Aqua+ for Nucleus 6

mev426

Reaction score
I recently came across this new accessory for the Nucleus 6, that is available in Canada and currently pending FDA approval in the US. From what I've seen of Cochlear vs AB, a lot of people choose AB partially because of the Neptune being waterproof.

http://www.cochlear.com/wps/wcm/con...dion-nucleus-6-features#the-earth-is-70-water

Are there other differences between these two companies that are deal breakers? I might looking into getting a CI at some point in my lifetime, and at first I thought I might go with Advanced Bionics, but now I might lean more towards Cochlear. Any input?

Last edited:
This does make it look like cochlear are developing well.

When I do finally get the clearance re: other medical problems, to get a CI, I'll go for the AB Naida and Nepture. I've always worn Phonak and I love my Naidas so I feel the AB Naida will be suited to me more as it's got the tech inside that I'm already used to. Also my job is in water, so having the Nepture will me very handy. :)

I recently came across this new accessory for the Nucleus 6, that is available in Canada and currently pending FDA approval in the US. From what I've seen of Cochlear vs AB, a lot of people choose AB partially because of the Neptune being waterproof.

The Breakthroughs Continue With The Nucleus® 6 System

Are there other differences between these two companies that are deal breakers? I might looking into getting a CI at some point in my lifetime, and at first I thought I might go with Advanced Bionics, but now I might lean more towards Cochlear. Any input?

Will this really do what you want it to? I looked at the link and there is an * that when followed goes to this:

*With rechargeable sound processor battery option. Can be submerged in up to 3 feet of still water for up to 30 minutes. Not intended for swimming.

I have added bold and italic to what I think is easy to overlook.

Will this really do what you want it to? I looked at the link and there is an * that when followed goes to this:

*With rechargeable sound processor battery option. Can be submerged in up to 3 feet of still water for up to 30 minutes. Not intended for swimming.

I have added bold and italic to what I think is easy to overlook.

That first asterisk is about the IP57 rating of the Nucleus 6 without any extra protection. However, with the Aqua+ accessory, it is completely waterproof (i.e. swimmable).

And with the simple addition of the new Aqua Accessory, the Nucleus 6 Sound Processor is designed to be completely waterproof.**

With the Aqua+ you can enjoy under water activities with your Nucleus 6 Sound Processor. Just slip on the Aqua+ sleeve and the Aqua+ integrated coil-cable and you are ready for any adventure that comes your way!

I guess if you are seriously considering a CI you really want to look at the implant technology and capabilities. Cochlear can't match what AB and even Med-el have on the market right now. Having a waterproof cover for your processor is nice, but not really a reason to go with Cochlear in my opinion. You can achieve the same results using a long cord and a waterproof bag if it really came down to it.

I don't know that people go with AB because of the Neptune. It sure is a very nice option but I think most people go with AB because of the technology in the actual implant.

I guess if you are seriously considering a CI you really want to look at the implant technology and capabilities. Cochlear can't match what AB and even Med-el have on the market right now. Having a waterproof cover for your processor is nice, but not really a reason to go with Cochlear in my opinion. You can achieve the same results using a long cord and a waterproof bag if it really came down to it.

I don't know that people go with AB because of the Neptune. It sure is a very nice option but I think most people go with AB because of the technology in the actual implant.

Thank you, this is the kind of answer I was looking for! I was not trying to imply that the waterproof feature would be the only reason to choose one company over another; I certainly hope someone wouldn't use that as the sole reason to get one, even though it is really nice to have that option. However, how is AB's implant technology better than the other two? I'd like to research this. Do you have some sources I could look at?

This does make it look like cochlear are developing well.

When I do finally get the clearance re: other medical problems, to get a CI, I'll go for the AB Naida and Nepture. I've always worn Phonak and I love my Naidas so I feel the AB Naida will be suited to me more as it's got the tech inside that I'm already used to. Also my job is in water, so having the Nepture will me very handy. :)

Good point! Seeing as I also have Phonak hearing aids, maybe I should look into AB's Naida. :roll:

Just curious, what other medical problems are stopping you from getting a CI?

Good point! Seeing as I also have Phonak hearing aids, maybe I should look into AB's Naida. :roll:

Just curious, what other medical problems are stopping you from getting a CI?

I have a rare medical condition, only 8 in the whole world which means doing the surgery will put my life at great risk. I also don't heal very well at all, I take months to heal, stitches have to be in for a min of 5 weeks to be somewhat healed.

I would love to have the AB Naida. I'll only ever be able to have 1 CI so love the fact that the Naida HA will linked with the ComPilot. I also high suspect that eventally, the Naida HA and CI will be able to be filly linked so features like DuoPhone and ZoomControl will work as well.

