Anyone from Europe?

Lukin

Reaction score
I was wondering if there are some AD members who are from Europe? Although I was born in Europe, and was raised most of my life in America. When I first arrived in Praha, Czech people would say, "Oh, you American again?!"

Post away if you are from here! :cheers:

I think all the europe deaf are a little off their hay after having a hamburger recently.

So your nationality is American? I thought you were of a European nationality for some reason. :shrug:

So your nationality is American? I thought you were of a European nationality for some reason. :shrug:

I was born in Vienna, then moved to America during Reagan time (my dad was a Navy officer).

And I moved back again, but I still consider myself as an American, been near DC for most of my life.

My ancestors are from Europe, that's about as close as I've been, so far. lol

You seem a lot more American than European, based on your posts.
Do the people of Prague accept you well for your Americanized upbringing?
How well do you communicate with Europeans who do not know ASL?

I'm aware some Europeans aren't receptive to Americanized folks, they get seen as outsiders (same thing happens to British vs American I guess).

I am originally from USSR. Been in America for 18 years and still now. I have visited my country several times.

There used to be several European ADers but I havent seen them here in a long time.

My nationality is a mixture of European but I am like 5 th generation American so no European ties at all.

I am originally from USSR. Been in America for 18 years and still now. I have visited my country several times.

USSR included several countries, like Ukraine, Russia, etc.

Which country would you say you are from, now?

Years ago, I met nationalized U.S. citizen who emigrated from the USSR and he was a big fan of the U.S. Constitution for some reason... :hmm:

USSR included several countries, like Ukraine, Russia, etc.

Which country would you say you are from, now?

Years ago, I met nationalized U.S. citizen who emigrated from the USSR and he was a big fan of the U.S. Constitution for some reason... :hmm:

Leningrad, USSR. :D

You seem a lot more American than European, based on your posts.
Do the people of Prague accept you well for your Americanized upbringing?
How well do you communicate with Europeans who do not know ASL?

I'm aware some Europeans aren't receptive to Americanized folks, they get seen as outsiders (same thing happens to British vs American I guess).

Yeah, I moved here not long ago, after Obama election. Been living in USA for over 20 twenty years since the early life. I have only been here since 2009 or close to that.

I find that learning a host language tend to have more respect among the hosts... Here in CR, they seem have some bitter attitude about Americans being unable to learn second language.

About communication- you talking about in European languages or Czech sign language?

EDIT: had to reread this part from the bottom post. Yeah, about "Europeans aren't receptive to Americanized folks" comment- they are often seen as economic and cultural invaders from the west, and they are usually thought of a bit uncultured when it comes to European history and society. This is quite common in much of Europe.

Last edited:
There used to be several European ADers but I havent seen them here in a long time.

Maybe American deaf Internet users are more conscious? :dunno:

I mean, religion is just as dead as existentialist philosophy those days... Or maybe it's just a thing of CR's witty cultural affiliation with the past oppressive regime. I find that Czechs are fighting as hard as they can to forget about, although not among younger generation.

Example, one joke is usually told in a dry sense of humor around here when a non-Czech is curious about the Communist era: "We pretend to work and they pretend to pay us."

Uhh i dont know how this subject got off track, had quite too much wine, I'm off from today, but yeah, Czech society can be very unconscious when it comes to politics or economics, as they mostly aren't interested in it. Maybe Internet is the same thing?

I was conceived in Germany, born in Ohio USA and lived back in Germany from 2-6. Been back several times since then. Firmly identify as American but I do love Europe....

Hi!

I´m German, I live in Germany and I will still be a German the next 10 years:rofl:

Why are you searching for someone in Europe?

Hi to all, i'm Italian, i live in North East... in the Oscar Pistorius's second house... where less than an one hour you could be in: Montain, Beach, Venice, Slovenia, Austria, Veneto... there are a lot of street for MB, bike, walking, and event. One of the most important reaggae event was a few kilometer away from my contry: Rototom SunSplash reaggae Festival, now it is in bocassium in Spain. My dream is living in a place for surfing...and find a girl...
:)

Hola a todos!
Erikinho:wave:

Back