Any hard-of-hearing ppl raised in the hearing world?

Do any of you wished you had sign language and involvement as a part of your lives growing up while being a part of the hearing world also?

I was born 12 weeks premature as many of you know with my sisters. This resulted in me being diagnosed with severe hearing loss in both ears at 9 months old. I was given old fashioned box and HA's at 14 months, I recieved my first BTE's at 5 years old. I was raised orally, I went to a deaf school, at the primary school from Year 4-6 I was mainstream 3 days a week for about 3 hours on my own at the school next to my deaf primary school with no support. I did struggle at times but I cope. I then went to a mainstream high school with a Hearing impaired unit. I was not in the unit but I was mainstreamed for all classes. I was in the unit for 3 hours a week because I was disapplied from learning foreign languages because of my deafness. I am a fab lipreading and I communicate through spoken language with my family because they do not know sign although I do admit it would be great if they could! I am mainly more involved in the hearing world because it is what iv known really but i do have many deaf friends.
I do struggle majorly in the hearing world due to hearing people being so arkward and different when they talk to deaf people. I don't really go out due to self esteem and self confidence issues. I will be working in the hearing world, i hope they can adapt to meet my needs .

Wow, these stories all feel so familiar to me. I have known Sign for 20 years. I have had DEaf friends for almost that long. I have know for YEARS that I had a "hearing problem." The other day, I asked a (full) Deaf person about this stuff. He said, "You HOH." I decided to stop the denial of what I am. It's funny how the depression and anger has lifted! :laugh2::laugh2:

I am HOH and proud:D:D

I am DEFGRL.:wave:

you dont need 'permission' or 'affirmation' from the so called hardcore 'so called grassroots' Deaf deciding what you are, you know it yourself and they have no right to say if you are, or you are not. My observation is that they seem to think they are the only ones getting the crap from hearing people, well you know what they get LESS crap from them simply because they hide from them, they dont go out and mix, facing the real drudges of being in a 'hearing world', and from this they fail when they think they know about opppression, they havent got shit, nor faced the raw full on oppression. Ignorance is the bliss which goes both ways, it can reside on the other side of the fence too, hearing people are not only ones with blissful ignorance, turning away from all kinds of d/Deaf people or turning in and telling us what to think or feel to be 'normal' ....

Deaf culture studies is immature, has a long way to go before reaching scholarly maturity in so that Deaf studies can not in today's climate worldwide, actually define what is Deaf rights, right now very few have a clue and fewer still have made any of this 'thinking' embedded for future development.
To summerise, you just dont need 'those in knowledge of Deaf studies or those who claim it' to grant you any identity rights, you already have that right.

I'm HOH and was raised in the hearing world. I'm fifteen now and just found out about my hearing loss recently. But I was born with hearing loss. We just never caught it until now, because that was my first EVER hearing test. Luckily, my best friend is a CODA, (child of a deaf adult). Her parents and sister are deaf. So I can sign a little (very little). I'm learning slowly, and would like to be part of the deaf community someday. :)

It's hard for me during lunch at school, when my friends are talking, and it's jumping from one person to another, and there's just so much background noise. Since different people start talking, lipreading is hard. However, my hearing aids make it easier for me.

I'm HOH and was raised in the hearing world. I'm fifteen now and just found out about my hearing loss recently. But I was born with hearing loss. We just never caught it until now, because that was my first EVER hearing test. Luckily, my best friend is a CODA, (child of a deaf adult). Her parents and sister are deaf. So I can sign a little (very little). I'm learning slowly, and would like to be part of the deaf community someday. :)

It's hard for me during lunch at school, when my friends are talking, and it's jumping from one person to another, and there's just so much background noise. Since different people start talking, lipreading is hard. However, my hearing aids make it easier for me.

Did you know you can opt to attend either a Deaf School or a hearing high school with a dhh program? You could also look into summer camps etc to learn ASL!

Hello, I'm hard of hearing raised in the hearing world. To be honest I never really got the choice of getting involved in the deaf community, as a child I didn't even know there was one! They think my hearing went when I was three, but wasn't actually tested until I was 7. i had a special teacher to help me learn in primary school because I wasn't doing so well and then in secondary school I just continued to a mainstream hearing school without any support. I struggled to accept my hearing loss because I didn't understand that I really had hearing loss. I never knew any different. I managed but there were times it was a struggle.

