Anyone with ci's in both ears?

Ian MacGregor

Reaction score
I have suffered with tinnitus for 25 years. After getting a CI in my right ear, I noticed that the tinnitus in that ear was almost eliminated. Would it be fair to assume that the tinnitus in my left ear would also be drastically reduced when I get my left ear implanted? I have to wait for 6 months to get my left CI - clinic requires the waiting period - but I can already tell it will be beneficial for the hearing restoration alone.

There are no guarantees it will reduce/eliminate tinnitus. I still have tinnitus in my right ear, the implant didn't make a difference.

There are no guarantees it will reduce/eliminate tinnitus. I still have tinnitus in my right ear, the implant didn't make a difference.
Thank you very much, this is good to know. Well, if the tinnitus doesn't change, it will be no worse than it is now.. at least the CI will help with hearing.

I had my first CI installed on the 27th of October, it will be turned on for the first time on the 19 of December and I am already scheduled for the second ear on the 5th of January, I am not sure why they would make you wait 6 months, my Dr told me I just needed 2 weeks after they turn the first on to make sure that I want the second. With Tinnitus I too noticed an absolute drop in static noise on that side, I even pick up mummering sounds when people talk now I have not heard before.

Tell me when you got your CI what it sound like at first?

I had my first CI installed on the 27th of October, it will be turned on for the first time on the 19 of December and I am already scheduled for the second ear on the 5th of January, I am not sure why they would make you wait 6 months, my Dr told me I just needed 2 weeks after they turn the first on to make sure that I want the second. With Tinnitus I too noticed an absolute drop in static noise on that side, I even pick up mummering sounds when people talk now I have not heard before.

Tell me when you got your CI what it sound like at first?
Thank you for the feedback, Everlucent, that is good information. I got my right ear implanted on the 9th of this month and it was activated a week later. At first, everything sounded "robotic", but after using it for two weeks things are beginning to sound like I remember them. My audiologist told me that the "robotic" sound would diminish into a more natural sound with time as my brain gets accustomed to hearing again.

I already know that I want to get my left ear implanted, I just have to be patient for the required 6 month wait.

Wow that's great! I wonder why my doc is making me wait 6 weeks before turning them on?!? He told me it had to heal completely first

Wow that's great! I wonder why my doc is making me wait 6 weeks before turning them on?!? He told me it had to heal completely first
It's surgeon-specific, could have to do with the method used for implantation. Maybe he wants the incision to heal before putting a sound processor over it. They didn't use sutures with me, they used Dermabond, and my incision was healed in a week.

Back