Any Deaf Interior Designer Out There?

MetroGuy03

Reaction score
I am an interior design student at Art Institute of Seattle. I have a year left until graduation. I will have a degree of Bachelor's of Fine Arts (BFA) in interior design. I often wonder if there have deaf professional interior designers around. I know a several deaf people that went to interior design schools but never finish it. I like to meet deaf professional interior designers.

i wish i am one of ID but that stuipd school in texas wont allow me becayse of deafness.

you are lucky to be ID. i love to hear about ID.

i wish i am one of ID but that stuipd school in texas wont allow me becayse of deafness.

you are lucky to be ID. i love to hear about ID.

Why not you sue them for violated ADA and Civil Right? Also you shouldn't allow one school stop you from becoming one. There are PLENTY of schools have that program.

well, it was last 15 years ago.

should find one somewhere here.

I wanted to major in Interior designing when I graduated from high school 17 years ago and I expressed that to the VR counselor who came to my school to talk to us about careers and colleges. She told me that I could never be one cuz of my deafness and since I was a niave 18 year old, I believed her and accepted it. Crushed me big time but now looking back, I wish I can find her so I can seriously give her a hard smack in the head for saying something like that to an 18 year old with bright dreams and shattering them. Everytime I think of it, it makes my stomach tighten cuz she really did put me down.

Anyways, I still dream of becoming an Interior Designer..maybe someday ...maybe not. Hope more deaf people become IDs.

I wanted to major in Interior designing when I graduated from high school 17 years ago and I expressed that to the VR counselor who came to my school to talk to us about careers and colleges. She told me that I could never be one cuz of my deafness and since I was a niave 18 year old, I believed her and accepted it. Crushed me big time but now looking back, I wish I can find her so I can seriously give her a hard smack in the head for saying something like that to an 18 year old with bright dreams and shattering them. Everytime I think of it, it makes my stomach tighten cuz she really did put me down.

Anyways, I still dream of becoming an Interior Designer..maybe someday ...maybe not. Hope more deaf people become IDs.

You should never allow anyone to stop you from becoming the one you want to be. Never too late to become an interior designer. You still can go to school and become one. :) You can do it! :)

You should never allow anyone to stop you from becoming the one you want to be. Never too late to become an interior designer. You still can go to school and become one. :) You can do it! :)

:ty: for the vote in confidence. If I knew what I know back then I would have told the VR counselor to kiss my ass!

My kids come first right now..also I love my job too much right now. If my school closes down and I lose my job maybe I will consider it.

So..is the field very competive?

Oh yeah big time! When I first started taking interior design classes over two years ago. Many students didn't think I can do it just because I am deaf. I proved them wrong by my ideas and designs. I got the respects from most of them. The number one reason why it is very competitive because many architectural firms are watching our school like hawks and they're looking for talents to hire for jobs. More than ninety-seven percent of students get job just right after graduation. That puts a lot of pressures on us to be professional that got talents and show off our talents to convince companies to hire us. Some interior design students in my classes hate each other by jealousy. I'm staying out of it and mind my own business. I don't mean to be negative but I'm speaking from my own obversation from my interior design classes.

Oh yeah big time! When I first started taking interior design classes over two years ago. Many students didn't think I can do it just because I am deaf. I proved them wrong by my ideas and designs. I got the respects from most of them. The number one reason why it is very competitive because many architectural firms are watching our school like hawks and they're looking for talents to hire for jobs. More than ninety-seven percent of students get job just right after graduation. That puts a lot of pressures on us to be professional that got talents and show off our talents to convince companies to hire us. Some interior design students in my classes hate each other by jealousy. I'm staying out of it and mind my own business. I don't mean to be negative but I'm speaking from my own obversation from my interior design classes.

Thanks for the FYI..I will keep that in mind if I should ever enter the field. I am always decorating my home in unusual ways and my friends are always asking me for ideas on how to decorate their homes. :giggle:

Thanks for the FYI..I will keep that in mind if I should ever enter the field. I am always decorating my home in unusual ways and my friends are always asking me for ideas on how to decorate their homes. :giggle:

No problem! :) Sounds like you got talents! :) You should use your talents for living. :)

No problem! :) Sounds like you got talents! :) You should use your talents for living. :)

you got that right, it's never too late, I can understand for some people back in the 80's - 90's many teachers or educators would say the same thing no jobs in the field I wanted. Now, I'm making it up to take online courses almost related to what I wanted to do long time ago.. Never stop dreaming for that career as I wouldn't want to be stuck in a job that I never gonna be happy or something I put my heart into nothing I get back from it... smile.. After the last time being in school was more than 25 years ago, I'm gonna keep on learning!!!!