I have a rare medical condition, only 8 in the whole world which means doing the surgery will put my life at great risk. I also don't heal very well at all, I take months to heal, stitches have to be in for a min of 5 weeks to be somewhat healed.

I would love to have the AB Naida. I'll only ever be able to have 1 CI so love the fact that the Naida HA will linked with the ComPilot. I also high suspect that eventally, the Naida HA and CI will be able to be filly linked so features like DuoPhone and ZoomControl will work as well.

I am puzzled by your statement that you will only ever be able to have 1 CI. Would you mind explaining more as I notice you list your location as Boston and not one of the countries that has a national health service that will only do one.

Thank you, this is the kind of answer I was looking for! I was not trying to imply that the waterproof feature would be the only reason to choose one company over another; I certainly hope someone wouldn't use that as the sole reason to get one, even though it is really nice to have that option. However, how is AB's implant technology better than the other two? I'd like to research this. Do you have some sources I could look at?

cochlear implant HELP

This is a great site, and especially the comparisons between the technology available. In simple terms, Cochlear technology in their implants is maxed out and while they can do some upgrades via the processors, it doesn't do anything for the current steering in the actual implant. With AB, only about 25% of the technology in the implant is used and that just gives you more growth potential down the road.

Get the device you think will fit your lifestyle best. With AB's Neptune, no casings/pouches needed to make it waterproof. Just make sure it's in its waterproof configuration (Control off, different cover on, and use the AquaMic with it). Ab also has its own casing in the work for the Naida Processor to make it "waterproof" too.

AB's capabilities and resources are currently at 25% capacity, so there is still tons more room for further improvements. Med-El is at about half (50%), and Cochlear is about maxed out unless they can develop a new chip that is capable of plenty more new upgraded improvements. AB and Phonak are under the same roof, the same technology in the Phonak hearing aids have been incorporated into the AB Naida CI (can use Compilot with both Naida CI and Naida HA if one is bimodal) and has some of the same features that the hearing aid provides, which is pretty cool. If one chooses to go bilateral and get 2 Naida CIs, it won't matter which processor goes on which ear, it'll recognize which ear it's on and pull up the correct programs to use for that ear (Cochlear and MedEl's processors are only just specific to the one ear it's programmed for, no switching ears). T-Mic capabilities, putting the mic in the bowl of your ear for more natural hearing, as compared to the mic behind the ear on a Cochlear processor (can even use T-mic with the Neptune if you get the T-Comm accessory). There are loads of differences between Cochlear and AB. AB also has paired simulation or individual simulation of the electrodes (which gives the patient even more options for processing strategies). AB has ClearVoice to help in noisy situations, and with the Naida it has the Zoom features which I've heard works better than Clearvoice even. There is also Optima, which can double the life of battery use on an AB processor as well.

I have AB and am far pleased with it. Sure wish I could get the Naida, but not eligible for an upgrade. AB also has newer processors in the works to be released either later this year or next year (seems to be a new processor on a yearly basis for the next 2-3 years).

I'm sure Cochlear is a good device too, but I just personally feel AB is better than Cochlear, technology wise. But that's just me.

I have Cochlear. Sure, my implant is not advanced as AB implant.. but the most important part to me is COMMITMENT. I want a manufacturer that support my implant for long time. Think 50-75 years. Cochlear always give out processor upgrades to all implant generations no matter how old your implant is. Can AB do that? Honestly, in my opinion, I dont think so. And the best part, I can hear great! All CI manufacturer are great and you cant go wrong with your choice! :)

I have Cochlear. Sure, my implant is not advanced as AB implant.. but the most important part to me is COMMITMENT. I want a manufacturer that support my implant for long time. Think 50-75 years. Cochlear always give out processor upgrades to all implant generations no matter how old your implant is. Can AB do that? Honestly, in my opinion, I dont think so. And the best part, I can hear great! All CI manufacturer are great and you cant go wrong with your choice! :)

Yes...

I'm pretty sure that all CI manufacturers are working and will work on making new processors available for older implants. They can't tell people with 20 years old implants "we don't care about you".

Anyways, Cochlear isn't so perfect with making upgrades available neither. I have a friend, she has old Nucleus 22, 18 or 19 years old and she is still using her old Spectra processor. The only processor she can upgrade to now is Freedom, which is 9 years old. As we can upgrade only once per 10 years and we have to pay 25 % of the price out of our pockets, I fully understand her that she doesn't want to buy Freedom now when there are TWO newest (and better) processors. A few years ago she hoped she'll be able to get N5, but in the end Cochlear skipped it and is working on making N6 available for Nucleus 22 implants. So she is still waiting.

I'm not saying that Cochlear is bad or anything (I have a N5 and I'm really happy with it), but I felt that your post about making newest processors available for older implants was a bit inaccurate :)

There is only one manufacturer that meets the backward compatibility concept you have in mind... Med El.

