Any envoy medical esteem recipients out there?

stlcardinalfan

Reaction score
Has anyone considered or currently has a Envoy Medical Esteem implant? I've been researching the device and know that Starkey has invested heavily in the device. I'm assuming that Starkey is behind the product because of th eir stake in the company. I would love to hear from an Esteem recipient that is not paid by Envoy Medical for their testimonials.

Envoy Esteem

On Facebook there is an Envoy Esteem Patients Group where you can ask and interact with other recipients or potential patients.

Be very skeptical about the Esteem.....try it ONLY after you're sure you've absolutly positively maxed out hearing aids. And don't fall for the hype....there is far too much PR style hype about this.

On Facebook there is an Envoy Esteem Patients Group where you can ask and interact with other recipients or potential patients.

You could ask Sarah Churman or recently Lou Ferrigno. Gather as many people as possible. Keep an open mind and not a closed one. This is a new technology approved by the FDA.

You could ask Sarah Churman or recently Lou Ferrigno. Gather as many people as possible. Keep an open mind and not a closed one. This is a new technology approved by the FDA.

kokonut, those people are basicly paid spokespeople. ALL a company wants if your money. They don't give a crap about quality of hearing. They just want to SELL a product. Our healthcare system is completely capitalist.

kokonut, those people are basicly paid spokespeople. ALL a company wants if your money. They don't give a crap about quality of hearing. They just want to SELL a product. Our healthcare system is completely capitalist.

Um, Sarah just had her second implant last month. She's now bilateral. If they didn't care about quality on hearing they wouldn't go for a second one seeing how the first one was beyond their expectation. Same for Lou Ferrigno, he'll be going for his second one soon. So, it works quite well. Ask them about it. Nothing wrong with that.

Has anyone considered or currently has a Envoy Medical Esteem implant? I've been researching the device and know that Starkey has invested heavily in the device. I'm assuming that Starkey is behind the product because of th eir stake in the company. I would love to hear from an Esteem recipient that is not paid by Envoy Medical for their testimonials.

I think it'd be neat to have a new ADer who is an Envoy Esteem implant user.

The Envoy consists of four main parts:

1) Implantable speech processor

2) Implantable Battery

3) Eardrum microphone

4) Cochlear transducer (amplifier). If the Envoy's cochlear transducer is changed to cochlear electrodes array.... THAT is ALL that it would take to get the CI Totally Implantable.

But what do they care? The Envoy product reaches 80 to 90 percent of the hearing impaired population... and the Totally Implantable CI only reaches 10 percent or less. Thats why the Envoy comes first. It's all about greed.

The Envoy consists of four main parts:

1) Implantable speech processor

2) Implantable Battery

3) Eardrum microphone

4) Cochlear transducer (amplifier). If the Envoy's cochlear transducer is changed to cochlear electrodes array.... THAT is ALL that it would take to get the CI Totally Implantable.

But what do they care? The Envoy product reaches 80 to 90 percent of the hearing impaired population... and the Totally Implantable CI only reaches 10 percent or less. Thats why the Envoy comes first. It's all about greed.

What you said, "The Envoy product reaches 80 to 90 percent of the hearing impaired population..." is incorrect. You said "hearing impaired population" which means all of the population with hearing loss.

One of your links clearly states that 90 percent of the hearing loss population are those with sensorineural hearing loss which means 90% of 34 million people with hearing loss are those with sensorineural hearing loss. 90% means 30 million people with sensorineural hearing loss. The Envoy Esteem would work for 80% of them or 24 million people. 24 million out of 34 million is 70% of the hearing impaired population.

The links you gave me about Spearman's quote made it clear that the target is for the sensorineural hearing loss population.

What happened to the Envoy's All Hear single electrodes cochlear implant (Totally Implantable)? Experts predicted that this was going to start clinical trials years ago

Whatever happened to the Epic Biosonics getting scared at the last second with the Totally Implantable CI and joining Med-El?

And now, the French cochlear implant company Neurelec is suing Otologics millions of dollars for the Totally Implantable CI.

Don't tell me that there is not coercion going on in all of this.............

What happened to the Envoy's All Hear single electrodes cochlear implant (Totally Implantable)? Experts predicted that this was going to start clinical trials years ago

Whatever happened to the Epic Biosonics getting scared at the last second with the Totally Implantable CI and joining Med-El?

And now, the French cochlear implant company Neurelec is suing Otologics millions of dollars for the Totally Implantable CI.

Don't tell me that there is not coercion going on in all of this.............

Not any of my concerns...

I couldn't log in under my old username, so I created another account. I have a moderate-profound sensorineural hearing loss, and I am a recipient of the Esteem middle ear implant. While I did film a testimonial video, I was NOT paid by Envoy in any way (other than travel and food expenses reimbursed). In fact, I have not had any contact with Envoy Medical since I filmed my testimonial. The testimonial served simply to share my experience as is done with hundreds of other products.

