any of you HoH peeps...

Ridilin

Reaction score
Do any of you HoH peeps ever wish your hearing would just go and get it over with?

I've been losing my hearing for around 8 years now and sometimes I just wish it would go and get over with. I'm also bumming today so that might be my prob.

Just wanted to know.

Ridilin

well , i born hearing til 18 months old became hoh .. til 3 years ago became deaf, i am so proud who am i , no matter if i wanna hearing back! i dont need to get my hearing back , so i rather to be *deaf* .. :D

TOF :laugh2:

Yes & No ( clear as mud huh ?? )

I have fluctuaing (varies from day to day ) loss on my hoh side ( I'm totally :deaf: on the other side )

Some days - like when I can't seem to understand anything anyone says , it seems like everyone has "mumblemouth" - when anything I can hear is painful - I just wish I had an "off". There are alot of days that I wake up and wish I could just stick to ASL, written english and for the most part go "voice off".

Of course other days when it's not so diffucult to understand, I'm ok with being hoh... I just wish that more people ( family, hearing friends & co-workers) understood what a "typical hoh day" for me is :|

Of course like a lot of hoh people that are involved to some extent , and cherish the Deaf Community ... I also have days when I feel like I'm having an "Identity Crisis" ... you know - am I Hoh, am I Deaf , am I both ... :confused: :roll:

I wouldn't want to be hearing though.

Well, I was born HOH, and I like it...I wouldn't want to be more hearing than I already am.
Even though there are times when I wish I was, I like the feeling of being able to ignore people's conversations and society has given me a perfectly acceptable excuse so they can leave me alone. :D

I've been at the same level for as long as I can remember..doctors just let me know "You could wake up one day and have absolutlly no hearing." - oh that's nice! lol..so I have an annual audiolocial test to make sure it's staying at the same level.
But honestly, if it did start getting worse Im not sure if I'd want it gradually or just like BAM no hearing..

That is a hard decision for me, but I rather it would just LEAVE ALREADY. I find it so frustrating to always be lipreading all the time and people are always saying "Oh there's something different with you" like they've never seen a HoH person before..And it's frustrating A LOT-- I would rather just be Deaf. :P

Yeah, I agree with that one. People don't understand that people are HH or deaf, they just dont get it! I hate when people go "nevermind" if you ask them to repeat something- it just shows how little of the world they know.

AestasCaelum said:
Yeah, I agree with that one. People don't understand that people are HH or deaf, they just dont get it! I hate when people go "nevermind" if you ask them to repeat something- it just shows how little of the world they know.

^^ I HATE THAT!! PPL ALWAYS DO IT TO ME!! It's so rude and unfair and WE'RE always made out to be the 'stupid' one b/c ppl won't repeat themselves. Am i the only one that feels that i'm made to feel bad when i don't catch something someone says even if they repeat if like 4 times? It's so annoying. When i ask my mum to repeat things and i don't get them the first and 2nd time, she looks at me in disgust and goes, "DO YOU HAVE YOUR HEARING AIDS IN!?!?!?!" like it's horrible. A little understanding and compassion go a long way, but other that that it's always made me feel like and idiot.

My hearing loss will only get worse and i get sick and go on meds (that's what i went HOH over, otoxic meds) so yeah...but if it comes to that...i'd probably want to wake up and have it all gone. It's hard to say, but i probably just put an omen upon myself....lol

I honestly don't know if I've been slowly losing my hearing or I've been hard of hearing since birth, but there are times where I wish my hearing loss was more severe than it is. I never wish that I were hearing, but sometimes being able to hear somewhat comes in handy when dealing with hearing people.

Either way... I wouldn't be who I am today, where I am today, with the friends I have today if I weren't hoh, so I can't say if I'd be better or worse off if I woke up one day profoundly deaf or if I were born profoundly deaf... That would change my life, where I've been, possibly my interests, and the people I've met in so many ways I can't even fathom how that version of me might be.

But to answer the original question... Yes, sometimes. Not always, but sometimes.

I'm still working in the hearing world, and, as a Realtor, rely on the cell phone. I still have to get people to repeat things, ESPECIALLY numbers! It makes everyone (including me) frustrated. I don't know enough ASL to function in the Deaf world, and studying on my own does nothing for helping me understand when people are signing.

I'm hoping to be sucessful enough to hire an assistant to answer the phone and text message me before the hearing loss becomes profound.

I have bilateral acoustic neuroma (NF2) and if I knew for certain that, if I went deaf the sounds in my ears would stop, I'd gladly make that trade. They tell me though, that I could lose 100% of my hearing and STILL have the sounds.

Makes you want to drink, sometimes. ;)

I know how hard it is to be Hard of Hearing. I went to "mainstream" schools, never learned ASL (although I am learning now), I wear a hearing aid in my only "good" ear. I got picked on, beat up, ridiculed (like it is my fault). All those things don't bother me (I'm Scotch-Irish, so I like to fight anyway). What bothers me the most is when hearing people tell me that I need to do this and that to be a better hearing person. I will never be a hearing person unless there is some miracle of science. As far as I can tell, I have a better chance of becoming deaf than hearing.

I used to think that it would be much better to be deaf. But I can never know what deaf people experienece every day. What is it like to go to a hearing college and need an interpreter in every class, at office hours, at a hearing club event? What is it like to be the only deaf person working in an office building? What is it like to raise hearing children? I hope I will be able to learn from from their experiences. They have a lot to teach me. And I do hope they can make a difference in my life.

