Anyone care to tutor me in linear equations?

Dixie

Farting Snowflakes
Premium Member
Reaction score
We went over this tonight in class and frankly it is only clear as mud to me.

Ex:
5(3x-4)=5+8x-2
Solve for x.

We did distribution, elimination, and grouping like terms as well as fractions and eliminating denominators in fractions to get whole numbers.

In the above equation I have no clue what the value of x is. Maybe someone here can work this one out and explain it to me further so I can understand it.

I have one week before my next class and I want to be on solid ground with it before then.

5(3x-4)=5+8x-2
Solve for x.

15x - 20 = 3 + 8x
7x = 23
x = 23/7

I used to be good at maths, but now I have totally forgotten everything. Time to refresh my memory I think.

Jiro already did it. Do you have a different answer Meg?

I believe Jiro is correct.

Code:
 5 ( 3x - 4 ) = 5 + 8x - 2
     15x - 20 = 3 + 8x
15x - 20 [color=red]+ 20[/color] = 3 + 8x [color=red]+ 20[/color]
          15x = 23 + 8x
     15x [color=red]- 8x[/color] = 23 + 8x [color=red]- 8x[/color]
           7x = 23
       7x [color=red]/ 7[/color] = 23 [color=red]/ 7[/color]
            x = 23 / 7

Thanks for explaining how to get x on its own. You refreshed my memory..:)

Linear equation is a lot of fun u need to practice more. I also tutor one student recently.

Wait until you start doing complex equations where you have many different kinds of x's in the problem.

My thoughts precisely jiro when I left the class.

BTW - thanks Vampy for clarifying it for me (I think - at least it is more understandable now)

Anyway I have zip off yet again to church, this is the first time I have touched a computer in DAYS. This has not been a good Labor Day weekend.

dixie i loved this shit, its basically doing the same thing on both sides, eliminating the brackets, tackle the multiplications/subtractions then deal with the simplest addition or subtraction but it has to be done on Both sides. a good hint here, start eliminating the side with brackets, well it helps , most of the time. Cheers

but i havent done this shit for a long time to 'tutor' hell there should be some websites with ideas for these mathematical problems.

Welcome to the club!

I once understood this, but now forgot alot about this cause I rarely use them in the last 10 years.

We went over this tonight in class and frankly it is only clear as mud to me.

Ex:
5(3x-4)=5+8x-2
Solve for x.

We did distribution, elimination, and grouping like terms as well as fractions and eliminating denominators in fractions to get whole numbers.

In the above equation I have no clue what the value of x is. Maybe someone here can work this one out and explain it to me further so I can understand it.

I have one week before my next class and I want to be on solid ground with it before then.

This thread is old, I posted this way back in the fall! And don't worry guys, I no longer need tutoring for those linear equations. I'm set to pass my college mathematics class so once this class is done, I'm finished with math completely (aside from chemistry and biology).

Back