Are blow up mattresses safe for dogs and cats?

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
If they're unsafe for either dogs or cats, can you let us know why ?"

I have no idea. But taking a stab at it.....I don't think it'd be all that dangerous for them, but it'd probably be a really bad idea. Like Edward Scissor hands getting a waterbed.

Definitely have to agree with amb... Not as sure as it would be "dangerous" per se... However, it might be "dangerous" to your wallet having to replace them from being popped all the time. :laugh2:

Would you buy a balloons from a thumb tack factory? Well, the mattress wouldnt stand a chance either. It would be safe but it would also be useless before it even got a chance to be used.

they could be easily punctured by teeth and claws, so I don't see air mattresses being all that great with animals haha.

h8CF120A6

Cat murdering balloon... ( Similar to what would happen to a blow up bed... )
AaUcHbJ.jpg

Ooooooooooooooor....
1449.gif

:laugh2:

What is it about air mattress that is unsafe for big guys like me?

Attachments

• IMG_20140213_102109.jpg
    IMG_20140213_102109.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 15
Danger of suffocation. Have you ever sat in one of those vagina-shaped chairs that swallows your whole body & you can't move? Imagine a 4 legged creature being stuck in one of those.

What is it about air mattress that is unsafe for big guys like me?

I mean dog personality. Our Siberian huskies don't damage anything. Our mix breed dog (great Dane and pitbull) love to chew whatever he smell soft plastic like water bottle, pen, etc.

His nails could be the culprit....need a trim, pronto!

Yep, just came here to say that your dog's nails need a massive trim. Probably will take you a few weeks to get them down to the appropriate length.

This site shows the proper angle to trim nails Cutting Your Dog's Nails . . . How Important Is it Really? | Susan Garrett's Dog Training Blog

It has a good talk that is unfortunately not captioned, but watch it for the drawing the vet makes at about 5:10. What she is showing is first the traditional cut that people normally make. Then she shows the angle that people should be making, and talks about how that extra bit under the quick goes away very quickly just by the dog's normal walking. The angle that she recommends works to push the quick back much better than the other angle.

This site explains a bit of what the vet explains, just with words and pictures!
The Truth About Nails | NE Ohio Greyhound Rescue, Inc. It shows how with just a little extra length on your dog's toes you completely change how the dog stands, and it goes from standing on their toes to rocking back on their heels, and this stretches out their ligaments and causes a cascade of pain and injuries and it's actually a big cause of obesity in dogs. The only issue with this site is it shows the old way to trim nails, when you should trim them like in the first article. That's how I trim my dogs' nails and have for years.

You're supposed to get the dog's nails trimmed to a length where you can't hear them when they walk on a hard surface like wood floors or bathroom floors. That does not help me any! I aim to keep mine trimmed as short as the paws in the dog legs photo at the top of the first site. The photos go through a series, just watch until you see a bunch of dog legs with super short nails. Those nails are for dogs that are in competition (like agility) but if you make that your goal, your dog's nail length will be fine and your air bed will be fine too.

Back