Metro, maybe you can help me with a few things as I have alot on my mind that I can do alot of different things around the house, but I'm scared of paint colour lol.. maybe to start in the basement, I don't know why the previous owner painted turquiose blue with beige berber carpet and a red brick fireplace... does that gross you out lol.... I'm dying to change the colour here maybe more of a mustardly yellow colour walls, would you paint the fireplace??? or leave it as it is??

I don't know why people use gray builder's rug for upstairs it's soo ugly looking and so hard to match anything lol... but I'm dying to change it to laminated wood since the main floor is dark honey hardwood flooring which I love but I have to change the kitchen and bathroom isn't the best to have laminated wood...

I do love RED, rusty, chocolate, soft greeny, or tuscany colours and design... some medierterran colours... smile.. HELPPP!!!!!!! lol

4 bathrooms neeed to be redone, HELPP!!!! lol... maybe we can chat offline or else this post will go on forever smile... wink!!! if not, it's understandable... wink..

t'care,

MetroGuy

Do you have pictures of rooms that you have designed in the past? What style do you design? Also, do you plan to stay in Washington after you graduate?

you got that right, it's never too late, I can understand for some people back in the 80's - 90's many teachers or educators would say the same thing no jobs in the field I wanted. Now, I'm making it up to take online courses almost related to what I wanted to do long time ago.. Never stop dreaming for that career as I wouldn't want to be stuck in a job that I never gonna be happy or something I put my heart into nothing I get back from it... smile.. After the last time being in school was more than 25 years ago, I'm gonna keep on learning!!!!

Metro, maybe you can help me with a few things as I have alot on my mind that I can do alot of different things around the house, but I'm scared of paint colour lol.. maybe to start in the basement, I don't know why the previous owner painted turquiose blue with beige berber carpet and a red brick fireplace... does that gross you out lol.... I'm dying to change the colour here maybe more of a mustardly yellow colour walls, would you paint the fireplace??? or leave it as it is??

I don't know why people use gray builder's rug for upstairs it's soo ugly looking and so hard to match anything lol... but I'm dying to change it to laminated wood since the main floor is dark honey hardwood flooring which I love but I have to change the kitchen and bathroom isn't the best to have laminated wood...

I do love RED, rusty, chocolate, soft greeny, or tuscany colours and design... some medierterran colours... smile.. HELPPP!!!!!!! lol

4 bathrooms neeed to be redone, HELPP!!!! lol... maybe we can chat offline or else this post will go on forever smile... wink!!! if not, it's understandable... wink..

t'care,

Message me and I will give you my aol aim screenname so we will discuss that. :)

Pretty cool! I am not sure if I know anyone who is deaf that into ID. I've seen on HGTV on few vary of ID. So exactly what ID are ya study in? I really sucks in it! I wanted our house look beautiful someday but no $$ to hire one. So someday!! I have a hard time to decide because DHB and I have a little bit different taste....I wanted OUR tastes to combine..that's hard though! That's why I watch HGTV a lot! :giggle:

Yes I have a several pictures.

I can do anything, really.

Depends what kind of job offer I will get after graduation. I might stay in Seattle for another five years. Who knows?

Can I see pictures? Do you do western/southwestern design with furnitures and decos, paint the walls, etc?

Can I see pictures? Do you do western/southwestern design with furnitures and decos, paint the walls, etc?

Message me and I will email you with the pictures.

No, I haven't done western/southwest design yet. I can do that too.

Pretty cool! I am not sure if I know anyone who is deaf that into ID. I've seen on HGTV on few vary of ID. So exactly what ID are ya study in? I really sucks in it! I wanted our house look beautiful someday but no $$ to hire one. So someday!! I have a hard time to decide because DHB and I have a little bit different taste....I wanted OUR tastes to combine..that's hard though! That's why I watch HGTV a lot! :giggle:

Interior Design is pretty general for both residential and commercial. You two can ask for advices to help you two to get some ideas what you two want to do with your home.

Back