Are deaf kids bullied/harrassed more frequently than hearing kids in mainstream?

I was in 6th form, I'm taking a gap year atm

what's 6th form?

Sixth Year? sorry - I don't know how UK universities work. I'm from America. In here - most universities are 4 years.

there are some home owners association that bar blacks from living in certain neighborhoods... right here in the USA!

Really? You see hearing as a privilege? Why? I agree that we still live in a male dominated society but when did being Asian sudenly start being a privilege.

I'm not 100% sure, but, I think, it was when they started not blaming other races for their problems and took it upon themselves to overcome adversity(succeeding admirably), it's just a guess.

Howag, don't take any of the posts on here personally. It's just a conversation.

On topic: It's not a choice to be bullied, but it is a choice to have it define your life.

There was a horrendous dragging death in a rural town in Texas a few years back. You're deluding yourself if you think racism is dead.

I don't know where you got the idea that critical thinking and being able to write well aren't important. You sound very spoiled.

no..... you are not asking questions to understand it. you are asking questions in order to invalidate it.

I see that you came here to learn about deaf culture. the way you question us... yep you've got a lot to grow up because it's not how adults do it except ignorant type. you'll have to learn how to communicate tactfully without offending them.

Let me demonstrate for you...

you said this -

this is what a matured, understanding adult would say -

I admit i may have come across as defensive but that's only because when i said that i thought times have changed, as a reply i was told i was wrong because of that. I mean it's hardly a great example to prove that times haven't changed, all it proves is that negative attitudes towards people with disabilities still exists.

I don't know why, it's just seen as a bit of a "mickey mouse" subject by most universities, In my experience, out of 3 A levels required , most universities exclude general studies, sociology, critical thinking and even media studies...

What experience would that be? You have not even attended university. And how can they exclude it and offer doctorate programs in the subject at the same time?

The fact that you consider it to be a "Mickey Mouse" subject is just evidence of the fact that you have no idea what sociology is. You will need to develop a basic understanding of what the field even involves before you will be able to learn about and discuss culture with those much more experienced and learned than you yourself are.

There was a horrendous dragging death in a rural town in Texas a few years back. You're deluding yourself if you think racism is dead.

I don't know where you got the idea that critical thinking and being able to write well aren't important. You sound very spoiled.

Ok, once again I'm not denying that racism doesn't exist. I simply believe that it's not as bad as it once was. Also it is not my opinion that subjects such as critical thinking or bring able to write well aren't important. But there are a lot of universities in the UK which don't accept it among others as part of the 3 required A levels.

I admit i may have come across as defensive but that's only because when i said that i thought times have changed, as a reply i was told i was wrong because of that. I mean it's hardly a great example to prove that times haven't changed, all it proves is that negative attitudes towards people with disabilities still exists.

You were told you were wrong because you are wrong. You say that you came here to learn, yet you are preventing yourself from learning by trying to justify and argue why you are right when you have been told by those who know that you are wrong. Someone interested in learning would accept that, and use it as an opportunity to correct their errors.

do you have any disability organizations around you? you should go volunteer for a couple months.

I remember it. The details of this case made me feel sick.

What experience would that be? You have not even attended university. And how can they exclude it and offer doctorate programs in the subject at the same time?

The fact that you consider it to be a "Mickey Mouse" subject is just evidence of the fact that you have no idea what sociology is. You will need to develop a basic understanding of what the field even involves before you will be able to learn about and discuss culture with those much more experienced and learned than you yourself are.

My experience comes from applying to universities. When they give you an offer it might say a certain number of points or 3 grades like AAB from 3 A levels, they will then say that general studies or sociology or critical thinking is not accepted. I also don't consider it a mickey mouse subject, the universities do.I haven't taken any of them except for Media Studies.

My experience comes from applying to universities. When they give you an offer it might say a certain number of points or 3 grades like AAB from 3 A levels, they will then say that general studies or sociology or critical thinking is not accepted. I also don't consider it a mickey mouse subject, the universities do.I haven't taken any of them except for Media Studies.

Not accepted? What do you mean? You mean the classes you take at the "form?" then try to transfer credits to College?

I did a quick google and it seems that there are tons of sociology classes all over London. Goldsmiths looks good.

I'm all for integration, but this is a perfect example of the problem of misdirected racism...

It depends on whether that person wanted that neighborhood. Nobody is questioning that racism exist, but have you ever thought for a minute that putting that person in that neighborhood with a bunch of bigots is a bad idea? That it is, in fact, against the law for an agent to do the wrong on the part of a buyer based on their Principle Agent relationship? Yea, you can wrap yourself in the flag all you want, but at the end of the day that person has to deal with his or her neighbors not you.

So, the agent who realizes that family will be living next to the KKK should keep their mouth shut? Do you not see a problem with it?

Not everyone is an activist....

huh wtf?

Ok, once again I'm not denying that racism doesn't exist. I simply believe that it's not as bad as it once was. Also it is not my opinion that subjects such as critical thinking or bring able to write well aren't important. But there are a lot of universities in the UK which don't accept it among others as part of the 3 required A levels.

It still exists, and as long as it exists, it is still a huge problem. That is what you don't seem to grasp. Any degree of racism is unnacceptable. You are basing your beliefs on a lack of knowlege and experience. That is a huge mistake, and it is also why your errors are so easily pointed out.