For instance, I was bullied, but many times I couldn't log some incidents as I couldn't tell what they had said as the bullies walked past. I'd hear the laughter and see the mocking, but I regularly didn't actually catch the insult. I was never sure whether to be grateful for this or not! The result was the teacher's were never aware that there were daily incidents in between the incidents I had reported to them.

It got easier as I got older as fully hearing adults are more understanding than the children. But I struggle in meeting when the windows are open because of the traffic noise. I struggle in any noisy environment, and in buildings with high ceilings etc. But, overall, I function well enough although lately it is harder as I have lost more hearing.

Wow, I'm the OP for this thread and I had completely forgotten that I made this thread four years ago. But reading through all your posts for the past hour, it has made me relate to all of your experiences and has also lifted me, knowing that there are at least hundreds (maybe thousands) of people who share the same experiences that I have.

My advice is don't let the negative experiences and obstacles bring you down and stop you from achieving your dreams. Make people understand your situation; if they can't handle it, then that's their problem. I'm still 100% immersed in the hearing world and while I'm not completely satisfied with my life right now (I mean who isn't...everybody in the world's got issues, not just us HOH people), I'm glad that I've gotten this far, but I know that I still have a long way to go in my life.

I just recently graduated with a degree in Biomedical Engineering and my dream job would be to design medical devices that assist people with hearing loss. I'm hoping that I'll get something, if not now, then a few years down the road. I really want to help others who are in my exact or similar situation.

I just want to know what your experiences are like....such as talking to people in background noise, going to the movies, ordering food in the restaurant or dealing with customer service, talking on the phone, etc. (anything that hinders your ability to communicate/hear effectively)

I'm hard of hearing but I wear hearing aids and can pretty much hear what people say in favourable situations. I was raised in the hearing world and do not know too many deaf/hard-of-hearing people. I can lipread somewhat but I don't know sign language.

From my experiences, I find that it's extremely difficult for me to hear what other people say when there's a lot of background noise...I use an FM microphone device for one-on-one situations but group situations are pretty tough.

Do you have to deal with a lot of people who don't seem to understand what it's like to be hard of hearing? Do you sometimes get embarrassed or frustrated when you're not able to hear what other people say at times or when you're in a social situation (like a party or restaurant) and you can't follow the conversation...so you're basically out of the loop and not in tune with the conversation at all? I experience this constantly and I want to do something about it...maybe I need better hearing aids that helps to diminish the background noise (although they only work to a certain extent). Do you have any suggestions/tips to try to become more involved in social situations rather than being quiet the entire time?

I never get embarrassed if I can't hear what is being said. There is nothing to be embarrassed about. I do get upset if I am with my famliy and they do not talk loud enough for me to hear them. They know I am HOH and if they do not talk so I can hear it tell me a lot about them.

After reading all the post, I felt the need to do the same.

I am 100% deaf in my right ear and extremely HOH in my left. I grew up in the hearing world, I lost my hearing when I was 1yr. old. (My mother never bothered to advocate for me or learn SL. My grandmother on the other hand did everything she could to get me the help I needed. (lived with her from 6th grade on). She never really learn how to sign but she tried the best she could.

Elementary School was okay for me. I was the only deaf child in this school. (very small town in a school that served K-12) My teachers where great (with the exception of one...I got transfer outta that class ASAP, she treated me like I was stupid and always put me in time out) some of my friend actually went out and tried to learn SL...and did a great job. One went to college and continue with the ASL course. After 5th grade though, things got tough. Jr High was a nightmare. I got picked on, spit at, push and shoved around, called name, beat up and so forth. My grandmother then put me in a private school so that I could try to get more individualized attention. That backfired on her but she kept trying. I went on "Homebound" where a teacher would come out to me and teach me...or I could go to them and we would sit in an office and she would teach me. As I entered High School some days she would come to me and some days I would go to her. Because of her, I was able to graduate 2 years early. And head to college, where I decided to take online courses because sitting in a classroom was not going to work for me. I didn't have many deaf friends...only 2 that I had the pleasure to know. Until I came here...and I am so glad I found this site.

I too had a relationship with an awful man and the signs were there I just didn't see them until it was too late and I landed in the ICU for 4 days after he tried to take my life. A few years later I found my now husband. The love of my life, he is hearing but works each and everyday to understand my world. He learned to sign for me. Captions don't phase him, he actually likes them. It was an adjustment period when we first met when he watched tv with me but he never said anything negative. Within a week he couldn't live without them...lol He has always made me feel like the person I am and more. He makes my deafness seem like nothing. He always makes sure that he is facing me and I am facing him when he talks. He always tries to get my attention so he doesn't scare the crap out of me by coming up behind me and spooking me to death.