Also, Cochlear will not always give out processor upgrades to all implant generations. The N22 uses Freedom and not N5 or N6 currently because it is a different model from the N24. The N24, which has been repackaged over the years can use the most current processor because it is the same array. This is not a technological feature. It's stagnation. Just as N22 users are unable to immediately use any current processor without having it specifically developed for them, you will ultimately be unable to use future processors that are designed for use with a new array, one that does not repackage the N24. Are you still watching a black and white CRT television from 50 years ago? No, you are likely using a digital flat screen HD TV.

Also, in 50 years or 75 years, electrode arrays of the sort we currently use will not be tech of the day. It will be a different world by then. 50 years ago we didn't even have single channel electrodes. If you are actually still using your N24 at that point, the best you can hope for is refurbished replacements of a very old, out-dated, processor. Reality is you will more than likely not be using the same implant by that point.

Technological advancement is a good thing. It will only improve our hearing and what we wear (or don't wear... as completely implantable is most certainly the future.) Cochlear's tendency to market backwards compatibility is just that... marketing. It is not a feature. It's a cheap way to keep making money off of the same array design by repackaging it rather than producing a completely new array. Even the re-called CI500 array is still a re-packaging of the same array. This isn't something to take offense to. AB's Hi-Res 90K is their own N24 array. It has been deployed since 2001 in various configurations. Both arrays will be well served going forward and both arrays will ultimately be obsolete and replaced with something far better.

Cochlear has given indications that they want to produce a new array offering current steering. When that happens, that will put them in line with AB and Med El, but it will also leave N24 users behind because you will be unable to use a processor designed to work with and provide the types of strategies that are capable with current steering.

dxcxx

dxsss
I'm pretty sure that all CI manufacturers are working and will work on making new processors available for older implants. They can't tell people with 20 years old implants "we don't care about you".
Well.. Look what happen to AB Clarion 1.0 and C1.2 implant. They cannot get NaidaCI or Neptune upgrade. I asked AB if 1st gen Clarion recipients are getting upgrade and it seem AB is not clear on their answer. So I really dont know.

Anyways, Cochlear isn't so perfect with making upgrades available neither....
Im sorry about my post being misleading. I said that Cochlear give out processor upgrade to all implant generations. I didn't said specific kind of upgrade like N5 or N6.. It more of like.. all implant generation have an opportunity to upgrade to compatible processor. Like N22 get Freedom processor. That is a upgrade. You get me?
WOW! She still have her Spectra processor? Im surprised that it is still functioning considering it was so old. And you can only upgrade every 10years o.O is that some kind of policy in your country? Interesting

There is only one manufacturer that meets the backward compatibility concept you have in mind... Med El.
Yes I know MedEL have processor upgrade that is forward AND backward compatibility

Also, Cochlear will not always give out processor upgrades to all implant generations........
I recently post same answer on top

Also, in 50 years or 75 years, electrode arrays of the sort we currently use will not be tech of the day. It will be a different world by then. 50 years ago we didn't even have single channel electrodes. If you are actually still using your N24 at that point, the best you can hope for is refurbished replacements of a very old, out-dated, processor. Reality is you will more than likely not be using the same implant by that point.
True, we might have advanced arrays in the future like a CI use laser technology. I currently using Freedom implant which is very reliable and can last really long time. CI is getting reliable and more reliable So Im sure my CI will last me 50years and at some point, a CI manufacturer have to support my implant. Cochlear made a commitment to provide a compatible processor upgrade to all implant no matter how old the implant is. This is why I chose Cochlear.

Cochlear has given indications that they want to produce a new array offering current steering. When that happens, that will put them in line with AB and Med El, but it will also leave N24 users behind because you will be unable to use a processor designed to work with and provide the types of strategies that are capable with current steering.
Yes and no. I will get processor upgrade that have fancy features to help to hear better without the need for current steering. Like Nucleus 6 have new noise program that is comparable to AB ClearVoice.

WOW! She still have her Spectra processor? Im surprised that it is still functioning considering it was so old. And you can only upgrade every 10years o.O is that some kind of policy in your country? Interesting

Yeah, still working. Got some servicing a few years ago and it's still like a new one :)
And yes, we have this policy here .. hopefully not for long, we have to fight for change. I got my N5 2 years ago after 12 years with SPrint and I'm not really looking forward to waiting 8 more years to get something newer when N6 is already better :)

The N24, which has been repackaged over the years can use the most current processor because it is the same array.

There are two types of N24 - "plain" N24 and CI24RE - they differ a bit, the first one is older (released in 1998 or so, with SPrint processors) and can't be used with N6 yet, while CI24RE is "Freedom implant" and can be used with N6.

Back