Patrick Spearman is not motivated by greed. At least no more than any other company of any type who rolls out products for profit. Mr. Spearman has seen firsthand how much the Esteem has improved the lives of many people, and he believes in his product. I cannot speak for anyone else, but I can say that the Esteem has had a huge impact on MY life. I cannot accurately describe just how much better I hear with my Esteem, or how I no longer feel like my hearing loss is holding me back. Hearing sounds that I had never heard before was an experience I won't soon forget. Hearing the grass crunch beneath my feet, hearing the static electricity crackling between two dresses, hearing the fire whistle go off miles away, hearing and being able to converse while in the water, hearing my children talk in another room and actually know what they are saying... I can't describe to you the relief I feel in knowing that I can hear my daughter - who has a chronic illness - when she needs me in the middle of the night. I also can't show you just how much my own self esteem has improved since my hearing has improved. I'm so much more social now, and I'm finally enrolled in college. I am axious to have the second implant done.

To those who are curious about the Esteem - it's not for everyone, and it may not be for you. It's not without its faults. RESEARCH it. Please don't let anyone convince you that such a device - whether it's the Esteem, cochlear implant, or any other - is a sham that exists only to line someone's pockets. As someone said, you're welcome to join the Envoy Esteem Patients group on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/241235109304753/ There's only a handful of clinical trial patients, some of whom filmed testimonies. The rest of the members are patients who paid for their Esteem, and they can share a wide variety of experiences - ranging from successful to unsuccessful. There's also several blogs detailing experiences.

Like I said, just RESEARCH the device(s) you are interested in. I did my research, and I found the device that was right for me. Good luck!!

MEI's are definitely making a splash, but not sure if it's the right thing to do yet; still very early to evaluate long-term success. Plus, Envoy Medical Esteem is the only FDA approved device so far. I am planning to attend a seminar in Oklahoma City next week to find out more about the Esteem. If there are any questions you'd like to ask, post them here. It looks like the Otologic Carina is in clinical trials here in U.S., with CE approval in Europe a few years ago. Not sure why it hasn't been approved here yet though. In theory, I like Envoy's concept better using the eardrum as the microphone. The otologic Carina uses a microphone under the skin. It seems like it would sound muffled if the microphone was imbedded under the skin. Anyway, I have a sensoneural loss of ranging from 55-80 decibels across the range, which is categorized as severe. I've worn hearing aids since I was 4 years old. I am 41 years old and as time goes by, I seem to have less and less success with HA's. Problems started for me when they went from analog to digital... Never adjusted to them very well. That is why I am looking at MEI's. I have a successful career as a nurse and have a wonderful family. But, it is getting harder in social situations with these new digitals. I put in my old analog BTE the other day and I loved the crisp, clear sound that it provided. The digital cannot seem to duplicate this sound. But, I am sticking with digitals, because that is what is available on the market. I am just curious about the cochlear implant posts on here. Is the thought that a completely implantable cochlear device would sound different/better to a recipient than an external one? The reason I ask: I am only interested in the MEI, b/c of the claims of more natural hearing versus a microphone/speaker of HA's. I could care less that it is completely implantable. The MEI still utilizes the cochlea, even though it is damaged considerably. External cochlear implants do not. Sorry, if I sound ignorant here, but this is what I believe I know. Thoughts?

I couldn't log in under my old username, so I created another account. I have a moderate-profound sensorineural hearing loss, and I am a recipient of the Esteem middle ear implant. While I did film a testimonial video, I was NOT paid by Envoy in any way (other than travel and food expenses reimbursed). In fact, I have not had any contact with Envoy Medical since I filmed my testimonial. The testimonial served simply to share my experience as is done with hundreds of other products.

Patrick Spearman is not motivated by greed. At least no more than any other company of any type who rolls out products for profit. Mr. Spearman has seen firsthand how much the Esteem has improved the lives of many people, and he believes in his product. I cannot speak for anyone else, but I can say that the Esteem has had a huge impact on MY life. I cannot accurately describe just how much better I hear with my Esteem, or how I no longer feel like my hearing loss is holding me back. Hearing sounds that I had never heard before was an experience I won't soon forget. Hearing the grass crunch beneath my feet, hearing the static electricity crackling between two dresses, hearing the fire whistle go off miles away, hearing and being able to converse while in the water, hearing my children talk in another room and actually know what they are saying... I can't describe to you the relief I feel in knowing that I can hear my daughter - who has a chronic illness - when she needs me in the middle of the night. I also can't show you just how much my own self esteem has improved since my hearing has improved. I'm so much more social now, and I'm finally enrolled in college. I am axious to have the second implant done.