I feel really blessed, although part of my life just SUCKED it could have been so much worse. I have a husband who truly cares about me...and not all his family is as considerate as they should be...and believe me my husband gave them an earful and then some. And we have been blessed with two beautiful children, one who is deaf/HOH and another who is fully hearing.

I am so sorry for the way that some of your family and friends have treated you. Its just so awful and wrong. And why family especially doesn't show more compassion I will never understand. Sometimes, I wish that just for one day all the hearing people in the world could be deaf/HOH so they could maybe gain some insight to what it is like for us.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm the OP for this thread and I had completely forgotten that I made this thread four years ago. But reading through all your posts for the past hour, it has made me relate to all of your experiences and has also lifted me, knowing that there are at least hundreds (maybe thousands) of people who share the same experiences that I have.

My advice is don't let the negative experiences and obstacles bring you down and stop you from achieving your dreams. Make people understand your situation; if they can't handle it, then that's their problem. I'm still 100% immersed in the hearing world and while I'm not completely satisfied with my life right now (I mean who isn't...everybody in the world's got issues, not just us HOH people), I'm glad that I've gotten this far, but I know that I still have a long way to go in my life.

I just recently graduated with a degree in Biomedical Engineering and my dream job would be to design medical devices that assist people with hearing loss. I'm hoping that I'll get something, if not now, then a few years down the road. I really want to help others who are in my exact or similar situation.

Don't go down the road again. I am sick of having new devices making hearing people especially AGBell and hearing parents thinking and hoping for a cure in making the deaf hear clearly. It does not work that at all. All you have to do is accept yourself and immerse in your deafness. You need to go on the deaf or hard of hearing journey to accept your deafness. Embrace your deafness. The problem with you is you want to be like the hearing people very badly. That is what make us sad about it. We have been trying to teach hearing people to accept us the way we are, not the new devices like CIs or hearing aids. I am sorry for you when you are not facing reality about it. If you want to get mad at me, fine with me. Go ahead. :(

After reading all the post, I felt the need to do the same.

I am 100% deaf in my right ear and extremely HOH in my left. I grew up in the hearing world, I lost my hearing when I was 1yr. old. (thanks mom) . And we have been blessed with two beautiful children, one who is deaf/HOH and another who is fully hearing.

. And why family especially doesn't show more compassion I will never understand. (that goes for you to mom) Sometimes, I wish that just for one day all the hearing people in the world could be deaf/HOH so they could maybe gain some insight to what it is like for us.

You seem to be blaming your mother a lot here. If your son is Hoh, it seems more likely to be genetic than anything your mother did.

Remember that children are sponges and will absorb your attitude. You may want to let your resentment go, or in a few years you will see the same type thing coming right back at you from your son.

The past can't be changed. It's important to go forward and make a good life for yourself.

(Deaf from birth with deaf genes here.)

You seem to be blaming your mother a lot here. If your son is Hoh, it seems more likely to be genetic than anything your mother did.

Remember that children are sponges and will absorb your attitude. You may want to let your resentment go, or in a few years you will see the same type thing coming right back at you from your son.

The past can't be changed. It's important to go forward and make a good life for yourself.

(Deaf from birth with deaf genes here.)

My son's hearing is gentic...males in my family are usually deaf. I am sorry that I was blaming my mother...no it was her fault. She poured Mr. Clean down my ears when I was 1yrs old. I don't regret the fact that I am deaf. It doesn't bother me. I just harbor some feeling about my mother...that I should have placed here. I apologize. She abused me a lot and called me names and made fun of my deafness...and that is why my grandmother ended up raising me....Sometimes the pain of ones past just comes to mind. (I usually never think about my mom...but I got a letter from my grandmother and she just mention something about her...it just brought back some memories...like I said, I'm sorry, I'm human)

I'm proud of my son for who he is and honestly, I am so proud that he is like me. I really am. And maybe some people think that I am crazy for that but it's true. I am proud to be deaf each and everyday and I am just as proud of him. I never bring that out around him or share those feelings(my anger towards my mother). My husband knows what I went through...sorry I was just having a moment and I vented when I shouldn't have. I'll edit that out. Sorry.

And you are right forgive and let live. And I do have a wonderful life with two amazing children and a handsome husband with a beautiful heart.

