Anyone else here make their own wine/beer?

hoodoowytch

Reaction score
I am curious if anyone here brews up their own wine or beer? I have been learning to make fruit wines and Mead and perfecting my recipes. So far so good. My wine(s) have turned out pretty well and I have found using the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid) method works the best.

Beer, on the other hand might be a bit trickier as I have Celiac disease and everything I have read so far about making gluten free beer is a bit complicated.

Any home brewers here? If so, any suggestions?

not me

im an avid drinker but i dont make my own not enough time, , full time student

I just got the stuff I need to make Mead, and I'm really excited to try it!

I just got the stuff I need to make Mead, and I'm really excited to try it!

OH! I love Mead! I found a 17th century mead recipe that was used in one of the old monasteries in England. I hope to get to try it out soon myself. Want the recipe?

One time, at a local group we decided to all bring in home made mead, wine, beer ect for a contest. I was a judge... The meads were awesome... but dear lord... Someone made a Chocolate beer... I about puked... Every time I think of home made beer I think of that chocolate beer... and how disgusting and vile it was... blech!!! Never again... never again...

One time, at a local group we decided to all bring in home made mead, wine, beer ect for a contest. I was a judge... The meads were awesome... but dear lord... Someone made a Chocolate beer... I about puked... Every time I think of home made beer I think of that chocolate beer... and how disgusting and vile it was... blech!!! Never again... never again...

Chocolate beer? Oh gods that sounds disgusting. Chocolate goes good with a lot of things...but I can't see it making a good beer. Believe me...there is really good beer out there...LOADS of it. You might like Lambics...they are really fruity beers that don't even taste like beer. Taste more like those wine cooler thingies...but have a bit more of a kick. Personally, I like dark beers...unfortunately I can't find any of the gluten free variety around where I live. SO, got to learn to make my own seeing as how I can't get any shipped to me.

Mead is awesome. Honey makes GREAT wine. :D

Chocolate stout does not taste like chocolate! I love lambic ales, and ciders like Angry Orchard. Not a beer fan, but I hang out with snobs so I found ones that I enjoy.

I will ask my husband tonight, he is a beer snob and brews with friends. I vaguely remember a conversation about gluten free beer during a get together.

Yeah by mistake once. I left my apple cider out and it got hard . When I lived in Northern California there part of town called 'Whisky Hill' and some people made their whisky and wine and used all kind of fruits . There was not a lot of jobs around or stores so it was a why to make money. The wine was not bad for homemade wine. It was really crazy living in Whitethorn in the 70's.

Last edited:
Chocolate beer? Oh gods that sounds disgusting. Chocolate goes good with a lot of things...but I can't see it making a good beer. Believe me...there is really good beer out there...LOADS of it. You might like Lambics...they are really fruity beers that don't even taste like beer. Taste more like those wine cooler thingies...but have a bit more of a kick. Personally, I like dark beers...unfortunately I can't find any of the gluten free variety around where I live. SO, got to learn to make my own seeing as how I can't get any shipped to me.

Mead is awesome. Honey makes GREAT wine. :D

Uuuuuuugh just thinking about that chocolate beer makes me want to puke all over again! It did NOT taste like chocolate!!! It was a LIE ALL A LIE!!! :shock:

In the Carolinas, we call it moonshine! Illegal to make, but if ya get your hands on some, say goodnight sweetie! :P

That... that would be the best sleep I've ever had... *tear* It sounds... so beautiful... lol!

In the Carolinas, we call it moonshine! Illegal to make, but if ya get your hands on some, say goodnight sweetie! :P

I grew up in the sticks I know a few that makes it so I'll visit a friend and pick up a jar of it for you next time your up this way ;)

I try making my own beer, but I'm much better at drinking it!
My wife bought me a Mr.Beer kt last christmas, so I've made about 5 batches with that so far, the first couple were a bit bland, so I experimented a bit with different ingredients and how much time it took the beer to brew, and the other batches have been much better!
I've got a Coopers kit as well, so I'll probably try that in the next few weeks...

There's a Macedonian friend at work who makes his own wine, it's a little rough and ready, but by God it's strong stuff!

my first husband made banna wine,it was good..he brewed beer in kids bedroom mainly so fumes make them sleep..kiwi wine is very good

ooooooh, Moonshine is about the only hard liquor I like...the only other one is Absinthe. I've had some of that really good double back and twisted Kentucky Moonshine. Would love to sit me up a little gallon sized still and make some.

Otherwise, I stick to making homemade wine. Used to be all alcohol was homemade. Why homebrewers got the idea of setting a big commercial breweries and distilleries. :D

Chocolate stout does not taste like chocolate! I love lambic ales, and ciders like Angry Orchard. Not a beer fan, but I hang out with snobs so I found ones that I enjoy.

I will ask my husband tonight, he is a beer snob and brews with friends. I vaguely remember a conversation about gluten free beer during a get together.

That would be cool. I am just learning and I don't want to spend a shitload of money on supplies only to have my gluten free beer turn out to taste like shit or something else undrinkable. LOL

The cops never came near Whitethorn as there was really nothing there. I had no electric , or plumbing when I lived in a cabin I was renting as there where no power lines . People fought over waters holes and a guy was shoot and buried in the woods and it took the cops 3 days to find the bodies. Two men claimed the water belong to them. Someone had a pot farm and the plants where huge . He cut them to look like evergreen trees so when the cops did fly over in their helicopters they would not notice the plants.

The cops never came near Whitethorn as there was really nothing there. I had no electric , or plumbing when I lived in a cabin I was renting as there where no power lines . People fought over waters holes and a guy was shoot and buried in the woods and it took the cops 3 days to find the bodies. Two men claimed the water belong to them. Someone had a pot farm and the plants where huge . He cut them to look like evergreen trees so when the cops did fly over in their helicopters they would not notice the plants.

Wow...sounded like a rough place to live. :shock: Hmmm...wonder what pot beer or wine would be like?:hmm::naughty:

Back