To those who are curious about the Esteem - it's not for everyone, and it may not be for you. It's not without its faults. RESEARCH it. Please don't let anyone convince you that such a device - whether it's the Esteem, cochlear implant, or any other - is a sham that exists only to line someone's pockets. As someone said, you're welcome to join the Envoy Esteem Patients group on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/241235109304753/ There's only a handful of clinical trial patients, some of whom filmed testimonies. The rest of the members are patients who paid for their Esteem, and they can share a wide variety of experiences - ranging from successful to unsuccessful. There's also several blogs detailing experiences.

Like I said, just RESEARCH the device(s) you are interested in. I did my research, and I found the device that was right for me. Good luck!!

Wow! Our very first ADer with an Esteem implant. Thank you for showing up. MM is right. Research it, inquire often, it may or may not be for you.

MandyMarie,

Thanks for the input. Your story sounds wonderful and I can occasionally hear those sounds that you describe, but HA's make it sound distorted and muffled, not a clean sound at all. Do you have better clarity of sounds as well as being able to hear better? I will definitely take a look at the facebook page.... Your story is wonderful by the way. I have two girls ages four and six. I often miss what they say and my wife will be laughing or smiling when they say something cute and I will have to ask her what they said. I have the necessary gain, but just no clarity to what is being said because of the sound distortion. It's funny when people speak up when I has them to repeat something. I don't need volume, I need clarity! And, no my HA's do not need to be adjusted. I've been wearing HA's since I was four and have had my HA's adjusted a million times. I'm sure my audiologist heart sinks everytime I make an appointment when I get a new HA.

Middle ear implants available with external components:

1) Bone anchored hearing aid (BAHA)

2) Vibrant Soundbridge

3) Carina semi-implantable middle ear transducer (MET)

CONSIDER those products if you're frustrated with hearing aids. Envoy is not the only option.

MandyMarie,

Thanks for the input. Your story sounds wonderful and I can occasionally hear those sounds that you describe, but HA's make it sound distorted and muffled, not a clean sound at all. Do you have better clarity of sounds as well as being able to hear better? I will definitely take a look at the facebook page.... Your story is wonderful by the way. I have two girls ages four and six. I often miss what they say and my wife will be laughing or smiling when they say something cute and I will have to ask her what they said. I have the necessary gain, but just no clarity to what is being said because of the sound distortion. It's funny when people speak up when I has them to repeat something. I don't need volume, I need clarity! And, no my HA's do not need to be adjusted. I've been wearing HA's since I was four and have had my HA's adjusted a million times. I'm sure my audiologist heart sinks everytime I make an appointment when I get a new HA.

I never could find a pair of hearing aids that could provide what I needed (I was first fitted when I was 3 years old, and I'm 34 now). Hearing people never could understand why I struggled to hear; they always told me, "wear your hearing aids" or "just turn the volume up." It's difficult to explain that increased volume doesn't neccessarily equal increased clarity. I could sit in a movie theater with the volume of the movie uncomfortably loud, and it would still be of little help in actually understanding the dialogue. I found the Esteem while researching alternatives to hearing aids.

The Esteem is absolutely more natural sounding than my hearing aids. And I do hear things with better quality. For the most part. I have one problem area that I have yet to fully correct, but it is a minor one. Any time I hear certain very loud noises such as applause or some gunfire/action-packed scene on TV, it sounds staticky, if that makes sense. I cannot talk on the phone with my implanted ear, but then, I never could (my implanted ear was previously much worse than the other). I could probably learn to adapt if I forced myself, but frankly, I'm too lazy. :giggle: I don't have to lip-read anymore, and it's pretty nice to not have to demand that someone look at me when they are speaking. My most commonly used words are no longer "huh?" and "what?" Adjusting to life with the Esteem was difficult at times - everything was so loud and noisy. Particularly my kids. I think they had naturally learned to talk louder because of my hearing loss, and they can't suddenly revert themselves to a quieter voice now that I can hear better. Sometimes I just turned the implant off so I could escape back into my quiet world for a while. As of my last testing more than a year ago, my speech discrimination scores went from 53% aided before the Esteem to 87% I think. It's definitely somewhere in the 80s.) after being implanted. I'm not gonna lie - I do love the cosmetic factor of the Esteem. I like that it is completely under the skin and water-safe. I also love having an open ear canal. I'm forced to wear a hearing aid in the unimplanted ear because I cannot stand having one really good ear and one bad ear. I need balance. If anyone wants to read or see photos, I have a personal blog that I used specifically to talk about my Esteem experience. The posts are ordered from most recent, so you may want to skip to the first posts to read about the process, surgery, and activation. Building My Self Esteem But I'm only one of many others who would be happy to give you honest opinions on the Esteem! As you said, the Esteem is the first of its kind to hit the market; pretty soon, we'll have more options!

And to kokonut - thanks for the welcome!

Back