EDIT: I just wanted to add...that while my mother was abusive and cause my hearing loss (and yes, I honestly am proud to be deaf/hoh) and I was just having a moment and vented last night/early morning. Even though I went through hell in back with her, making fun of me, being mentally, emotional and physically abusive...she made me a better mother. Because of her, I knew EXACTLY the kind of mother I wanted to be. I adore my children for who they are not for anything less. And each and everyday I work hard to let them know that they are special and I will always love and support them. That even if the world falls down around them, I will still be there. They I would never harm them but love them always. My mother may not have been a good person but you know what...she helped me to become a great person due to her short comings and for that I am forever grateful. Thank you Bott...I needed to be reminded of that. Sometimes when she is brought up...my bitterness flares up with it. Thanks you for helping me remember who I really am and for helping me out when I stumbled. :)

Last edited:
I just want to know what your experiences are like....such as talking to people in background noise, going to the movies, ordering food in the restaurant or dealing with customer service, talking on the phone, etc. (anything that hinders your ability to communicate/hear effectively)

I'm hard of hearing but I wear hearing aids and can pretty much hear what people say in favourable situations. I was raised in the hearing world and do not know too many deaf/hard-of-hearing people. I can lipread somewhat but I don't know sign language.

From my experiences, I find that it's extremely difficult for me to hear what other people say when there's a lot of background noise...I use an FM microphone device for one-on-one situations but group situations are pretty tough.

Do you have to deal with a lot of people who don't seem to understand what it's like to be hard of hearing? Do you sometimes get embarrassed or frustrated when you're not able to hear what other people say at times or when you're in a social situation (like a party or restaurant) and you can't follow the conversation...so you're basically out of the loop and not in tune with the conversation at all? I experience this constantly and I want to do something about it...maybe I need better hearing aids that helps to diminish the background noise (although they only work to a certain extent). Do you have any suggestions/tips to try to become more involved in social situations rather than being quiet the entire time?

I don't go to the movies. I really can't follow the story without caption; I can hear, I just can't follow the story if that makes sense. Besides, I'm more of a Hong Kong film fan so Western movies don't interest me as much.

Dealing with customer service and using the phone is difficult. It really depends on the clarity of the speaker and whether I have a foreigner that's also soft spoken. I prefer dealing with email, but it can be done with the right speaker. Eating out is hard to hear with the background noise but do-able depending on the place and the crowd. It's not a huge issue for me one on one. However, eating out with people at work is tough because it's really hard to hear them over the noise of others talking. I usually just sit quietly and let it go over me. Social situations depends on a lot. The place, the background noise - type of background noise, speakers, voice tone, etc.

Yes, I do get embarrassed or frustrated when I'm not always able to hear what's being said, but you resign yourself to your limitations. At least I do. I recently spent $6,150.00 for Widex Fusion 440 hearing aids. I'm really loving it over my Starkey Avail which were $2k entry level. I'm currently trying to figure out how to charge the TV Dex device. The M-Dex I'm just getting into (got the accessories today) and I used Bluetooth for the first time. I'm 44 and this is the first time in my life I used it. It's way cool.....:D Widex is worth every cent in my opinion and I'm hearing much more than I have - really wonderful.

Laura

Late to the party

Mercy, first of all thank you for this section of the bulletin board. The next time I write to someone "I'm late deafened" (which Pek1, my first audiologist gave me that phraseology when I was 24, so who knows?) and they reply, "You're not Deaf!" I'm gonna puke. I *know* I'm not Deaf. :mad:

My loss has made a crescendo from simply failing the school hearing test in kindergarten to now, when I struggle just to get through the day without bursting into tears. Nowadays my main difficulties are businesses who advertise a TTY number and then either don't answer it or they've let it lapse, well-meaning friends who say over and over "You can hear me, right?", and other well-meaning people who notice my big ol' honkin' hearing aids and begin signing to me. (I know probably 20 signs and the alphabet, that's it.)

I use an ancient TTY on a landline for local calls and make voice calls for long distance since only my cell phone has long distance. But I can't hear the other end anymore so I'm breaking down and getting a portable TTY for the cell phone. I have an alerting alarm clock coming. I need a signaling system. In time, in time. Interestingly enough, Cdbicdb (hope I got that right), my ex-husband was my translator and my everything too, and then one day he kicked me out and I was dreadfully and irrevocably on my own. :Oops: Hope you all can understand it's sort of raw for me and I don't ever want anyone to have that happen to them ever. But I've bounced back and I'm 75% self reliant now.