I have been blessed by God for my hearing loss. When I was a kid, I wanted to be in the military. It is a family tradition (every war since the Civil War, including the Boxer Rebellion). But when my dad said that I could not be a soldier, I was devestated. But you know what my dad said to me? He said, "whatever God wants you to be, you can be the best in the world." My dad is a hearing person, but he never once let me feel sorry for myself.

"Be patient with everyone, but above all with yourself. I mean, do not be disheartened by your imperfections, but always rise up with fresh courage. How are we to be patient in dealing with our neighbor's faults if we are impatient in dealing with our own? He who is fretted by his own failings will not correct them. All profitable correction comes from a calm, peaceful mind."
St. Francis de Sales

Yeah, somedays I do wish I'd just go all the way deaf. ITA w/what Anij said. It's frustrating hearing gobbledy-gook, and I find myself getting a headache trying to sort it all out. I actually wear earplugs somedays when the auditory processing just isn't working, to keep from getting the headaches!

Since I'm a recently HoH, and just getting a handle on ASL, and haven't even found the deaf community except at my church, I feel stuck between two worlds. I can't fit in well with the hearing world anymore, and I'm sick of always asking people to repeat themselves w/out turning their heads so I can lipread, or having my daughter or boyfriend translate for me. So I just miss a lot with hearing people. But I don't know enough ASL yet to not miss just as much with my deafie friends, and I certainly don't get the Deaf Culture thing yet. I'm trying to, and I'm reading like mad, but it's not easy.

Ok, I've ranted and I feel better now.

I went to Pizza Hut the other day and the girl behind the counter was taking my order. If you have ever seen a Pizza Hut menu, you will know that some guy on acid designed it. Anyway, I asked the girl for a small cheese pizza to go. Nothing else. She said something in a very small and quiet voice. I said, "Pardon me!" She said it again in the same very small and quiet voice. I said, "I want a small, cheese, pizza." She said something again in the same voice. I said, "pardon me! But I don't hear very well, can you repeat what you said in a louder voice?" She said whatever she said in the same way. Then I asked her, "when will my order be ready?" She said, "fifteen minutes." I was able to hear that and I left Pizza Hut and sat in my car for fifteen minutes. I came back and she had the nerve to give me a dirty look. Are people this stupid?

You want to know why I say, "pardon me?" When I was in school, the guys would say "WHAT" behind my back because I always said "WHAT" when I couldn't hear. One day I came home from school in tears because I got in a fight with a guy who kept saying "what" behind my back. My dad said that when he was a kid in Germany, he learned to say, "pardon me" all the time. From that day forward, I never said the word "what" again when I want someone to repeat himself. That is what it is like to be hard of hearing in a hearing world.

Everyone teases me, but in a friendly way about the useage of the word "What?" I usually joke around about being dhh, like asking people if they would like to borrow my hearing aids if they have trouble understanding me.
She said something in a very small and quiet voice
People like her are the VERY reason why audist oralism just doesn't work.
Oralism assumes that EVERYONE has a loud and well enunciated voice....Yes, lots of people do, but not everyone.....I just LOVE how parents say that one of the reasons why they choose oral only is so their kids don't have to depend on an interpreter... Well HELLO, a lot of the times with oralism you STILL have to depend on an interpreter or do reverse interpreting (the interpreater saying what the dhh person said, instead of what the hearing person said)

no way I don't want to be deaf....

I like being hard of hearing...

I can turn off hearing aids if I don't wanna hear
I can turn on hearing aids if I do wanna hear.

and plus being deaf is boring....

Big E said:
I used to think that it would be much better to be deaf. But I can never know what deaf people experienece every day.

Well, when you become deaf, you'll find out :D

What is it like to go to a hearing college and need an interpreter in every class, at office hours, at a hearing club event?

I can help with that. I became deaf when I was 5 and have been immersed in the hearing world for 25 years.

College? Well, thanks to technology, you will have access to a stenocaptioner. Google this term.

Office hours? No interpreter. You gotta make-do with written notes or your best speechreading skills.

Events? No interpreter. You only need to worry about getting information from presentation slides and handouts. That will be your ONLY source of information.

What is it like to be the only deaf person working in an office building?

Been working in corporate credit risk management for 7 years. You attend meetings for the sake of establishing your presence and you try to capture as much info as you can through slides and handouts. You try speechreading to see which topic is being covered then ask questions to make it look like you are following the conversation and to establish your presence (when in fact you have no idea what is going on). Then after the meeting, you can ask a trusted colleague to explain to you what was discussed.

What is it like to raise hearing children?

I don't know yet. Will let you know as soon as mini-me comes into the world.

well, i born deaf. so I just accept it and grew w/ it, and thats whom i'm. If i being hearing.. I won't be the same who i'm.. right?

If i lost my hearing in years years later alike 20's. I prolly end up depress and maybe consider to have C.I. But i'm not very happy who hearing parents should get their own kids if they re deaf, forcus to have C.I. They should "accept" their disability. God created them into special.. If they get older, not happy w/ them, they should respect their wish if they wants to, than give to the little kids.

i am hearing

i am hearing. i have a friend who is hoh and that's what brought me to this site. i am interested to learn more about the deaf culture.

the thing i learned about my friend, he may be deaf, but he is a better listener than anyone that i know. that's a fact! i love him to pieces for that :kiss: . me on the other hand, i am hard of listening. that's what my friend describe me as b/c im clueless at times. :D

hahah.. i think im ind the wrong thread.. as you can tell. i also have a hard of underdtanding. :(

Last edited:
Back