Anyone interested in meeting some deaf and hoh people in Mongolia?

Zuhura

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm a British person currently living Mongolia and I've become friends with some Mongolian deaf and hoh people here. I'm also invloved in a series of web-conferening meetings for teaches in places from Sri Lanka to Tokyo and it gave me the idea to try and link some groups of deaf and hoh people around the world.
There is a really great group of people in the Mongolian Deaf Youth Section and they're interested in talking to new people and learning about other places, and I was wondering if anyone might be interested becoming an informal deaf and hoh group to be on the other end of the camera? We could meet on-line once a month or so and chat about whatever is important to the people involved but I was thinking it could possibly include comparing deaf cultures in everyone's respective countries, relationships, employment and education etc.
Obviously most of the people here know Mongolian Sign Language, but a few of them know ASL and there are some other people involved who are fluent ASL and we might try and organise some ASL training for Mongolians beforehand. One of the good things about doing this is the opportunity for them to learn a bit of another SL and about life in other countries and different cultures.
In return you giys get know more about Mongolia which is a really interesting and amazing place that a lot of people don't know much about, find out about life here and what it's like to be deaf or hoh in Mongolia or you could even learn a bit of MSL!
You'd need access to a room with some web-conferencing facilities and good internet connection. You might be able to get this for free from a company at the weekend?
Please let me know if you would be interested,or if you know anyone who would be, or any groups who do this kind of thing already. I'd really appreciate any advice or help!
My email is zuhurap@hotmail.com
Thanks!
Zuhura

NB
I am a hearing person, and I'm just helping these Mongolian people set it up, but it will be led by them.
It is not a fundraising opportunity, and in no way will you be asked to help financially.

This is a wonderful project! I do hope that deaf members take you up on your offer.

Back