Socially, I don't handle my situation well. I joke ... I say things like, "I'm sorry, you'll have to scream. These hearing aids are as old as I am!" and "Pretend I'm really old and say that again, slow and loud." If I diffuse the frustration with a smile, things go easier. As I mentioned, wonderful people see the hearing aids and start signing. And I'm not talking about "Sign you?" or "Deaf you?" which I recognize. I mean all-out full speed ahead signing. My friend taught me, "Sorry, no sign" or "Sorry, not Deaf", but then they get all embarrassed. Does anyone else who doesn't sign fluently get that? And goodness gracious, when do you get over the anger at the pity? I don't want to be pitied. I don't regret what has happened. I'm starting to look at it as a journey and another step on the path through my world. I want to believe there's a reason, you know?

I'll admit I'm scared. I didn't truly pay attention until my safety net was yanked away. Boy, the world is a vampire and it's got my attention now! I read everyone's posts gratefully and I will come visit often. Y'all are awesome. :cool2:

Mercy, first of all thank you for this section of the bulletin board. The next time I write to someone "I'm late deafened" (which Pek1, my first audiologist gave me that phraseology when I was 24, so who knows?) and they reply, "You're not Deaf!" I'm gonna puke. I *know* I'm not Deaf. :mad:

My loss has made a crescendo from simply failing the school hearing test in kindergarten to now, when I struggle just to get through the day without bursting into tears. Nowadays my main difficulties are businesses who advertise a TTY number and then either don't answer it or they've let it lapse, well-meaning friends who say over and over "You can hear me, right?", and other well-meaning people who notice my big ol' honkin' hearing aids and begin signing to me. (I know probably 20 signs and the alphabet, that's it.)

I use an ancient TTY on a landline for local calls and make voice calls for long distance since only my cell phone has long distance. But I can't hear the other end anymore so I'm breaking down and getting a portable TTY for the cell phone. I have an alerting alarm clock coming. I need a signaling system. In time, in time. Interestingly enough, Cdbicdb (hope I got that right), my ex-husband was my translator and my everything too, and then one day he kicked me out and I was dreadfully and irrevocably on my own. :Oops: Hope you all can understand it's sort of raw for me and I don't ever want anyone to have that happen to them ever. But I've bounced back and I'm 75% self reliant now.

Socially, I don't handle my situation well. I joke ... I say things like, "I'm sorry, you'll have to scream. These hearing aids are as old as I am!" and "Pretend I'm really old and say that again, slow and loud." If I diffuse the frustration with a smile, things go easier. As I mentioned, wonderful people see the hearing aids and start signing. And I'm not talking about "Sign you?" or "Deaf you?" which I recognize. I mean all-out full speed ahead signing. My friend taught me, "Sorry, no sign" or "Sorry, not Deaf", but then they get all embarrassed. Does anyone else who doesn't sign fluently get that? And goodness gracious, when do you get over the anger at the pity? I don't want to be pitied. I don't regret what has happened. I'm starting to look at it as a journey and another step on the path through my world. I want to believe there's a reason, you know?

I'll admit I'm scared. I didn't truly pay attention until my safety net was yanked away. Boy, the world is a vampire and it's got my attention now! I read everyone's posts gratefully and I will come visit often. Y'all are awesome. :cool2:

First off the issue of the TTY line can be a non-issue since you are in the US and can use you state relay service to call ANYONE! All you need is your TTY and if you want to speak for yourself a regular phone chained with it. To make the calls you dial 711 (or the 800 # number listed in your phone book for your state relay service — I can't give you that nbr. because I notice you are in a different state than I am). When they answer if you have a regular phone chained with the TTY and want to speak for yourself, ask for VCO (voice carryover) with the keyboard on your TTY, pickup the phone handset and voice the nbr you want. They will call that line and type to you exactly with they hear so you can read it on your TTY. You will get a GA (which stands for "go ahead") when that person is ready for you to respond. Say what you want into your handset and and end with "go ahead". This system is similar to radio in that both parties can't talk at the same time. If you prefer to use the keyboard on your TTY the CA (the person with the Relay Service) will read what you are typing to the other party). Hearing people can also call you through this service.

For the long distance on the cell I am hoping that you have 3G service at least. To give you more detail I would need to know who your carrier is and what phone you are using. But . . . here are a couple of sites you may well want to look at about captions on your cell phone. Feel free to come back and ask any questions.

