Anyone here works in library?

Reaction score
Anyone here work in library?

I work in library as page staff for almost a year now. I love it!

Good grief, RustyLastCall05, where have you been gone for a long time?

:welcome: back to AllDeaf Forum. I do hope you can stick around and stay on AllDeaf. I have not been to the library but someday I will go when the right time for me to go and get some books. :wave:

I heard it's hard to get a job in a pubic library , most people stay with the job for years . You're lucky to have a job you love.

I worked at public library for two years starting at 15 years old in 1997. I had same job as you.

Always wondered about library jobs being easy for a deaf ASL user?

Dunno...but did read that Librarians are becoming a vanishing breed...

Yeah. Library hours are reduced, staff hours are cut.

Both my kids were library pages for jobs while in high school.

I wish I could work in a library, but sadly, the job compensation is inadequate for what I would desire to have.

Dunno...but did read that Librarians are becoming a vanishing breed...

I concur! There was a library recently set up that has no physical books as books, periodicals, etc can be only read digitally. Here's the link to the article talking about the library.

Digital Library in Texas

I know one Deaf female in her mid 50s whose sister of my old friend that lives two blocks away from my home, she works at a library in my hometown for over 20 years. She has never been married and no children, she does not socialize with deafies ever since after graduated from high school. How strange I have barely seen her around working in the library during the day. She must be very good at hiding from me.

I volunteered in high school at the library for two years, then I worked at my college's library for 8 months. Best job for deafies if I say so myself.

I loved the fact that the library wasn't so noisy, another poster was right though, it's really hard for someone to get a job at a library nowadays.

me too. very nice work in library
g.png

I might get the same type of job (part time) as you Rusty. In about a month or so my public library will be having interviews for those who did best on a test that was conducted earlier this month. I hope I did well on the exam. Fingers and toes crossed!

I adore books! Being surrounded by selves and selves of books will make my happy.

:D

_

Electronic libraries still need librarians.

I just bought a house and my local library is only five minutes away. It's wonderful. It is the top library system in the state, and one of the best in the country. A lot of that has to do with the library being reclassified legally as education in this county. The way they integrated the library system with all the public schools and the community college has served as a model for many other libraries. Everyone who registers for school gets a library card the instant they register and the schools other than community college all have field trips where they are taught how to use the library. That in itself removes a lot of barriers of access.

Back