Applied to Iowa School for the Deaf!

tbone

Reaction score
Hello all!

My name is Ryan. In case you didn't know. As most of you know or have learned by now, I am an ASL student.

Through my experiences as an ASL student and learning more about the Deaf community and culture, I have finally come to the realization that I never want to stop learning about ASL, Deaf people, and their culture. I can thank my ASL teachers, FJ and Tim (both whom are Deaf), for opening my heart and eyes to the Deaf community. They truly worked hard on me and it has paid off. Because of my teachers and my Deaf friends, I decided to apply for a job at the Iowa School for the Deaf.

Am I scared? Yes! Do I know what I'm getting myself into? Yes and no. Will I regret this decision? Not in a life!

What, if anything, should I know about working at a deaf institution or a residential school for the deaf?

By the way, I applied for the Houseparent/Residential Assistant position.

Thanks for your reply in advance!

Your asl had better be verrry good if you will be an ra. Otherwise the students will walk all over you. Then the only way you will know what they say about you is in the bathroom stalls

For the most part my ASL skills are pretty good. I'm active in ASL Club, CRAD, and chat with customers at my local grocery store. If they need help, I'm always there for them!

The only way I can get better with my ASL is by conversing with native signers. CODAs, Deaf people, and Experienced Signers.

Thank you for your help!

Hope there are enough deaf staff there to be role models for kids at the dorms....hearing ones do not cut the mustard oftentimes but there are few that has proven me wrong.

Being a RA for dorm and being member of ASL club are 2 different things. I don't know if you've went to a lot of deaf events?

Also curious about ISD. It would be a very enhancing experience if you can get it.

Born - Without a doubt you are most certainly right! Deaf children need a Deaf role model in their lives growing up so that they can go to this person and ask them questions whenever something is on their mind. I know I'm HOH/Hearing and I may not have a whole lot of knowledge on Deaf culture or the community but I do know how to treat people and I am an active listener. I genuinely love listening to peoples' stories and seeing their lives improve because of my suggestions. I am definitely nervous for the jon (if I get it) but know in my heart that it will be a rewarding experience. Because both the students and I will be changing each other's live drastically throughout our time at ISD.

Derek - I've been to quite a few Deaf events and might I say I've enjoyed every single one. I've also come to the realization that most of the Deaf people I meet are way more down to earth than majority of the hearing people I know. I guess it's much harder for me to tell if a Deaf person is being fake or not (please do not take offense to this statement). With hearing people I can tell pretty easy.

I would love to work at the ISD but I know I will need to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! I'd say my major weakness are my receptive skills because sometimes a Deaf person or an experienced signer will get excited and begin to sign really, really fast. And I'm like, woooooaahhh buddy. Please slow down.

Although, I'm an ASL 4 student, I still feel like I have the signing ability of a 3 year old.

Practice does not make it perfect but it will make it better!

Back