Wireless CapTel by Sprint | Sprint CapTel

Hamilton CapTel: What Is Hamilton CapTel?

I currently use the Wireless CapTel by Sprint with a Droid Pro phone on PagePlus which uses the Verizon towers.

As for the other equipment, I can't direct you to your state agency because I am in Illinois. Here there is a state program for a number of different pieces of equipment that you just need a doctor or audi's certification that you need it with no income restrictions. These things vary greatly from state to state what they cover, etc.

Good Luck and feel free to ask questions.

I'm HOH born into the hearing world. I was born 2 months early so I was hospitalized for 3 months before I finally was able to function on my own. Because I was premature, the tubes in my ears were underdeveloped, and that caused a lot of ear infections, and here I am, HOH.

I started going to a school like a hour away from my house at 3 year old to learn sign/speech therapy. I don't remember a lot but it's vague. After 2 years at that school, I started kindergarden in a deaf/hoh school (don't remember where) but it was a good school, made a lot of friends and then was eventually mainstreamed in the 3rd grade up to when I graduated, (class of 2011). Used an interpreter all those years, and it was okay, just a lot of kids staring at me and the interpreter and teasing me, but I got used to it.

Now, I'm currently 19, starting my sophomore year at community college, trying to get back into signing because I miss so much. (My whole family is hearing and didn't bother to learn sign, but I couldn't force them because I could already talk for myself so well that you could not tell that I use hearing aids and am HOH, some people become very shocked by that.)

:) Thanks

My dad actually came to me recently and said something I never expected. I've had hearing loss since I was 10 months old and had a fever of 107, I was lucky to survive, my whole life my dad always got on to me for being "too loud" when I talked or anything. I'd always argue that I wasn't being loud and that I was talking at the same volume as he was. Finally, after 29 years, my dad came to me and said he was wrong and that he has finally realized that all those times he was getting on to me I probably didn't realize how loud I was being because they never got me HAs as a child.

This is my first time on alldeaf and my first post.

I'm mildly to moderately HOH. I don't know to what extent because my last audiology test turned out "inconclusive" because I can usually understand/figure out almost instantly one syllable words. I stopped going to that ENT years ago after he tried to tell me I probably just have ADD and don't pay attention when people are speaking to me. I would really like hearing aids for work, but they're expensive and I'm terrified of being told my hearing is fine and I'm not working hard enough again. That doctor treated me since I was a toddler and did a handful of surgeries (tubes) on me and he made me feel like an idiot and a liar.

I grew up and currently live in a strictly hearing world. I've never known anyone HOH or deaf. I feel like I missed out on a lot. On some level, I resent the years of struggling to read lips and use context clues to follow a conversation. I used to hate when a teacher found out I couldn't hear and was near sighted and would make me sit front and center. I never stop being angry when someone is rude to me as if I'm HOH on purpose- like I'm not trying to understand.

I have no experience with Deaf culture and am only now learning ASL at 20. (I tried teaching myself when I was little but to no avail with no one to converse with.) I'm so tired of the trouble it causes at work and how nobody seems to get that I can't hear them if they're not within arms reach and facing me. If I'm in a crowd or a there's background noise, I have to concentrate harder. I frequently mishear gibberish or nonsensical words and phrases.

I'm 16 years old, HOH, and being raised in a hearing world! I literally have no friends that are d/hh, and I have 2 hearing aids that are "supposed" to "correct" my hearing loss. However, I still have some issues, as HA aren't perfect, and then my parents get mad at me for not listening! I don't even want to think about all the things I miss in school, not in an educational manner, but in a social manner. Most of my hearing friends will just say "oh, nevermind" when I ask them to repeat what they say, which is SO annoying! I would love to have at least one friend who I can relate to who lives close to me!

I'm 16 years old, HOH, and being raised in a hearing world! I literally have no friends that are d/hh, and I have 2 hearing aids that are "supposed" to "correct" my hearing loss. However, I still have some issues, as HA aren't perfect, and then my parents get mad at me for not listening! I don't even want to think about all the things I miss in school, not in an educational manner, but in a social manner. Most of my hearing friends will just say "oh, nevermind" when I ask them to repeat what they say, which is SO annoying! I would love to have at least one friend who I can relate to who lives close to me!

a lot of us have been there and done that........unfortunately hearing aids (and CIs) do not and cannot equalize dhh kids 100%......sigh.....

Back