Are deaf kids bullied/harrassed more frequently than hearing kids in mainstream?

I do think times have changed somewhat as people are more sensitive to what is politically correct. However, kids act like kids and you're never going to completely get around it.

Trust me, if there are bad things going on it's not done in front of the teachers.

Howag, people are very sensitive this subject because it hits so close to home because people have had really bad experiences. It's just something you have to live through to understand. Don't take the comments here too seriously people get jazzed up about everything.

The bold is you, right? You get all jazzed up by what we said about our experiences, right? Are you in denial on what had happened to you in the past?????

oh really? you did not reply to me in PM. i dont think you arent howag what I thought you are.

If you are 18 then how do i know you are 18 for real?

I've replied to your PM, why do i have to explain that i'm 18? :S

I've replied to your PM, why do i have to explain that i'm 18? :S

Yes i got your PM. Thank you for your tme.

So i can answer you as to why i asked, since you live for 18 yrs. You must just gotten out of "secure spot" high school. SO keep your eyes open and see for yourself how out there some of people may be harsh. i will say, about couple of years then you might have some experiences around diverse of people.

That's all i can say. :)

Yes i got your PM. Thank you for your tme.

So i can answer you as to why i asked, since you live for 18 yrs. You must just gotten out of "secure spot" high school. SO keep your eyes open and see for yourself how out there some of people may be harsh. i will say, about couple of years then you might have some experiences around diverse of people.

That's all i can say. :)

Yeah i just got your message as well, I appreciate the heads up!

I was quite the idealist when I got out of highschool and well into college. It was not until working a job and trying to be a good husband that I started interacting with the world at large and seeing all the bigitry and hatred and ignorance out there.

Be patience young Padawan!

You obviously do not live the same life that I live. I suspect a number of other people here would agree with me.

Laws may have changed. But the ingrained attitudes persist. You can choose to ignore the audist around you. I cannot.

You don't have to ignore anything, however, you do have to not let it affect you.

The world isn't some play sand box were everything is nice and that goes for everyone regardless of race or hearing ability. Just because someone has money or is a certain color does not mean a free ride.

People still have to get up in the morning and live in the real world. Nobody on this planet goes through life without problems and issues. Only a fool sees just the two extremes, one were everyone is audist and one were there are none.

I was quite the idealist when I got out of highschool and well into college. It was not until working a job and trying to be a good husband that I started interacting with the world at large and seeing all the bigitry and hatred and ignorance out there.

And, you're a better person for it...

You don't have to ignore anything, however, you do have to not let it affect you.

The world isn't some play sand box were everything is nice and that goes for everyone regardless of race or hearing ability. Just because someone has money or is a certain color does not mean a free ride.

People still have to get up in the morning and live in the real world. Nobody on this planet goes through life without problems and issues. Only a fool sees just the two extremes, one were everyone is audist and one were there are none.

I don't think our opinions on this issue are really all that different. Just our approaches. I believe that yes it does affect me and those around me. I can, to a point, decide how I want to react to something. This, however, has come with age.

I believe it was Shakespeare that said "All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players". We all have roles we play and we can choose how to play those roles. I think it is important to recognize audist when it happens. Recognizing it allows you to choose how to respond to it. I'm not saying that every one is or is not an audist (that would be silly and a frightful world). Many of us here are struggling with a boss or co-workers that make our lives much more challenging than it should ever be. confronting an audist is not always an option. This is the reality that we must face. Do we say something and have a fight on our hands or do we simply turn and look away and pretend that we were not hurt.

If you can go about dismissing the effects on you by audist around you makes me wonder what else you are missing. Sometimes audist behavior simply needs to be addresses before things can improve.

Who cares about less or more racism or discrimination? It still exists. And for those of us who experienced any form of that, we know the hurt that comes with that. There's no need for someone to question "are you sure that's what really happened?"

You're wrong, there is definitely a need for that question. It is a naive person who believes they are always right and it is an arrogant person who pushes it on others.

The fact of the matter is: Most of the problems between hearing an non-hearing is because of communication not intent. But people choose to make all incidents into racist or audist so they can take a moral high ground. However, that moral high ground has no basis in fact.

You're wrong, there is definitely a need for that question. It is a naive person who believes they are always right and it is an arrogant person who pushes it on others.

The fact of the matter is: Most of the problems between hearing an non-hearing is because of communication not intent. But people choose to make all incidents into racist or audist so they can take a moral high ground. However, that moral high ground has no basis in fact.

Right... if you are a police officer. But we are talking about someone's experience. Should we stop and question each and every poster? Or do we only questions those that have experiences outside our own experience?

If you can go about dismissing the effects on you by audist around you makes me wonder what else you are missing.

I don't dismiss the affect, I just choose to deal with it in a more positive way than sulking about it. I don't sit and complain about other people when I could be putting that energy into bettering my own life. Anything other than that does not make sense to me.

There is no difference between those who waste there time promoting bigotry and those who waste there time seeing nothing but bigotry, they are both equally wasting their time.

I don't dismiss the affect, I just choose to deal with it in a more positive way than sulking about it. I don't sit and complain about other people when I could be putting that energy into bettering my own life. Anything other than that does not make sense to me.

There is no difference between those who waste there time promoting bigotry and those who waste there time seeing nothing but bigotry, they are both equally wasting their time.

Ah, so that's what we have been doing... Thanks for clarifying this for us. :roll:

Right... if you are a police officer. But we are talking about someone's experience. Should we stop and question each and every poster? Or do we only questions those that have experiences outside our own experience?

We should stop and question what we think may be wrong before someone is wrongly tarred and feathered, this is everyone's duty not just a police officer.

We should stop and question what we think may be wrong before someone is wrongly tarred and feathered, this is everyone's duty not just a police officer.

There was no taring or feathering going on here. Botti simply relayed her restaurant experience where they substituted food thinking she would not notice the difference. She was upset about this and someone else questions if that really was what happened. I don't see the need to question her honesty or her perception of the situation. I think she relayed them exactly as she intended.

There was no taring or feathering going on here. Botti simply relayed her restaurant experience where they substituted food thinking she would not notice the difference. She was upset about this and someone else questions if that really was what happened. I don't see the need to question her honesty or her perception of the situation. I think she relayed them exactly as she intended.

I've already cleared this up, I wasn't questioning what happened. Simply questioning if perhaps her past experiences could have led to a clouding of judgement. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Are you talking about yourself???? I don't know how young you are. If you are young..... just wait and it will happen to you (that is if you are deaf).

I've already cleared this up, I wasn't questioning what happened. Simply questioning if perhaps her past experiences could have led to a clouding of judgement. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Yes you did clear this up. :)

Howag, you just keep digging your hole deeper. Less talk and more listening. Botti happens to be a very respected member of this community. I trust her perceptions. You haven't lived her life and it's not your place to question her perception.

ETA: Bott was assaulted in public yesterday. Please do not question her about this.

Back