Anybody familiar with Virginia Voc Rehab?

Etoile

Reaction score
I have an appointment this afternoon with VR, I am in Virginia. Does anybody know anything about VR here? Are they generous, or is it hard to get things you need? I am excited and nervous at the same time!

I have an appointment this afternoon with VR, I am in Virginia. Does anybody know anything about VR here? Are they generous, or is it hard to get things you need? I am excited and nervous at the same time!

I'm familar with it and I'm not wild about it as it's hard to get what you need. DRS is not recomended at all.

I'm familar with it and I'm not wild about it as it's hard to get what you need. DRS is not recomended at all.

Yep that is true. DRS do sucks big time. VRS not used to be the same as they were 20 years ago used to help deaf and hoh find jobs fast for us. Now it change and it not that great anymore. That why we have new deaf club called "SVSD", " Southeastern Virginia Society For The Deaf" is now trying to set up a deaf resources for the deaf and heard of hearing. Here is the link
for SVSD. Southeastern Virginia Society for the Deaf I used to be the secondary for SVSD so now. We need more support for deaf and hoh to have a better life. :wiggle:

Oh boy, not good news! Well, I will go there today and see what they will offer me. If they give me anything, it is better than nothing...

I'm from VA too and my VR was great to me when I went to RIT. I got full coverage (paid tutition in full) and got a monthly check to help pay with my rent and other expenses. I guess it varies on the area.

Good luck!

I don't know. I do know that each vocational rehab office varies.

If you get screwed, don't immediately blame the office. There could be other factors behind the strict policies... usually due to abuse by former clients. :(

Wow, the rules have really changed in Virginia. Just being disabled no longer means they will serve you. You are categorized according to how many "barriers to employment" you have. For example, a late-deafened person has one barrier to employment: they cannot hear. They are otherwise well-educated, well-qualified, have already proven themselves to be a good worker...so their only barrier is that they cannot hear. A deaf-blind person has two barriers: they cannot hear, and they cannot see. A deaf person with mental handicaps has two (or more) barriers. And so forth. However, the only people who get immediate service are people with THREE or more barriers to employment. Everybody else gets put on a waiting list. IF, and only IF, the state has money, the people at the top of the list get served. However...if you have two barriers, you are placed higher on the list than someone with one barrier. And of course they look at your financial situation too. If you are two barriers and poor, you are on the top of the list. If you are two barriers and rich, you are below that. If you are one barrier and poor, you are below THAT. One barrier and rich, you are at the bottom of the list. I am considered one barrier...and I don't know how they would evaluate me financially. (Full-time students are probably considered poor.)

So we didn't even bother opening a file, because they wouldn't be able to help me until at least Spring 2009, and then ONLY if the money is available AFTER all the other "more severely disabled" people are helped, AND if I qualify financially. These new rules stink.

I'm from VA too and my VR was great to me when I went to RIT. I got full coverage (paid tutition in full) and got a monthly check to help pay with my rent and other expenses. I guess it varies on the area.

Good luck!

Yeah, that is true, it really does denpend on where you life. I used to be great 16 years ago but so much have changed since then. :cool2:

Back