I guess you better contact Oxford University and explain to them that they are offering advanced degrees in a "Mickey Mouse"subject that most universities don't accept as part of the 3 required A levels.

Are these 3 A levels that you keep referring to general educational requirements? There is a reason that sociology is not accepted, although there are many that do accept an introductory level as part of general university requirement under the head of social sciences. It is an advanced level of study to be undertaken after you have met your general requirements.

You were told you were wrong because you are wrong. You say that you came here to learn, yet you are preventing yourself from learning by trying to justify and argue why you are right when you have been told by those who know that you are wrong. Someone interested in learning would accept that, and use it as an opportunity to correct their errors.

I've simply been trying to explain why i said what i said. I'm not trying to be disrespectful or minimise anyone's experiences and if i have then i apologise. But as i've said before, when someone tells me that times have not changed because a restaurant gave them chicken thigh instead of chicken breast thinking she wouldn't know the difference....I can't help but ask questions.

You seriously need more experience than "applying to universities". A few years of actual study at university would do you well.:cool2:

Again, they don't consider it a "Mickey Mouse" subject. They consider that it is an advanced area of study that you will not be able to comprehend until you have passed your general requirements.

Thanks everyone. Your hugs and encouragement mean a lot to me. I often escaped through art such as drawing. I have some to post but it's not good art. I also wrote and one of the better moments was when I was given the schools English award. I remember my English teacher telling me I have talent for writing. Ever since I have tried to pursue that in some form one way or another. When I hear of another teen suicide due to bullying I can't help but think that could have been me. Sometimes I wish I could go to a school and speak about my experiences hoping it might help someone else. I was afraid to speak up for myself fearing more negative attention given to me. I would have rather melted under a rock than to have gone back to face that every day. Administrators often think its just kids being kids but it is so much more vicious than that. It needs to get better before the victim leaves school, and there needs to be policies in place that can adequately deal with this. Zero tolerance only silences it further by making the victim feel weak for coming forward. There needs to be a way to anonymously report incidents and those who witness such things should feel obligated to report it because the victi
Is often too afraid to speak up. Bullying has lead to the deaths of countless teens. It shouldn't take a suicide for schools to take serious actions. Those who bully and harrass others should be expelled and proper support services need to be utilized. This can and does interfere with student education and well being. I would have been grateful if I was given a chance to start over new somewhere else. Even now, I don't know if a heartfelt apology from my tormentors would help. Maybe barring bullies from school or at least barring them from any sort of contact with their victims once it is reported might help. I can't help but feel a tinge of jealousy when I hear about someone who was bullied and they got to transfer to another school and they blossom at their new school. I hated my school and it's my hope that my DD never has to go through what I went through. If that is ever the case, I would go to the ends of the earth to get her out of that situation. No kid should have to go through what I did. What I posted above was just a fraction of what I went through. I had my head bashed into lockers, I was slammed to the floor, I was picked last for teams or not picked at all, my vehicle at school was vandalized, my stuff was stolen, I was incited into fights, I've been punched, kicked, and shoved around. I was laughed at, made fun of, humiliated and embarrassed. Nothing helped. Hands were shoved in my pants, I was fondled, I was called every degrading name one could think of. I wished I could have gone to mars it was so bad. It took years and a caring person to help me finally want to come to terms with this. I'm hoping someday my story will help someone else.

:hug: Dixie, it must have been difficult for you to write this but you have communicated it very well and it is important you get your story out there. Thanks to AD you can, we all can, bring awareness to the realities of our various experiences.

Yes, I was mainstreamed in many different schools, and bullied by both classmates and some teachers, for me it was not physical (and for that I am thankful that I didn't have to go through want you went through). It was however, taunts, jeers, mockery, abasement and rejection. I remember writing in my diary when in primary school, but I felt so ashamed to write it that I threw my diary away.

It still exists, and as long as it exists, it is still a huge problem. That is what you don't seem to grasp. Any degree of racism is unnacceptable. You are basing your beliefs on a lack of knowlege and experience. That is a huge mistake, and it is also why your errors are so easily pointed out.

I guess you better contact Oxford University and explain to them that they are offering advanced degrees in a "Mickey Mouse"subject that most universities don't accept as part of the 3 required A levels.

Are these 3 A levels that you keep referring to general educational requirements? There is a reason that sociology is not accepted, although there are many that do accept an introductory level as part of general university requirement under the head of social sciences. It is an advanced level of study to be undertaken after you have met your general requirements.

I know it still exists though, i never denied the existence of racism. But do you really think that racism exists to the degree that it once did in the 50's/60's Would a black man be able to be president in those times?

I'm not in charge of university admissions or the entry requirements. If they want to exclude certain subjects in their offers then it's no skin off my nose if i didn't pick it.

The A levels are a qualification we get after our GCSEs which is the qualification we get after secondary school/high school. The full title is GCE Advanced Level

I've simply been trying to explain why i said what i said. I'm not trying to be disrespectful or minimise anyone's experiences and if i have then i apologise. But as i've said before, when someone tells me that times have not changed because a restaurant gave them chicken thigh instead of chicken breast thinking she wouldn't know the difference....I can't help but ask questions.

yes. I understand. You asked to try to understand but like I said - the way you asked was just bad and offensive.

I've already showed you how your question and my question can make a huge difference.

Back