are pets good gift for children?

Dreamer03

Reaction score
I thnk yes if the parents teach the child ho to be responsible about iy and not go throw away yhe poor aninal when they get tierd of it. I yhink it can teach children responsibility and kindness. Buy what you people think?

I think people should not get a pet just solely because the child wants it. The parents should want the pet as well. If you get a child a pet and you yourself did not want it, that is what results in getting rid of pets. Getting a pet is definitely a decision the whole house should agree on, or at least the parents. If it was up to me, I'd have a million pets! However, it's illegal in most cases and that would be incredibly expensive... :shock:

That is true thr parents must want it too. I thibk i would have a zoo if i went on getting more pets...

Speaking as a parent with pet loving children: I agree that parents must want to look after the pet as well. The reality is that despite all their good intentions, children are not consistent in their care of their pets. After all, they're still growing up and learning self-discipline. So parents need to pick up the slack (either by doing it themselves or proactively chasing up the child to do it). We've had loads of pets and I've enjoyed looking after them all.

Here's one of our current pets - an Irish Terrier called Rory. He's my daughter's dog. She had been wanting a dog for years and through her persistent asking showed that she was serious about looking after him. However the whole family is involved in looking after him. He's a wonderful addition to our family :)
u9ypugus.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a gift, no. But as something the whole household is involved in doing together, certainly! A decision to get a pet should be consider the pro's and con's and it would be a good teaching opportunity to include the child in the process but not give in to impulsiveness.

I've always been a "doggie person", and no trouble training them at all. My boys loved Cats...but they didn't love cleaning the Liter Box!...and even tho' I wrote up a system to which days they were supposed to empty and clean it...never worked!...So actually, I'm the one who took care of the pets....left the "loving and playing" to the boys, and they gave them plenty!

Right, as long as if Parents love animals then they can decide to allow kids to adopt pet. I am the one who takes care of four cats that my two kids wanted a cat each. They do their duty to give plenty of attentions to cats that i cant complain. :lol: They wanted a dog. I said, No because 4 cats are too much for us. I feel bad for kids because I do want a dog too!

Pets should never be giving as a 'gift' period . A dog or cat can live up to 12 yo. and they do not stay cute and little kitten and puppies for every long. A dog or cat should be the whole family responsibly , a child should never be left alone with a new pet . Too many pets end up being killed for biting a child and the child mostly get bitten in the face. There are better ways to teach a child responsibly , they make their own bed or have job to do around the house . Once when I was walking my last dog , Finlay I saw a teenage girl walking her dog. The girl dog saw Finlay and started to pull the poor girl off her feet and almost into the street to get to my dog. The girl was very lucky no cars where coming. The girl should had given the job of walking an untrained dog.
My answer is no.

Pets should never be giving as a 'gift' period . A dog or cat can live up to 12 yo. and they do not stay cute and little kitten and puppies for every long. A dog or cat should be the whole family responsibly , a child should never be left alone with a new pet . Too many pets end up being killed for biting a child and the child mostly get bitten in the face. There are better ways to teach a child responsibly , they make their own bed or have job to do around the house . Once when I was walking my last dog , Finlay I saw a teenage girl walking her dog. The girl dog saw Finlay and started to pull the poor girl off her feet and almost into the street to get to my dog. The girl was very lucky no cars where coming. The girl should had given the job of walking an untrained dog.
My answer is no.

I suppose you know that cats can live up to 20 yrs old. I m so pissed off at someone who gave up on kitty who was 22 yrs old because someone had no patience waiting for kitty to die for 22 yrs old so gave him up. :mad2:

I suppose you know that cats can live up to 20 yrs old. I m so pissed off at someone who gave up on kitty who was 22 yrs old because someone had no patience waiting for kitty to die for 22 yrs old so gave him up. :mad2:

Yes I do know cats can live that 20 , I met a guy who had Standard Poodle he told his dog lived to 20 yo . That is so sad about the 22 yo cat being given up. :( I was looking forward to grow old with Finlay . We where know all over the city and if went get a blood test without Finlay the nurses wanted to know where he was. Never mind about me needing a blood test, just how is my dog .

Ive had pets since i was little, probably only pet i did harm sadly was a fish. It was wintet so i yhought the fish might be feeling cold...so i used some hoy water...and you can imagen what happened to fish. Other than that i think my pets have done pretty well. Onr of my red slider turtles ive had since i was 6. Oo so thats the other question, at what time eould it be fine for someone to get a pet?

Right, as long as if Parents love animals then they can decide to allow kids to adopt pet. I am the one who takes care of four cats that my two kids wanted a cat each. They do their duty to give plenty of attentions to cats that i cant complain. :lol: They wanted a dog. I said, No because 4 cats are too much for us. I feel bad for kids because I do want a dog too!

That is so true. We had a Beagle named Rum and he was outside howling a lot, my dad brought the dog in and was going to kick the poor dog and I got in front of Rum and told my dad he had to kick me first before hurt the dog. Dad walked away. I was glad I was there when this happen as no one else would stopped dad.

Back