Anyone out there with a reverse cookie bite loss?

rivenoak

Premium Member
Reaction score
Looking to make contact with folks who have this kind of loss, which is what my son has.

:wave::ty:

Looking to make contact with folks who have this kind of loss, which is what my son has.

:wave::ty:
I believe mine is considered a reverse cookie bite. I have loss in both the low freq's and the high freq's.

Last edited:
I have a cookie bite loss. I don't know what a reverse cookie bite is

ETA: I looked it up. It's the exact opposite of what I have. Sorry I can't help.

What is this...."reverse cookie bite loss"?....

That's where you hear better in some pitches in the middle of the audiogram. It's suppose to be rare -- so rivenoak may not get a lot of responses.

It can make it more challenging to get a hearing aid appropriately programmed. It depends where you start hearing better and where the "programming handles" are in the hearing aid.

More information on different types of hearing loss from a hearing measurement point of view -- not a medical one:

Kinds of Hearing Losses

That's where you hear better in some pitches in the middle of the audiogram. It's suppose to be rare -- so rivenoak may not get a lot of responses.

It can make it more challenging to get a hearing aid appropriately programmed. It depends where you start hearing better and where the "programming handles" are in the hearing aid.

More information on different types of hearing loss from a hearing measurement point of view -- not a medical one:

Kinds of Hearing Losses

Thks!...I goggled it also. Interesting.

I think that'd be me. I've had two audiograms before... the first showed most loss in the high frequencies, the second showed I was starting to lose more in lower frequencies, too... Ive been having more and more trouble with low pitches, so Im actually going in on Friday for another test... we'll see!

Jazzberry, thanks for posting that link for everyone to read.

Yes, everything I've learned about this kind of loss is that it's rare. I visited an audie last week for me (well, hello there, loss in the high frequencies!) and she was intrigued that I said my son's loss was reverse cookie bite.

I believe mine is considered a reverse cookie bite. I have loss in both the low freq's and the high freq's.

I read your post on the "Why are you deaf" thread. Was your mother's loss the same as yours?

Is there anyone else deaf in your family?

Do you feel that your HAs are programmed well to meet your losses? Has it been difficult to get them programmed correctly?

Anything you would care to talk about, with having this kind of loss? I'd be happy to read anything you have to say on the subject!

I think that'd be me. I've had two audiograms before... the first showed most loss in the high frequencies, the second showed I was starting to lose more in lower frequencies, too... Ive been having more and more trouble with low pitches, so Im actually going in on Friday for another test... we'll see!

If you don't mind sharing when you get back, I'd be interested to know how you tests go.

While I went to the audie because I'm having trouble hearing men's voices, bass in music, things like that, but it was the higher frequencies that showed a loss. It's true that I don't hear things like my kid's HAs feeding back when they're in a case, but that didn't bother me too much to not hear!

Have to see the ENT next week for further look-sees & to discuss the fact that I have no tympanic reflex.

I read your post on the "Why are you deaf" thread. Was your mother's loss the same as yours?

Is there anyone else deaf in your family?

Do you feel that your HAs are programmed well to meet your losses? Has it been difficult to get them programmed correctly?

Anything you would care to talk about, with having this kind of loss? I'd be happy to read anything you have to say on the subject!

I'll have to look for my mom's "chart" (I have her last one).
My sister has been HoH since childhood, but I have no idea what her hearing loss is.

When I got my Phonak Naidas last year, I had the REM test done and it verified what I had noticed (and didn't "recognize" with my Otican Sumos) - that the computer over compensated for the low freqs and I was hearing too much bass. Using the REM, my audie adjusted them and they seem "perfect" to me. My previous audie (where I got the Sumos from) does not do REM, which is one of the reasons I switched audies after having read about REM (real ear measurement).

If you don't mind sharing when you get back, I'd be interested to know how you tests go.

Checked my schedule, I'm actually going Friday of NEXT week, not this week... but if I remember to, I can certainly let you know how it went! :)

I have RCB in both ears..
Good luck with finding anybody who knows what it is,has actually seen a case and knows how to program your HA's successfully.

I have RCB in both ears..
Good luck with finding anybody who knows what it is,has actually seen a case and knows how to program your HA's successfully.

I have a rare mid-frequency loss in my right ear and I'm a cookie biter in both ears. I'm the first case my audiologist has seen and he has done extremely well with my HAs. Doesn't mean people can't find them out there.

My audiogram is a ski slope too.

mine is just plain odd looking. Kind of sort of a reverse ski slope maybe. I have trouble with low pitches (men's voices in particular) hearing drops in the middle range but better in the high pitches. I've noticed I'm losing more in the low pitch range so it's starting to look more like a true reverse ski slope :(

We'll see when I get my new aids (Oticon Sumo right now) what my audiogram looks like. I've never heard of this REM thing though ...:hmm:

Reverse cookie bit hearing loss

I have a reverse cookie bite hearing loss. I have a loss in low frequencies and high frequemcoes.

Back