Applied to ISD! :)

tbone

Reaction score
Hello all!

My name is Ryan. In case you didn't know. As most of you know or have learned by now, I am an ASL student.

Through my experiences as an ASL student and learning more about the Deaf community and culture, I have finally come to the realization that I never want to stop learning about ASL, Deaf people, and their culture. I can thank my ASL teachers, FJ and Tim (both whom are Deaf), for opening my heart and eyes to the Deaf community. They truly worked hard on me and it has paid off. Because of my teachers and my Deaf friends, I decided to apply for a job at the Iowa School for the Deaf.

Am I scared? Yes! Do I know what I'm getting myself into? Yes and no. Will I regret this decision? Not in a life! :)

What, if anything, should I know about working at a deaf institution or a residential school for the deaf?

By the way, I applied for the Houseparent/Residential Assistant position.

Thanks for your reply in advance!

YOu reminds me of a hearing guy who I had when I was at NIU(Northern Illinois University). He would fingerspell fast, really fast so to see if I would understand him. Yes, I did. If you get this job, why not have a fingerspelling contest with deaf students and see who wins????

Because they would out fingerspell me so quickly. Haha

I'm all about learning and relating to people. I want to learn more about those students, their community, and their culture. :)

Let's just say I'm not your typical ASL student. I want to do far more than just complete my foreign language requirement. I want to become an advocate for Deaf people around the nation.

Back