Any d/hh hockey players or parents of d/hh hockey players?

rivenoak

Premium Member
Reaction score
(This might not be right forum for question; ok for moderator to move to best place)

DS is 4 1/2 & wears bilateral HAs. He LOVES hockey. He's been playing on foot since he could walk.

Did you wear your HAs under your helmet?
Did you have an FM for coach to use?

Did you go to the Stan Mikita camp?

Basically, tell me about your experience.

We signed DS up for a Kids First program this past winter to learn to skate. We didn't put his HAs on (bad parents, I know). He definitely couldn't hear what the coach was saying. DH was skating with him, so he relayed any pertinent info.

The HAs seem to feedback because parts of the helmet touched them. His horse riding helmet doesn't do that & those're the kinds of helmets I'm familiar with...

He doesn't have an FM yet, but it seems like hockey (or other sports lessons) would be a place where one could be really useful for him.

I heard a story on another board about a kid who got checked so hard both of her HAs popped off. :eek3::eek3: I don't care much about the check, but if those HAs got broken on the ice! :shock:

I think for the Stan Mikita camp, you have to have 50% or less hearing in both ears to qualify. That rules it out for DS, which is really, really sad/annoying.

I'd love to hear your stories/advice.
:ty:

I watch hockey does that count? haha, jk. I skate about as well as Happy Gilmore. FM would be awesome for coach to wear, and does work in sports other than hockey too. I would be scared to wear hearing aids during hockey. Maybe as a kids where checking is much less significant, but only maybe. I do not like to wear for Softball games or when playing basketball. I wear when I play volleyball games, golf, and tennis match though. Oh yeah and bowling :laugh2:

Fms are great in the real world im adult who has dont work for. And fm work ok for. waterproof matériel can be brought from an army supplies store.

Get her helmet repacked(the padding inside removed) to fit the ci/ha and fm boot.

OR

If she uses a body worn system make a waterproof case for the box and buy a helmet that has build in headphones(I brought mine $100 buck from the ski and snowboard shop)

Sports and fms work great if the fm works good in other places.

Get the helemet repacked by a professional

I watch hockey does that count? haha, jk. I skate about as well as Happy Gilmore. FM would be awesome for coach to wear, and does work in sports other than hockey too. I would be scared to wear hearing aids during hockey. Maybe as a kids where checking is much less significant, but only maybe. I do not like to wear for Softball games or when playing basketball. I wear when I play volleyball games, golf, and tennis match though. Oh yeah and bowling :laugh2:

That counts!

Why did you not like to wear HAs for softball/basketball?

That counts!

Why did you not like to wear HAs for softball/basketball?

lots of dirt and I get REALLY dirty playing, also sometimes rain. Also, small risk of getting pegged in the head by a throw, but thats quite small risk. I could probably wear them, but I don't really feel there are anything I need to hearing and don't affect my game at all, so just leave them out. But I understand your point of view with having a youngster who is learning and having coaching. Very good idea to wear HA with FM like smarlink would work good.

Basketball I did wear them at first, but got one wacked out twice from flying arms rebounding and other things, so I just gave that up.

But I understand your point of view with having a youngster who is learning and having coaching. Very good idea to wear HA with FM like smarlink would work good.
Oh that's a good point.......use an FM for coaching etc....but after don't need it.

I used to play inline hockey and did not bother to wear an FM. I am an observer, and my team used to let me know what they say and everything.

Back