Any body like to fly?

I'm leery with the thought of piloting because when I was in junior high school I witnessed a small jet crashed into my parents' land. The pilot, who was a police officier, was dead on the scene.
:/

I LOVE being in the air - I'd prefer to sit and watch the sky than worry about being responsible as a pilot.
do you stop driving just because someone was killed in a car accident? nope...
same thing with flying... there's risk in everything we do in life, driving a car, flying.. skydiving...falling in bath tub, heart attack, health issues, getting robbed at gun point etc.

seriously if the engine quites in a Cessna 172 you simply go to best glide airspeed 60 knots..you'll move about 2.5 feet forward for every foot you descend...from 6000 feet you can glide quite long.. pick a feild and set up for a landing.. and when you have the feild made, extend the flaps and do the landing... done right its no big deal...
life is too much fun to sit around worring about things that will never most likely happen...and if they do, it makes life more fun!

I'm leery with the thought of piloting because when I was in junior high school I witnessed a small jet crashed into my parents' land. The pilot, who was a police officier, was dead on the scene.
:/

I LOVE being in the air - I'd prefer to sit and watch the sky than worry about being responsible as a pilot.

do you stop driving a car just because someone was killed in a car accident? seems to be several accidents each morning in the local newspapers...
life is full of risks no matter what your doing... driving a car, flying a airplane, cruise ship / boat... even biking / walking... in short life is lenthal? your going to die. Maybe not today, but someday you will... life is too short to worry about things like plane crash...its really no big deal... the Cessna if you lose engine you simply change airspeed by raising the nose from cruise speed 120 knots to best glide speed of 60 knots .. pick a feild and set up for landing if your at 6000 feet.. you have good 5 minutes or so flying time to set up. really no big deal... too many people go though life worrying about things.

Mx757

MX757 That is what I found out too. It's not just Deaf that are afraid, hearing people are too. I have offered a ride to many of my friends no takers yet. But you have to remember, this really isn't just a phobia that they are experiencing. Your actually talking about taking a person out of their normal environment, and for a lot of people that is too much to contemplate.

The reality is that they are not the crazy ones here, we are. We know the risks and how to minimize them and have accepted them as the price for the view and feeling of freedom that only flight can give.

We can encourage others to fly but we should not make light of their fears as I can't think of an easier way to cause a person to remain closed to an idea than by trying to convince them that they are being silly about being afraid and they will decide your just reckless.

It is better to acknowledge their fears and try to capture their spirit with a tale of an adventure.

The picture is Rathbun lake in Iowa took it a couple weeks ago. Was going to add more but it is at the attachment size limit now.

Attachments

• Rathbun lake.JPG
    Rathbun lake.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 8
In a way I think you right... but driving is something they've done since baby.. riding with mom / dad, but driving far more dangerous than flying, but they are used to driving.. so they think nothing of it, yea.. your right its not just deaf that are afraid to fly.. the hearing too... it surprised me how many people are afraid of flying. Yesterday I flew from STL to DFW on AA, it was early morning flight I fell asleep before we left the gate and woke when I felt main gear lightly contact runway, flight was that smooth....I spent rest of the day in the hanger cleaning out the hanger, moved the Beechcraft V35 and Cessna A150 aerobat out the hanger to sweep, cleanup hanger.... wanted to fly but...hanger needed to be cleaned up...

are you another deaf pilot? going to deaf pilot fly in Corona California in June?

looks like from a C152 or C172..
nice time of the year to fly.. winter. I miss winter flying here in Texas. but not the cold preflights & pre heating engine...
I think winter flying on VFR day is some of the best flying you can do...you can see for miles and miles.. Summer is often hazy compared to winter flying..

Yes it is a 150. I bought it to finish training. I leave it pluged in during the winter so if the weater good I can just get it and go fly. Yes you can see for miles in the winter, and usually after a storm has passed through.

I am not sure if I am going to go to the fly in in Corona this year pretty much committed to flying out to Az around that time and maybe up to Davis with my brother to see my sister and her kids. I will be going to the DPA fly in next year for certain.

In the mean time I am waiting for the hanger to thaw out, this year storms left about a half inch of ice in the hanger it looks like water got in under the door and its frozen shut I can't open the main door so the plane kind of stuck for the duration. Since it is starting to warm up now I will probably be able to get the plane out next weekend or at least that is what I am hoping to do.

I love adventures but flying isnt one of them. I have always had a phobia of heights whether I am driving on a high freeway ramp, in a glass elevator, on a high cliff, and so on. Even on commercial airplanes, my stomach becomes extremely tight that I cant think straight. Just an issue from something that happened to me as a child.

Anyways, it looks like u have fun and good luck in finding lady friends joining u. I prefer to go on an adventure than go to a deaf club. I get enough of socializing at my job anyway. :)

I love adventures but flying isnt one of them. I have always had a phobia of heights whether I am driving on a high freeway ramp, in a glass elevator, on a high cliff, and so on. Even on commercial airplanes, my stomach becomes extremely tight that I cant think straight. Just an issue from something that happened to me as a child.

Anyways, it looks like u have fun and good luck in finding lady friends joining u. I prefer to go on an adventure than go to a deaf club. I get enough of socializing at my job anyway. :)

Even on commercial airplanes, my stomach becomes extremely tight that I cant think straight. well.. cure is to sit in the aisle seat... close the window shades...

mx757 - I am thinking that you might want to try this new prototype powered air flying vehicle. Would you like to ride it with me? Here are some photos.

Craft2.jpg

Craft7.jpg

Craft3.jpg

If you lived in the Phoenix Valley, I'd go up with you. I am a private pilot currently grounded until I get a minor vision problem corrected.

Cheers, Chuck
that sucks getting your medical pulled do to stuff like that....

just wondering seems everyone afraid fly in small Cessna...
wish more deaf would fly....
I fly alone too often... no one wants to go..

hey! count me in! wana pick me up? :fingersx: I've been to crappy-ass cessna for skydiving and it had car GPS navigator taped to his handles LOL! and His wing has a couple of duct tapes. hahahaha! I wasn't afraid. Plane's pretty much safer than helicopter because in case of engine failure, it can simply glide to any field... would be cool to land on Interstate highway ^_^ and copter? well... let's just say it's not pretty - remember Blackhawk Down?

I would love to get me one of those P-51 Mustang plane or anything like it. I love it! Just gota save up money to get trainings. It's just a thousand bucks or less/more. I also want to fly Little Bird helicopter as well.

I was researching about HOH/Deaf pilots and as I read more, I was very glad to know that HOH/deaf person can fly solo because MOST (in facts, TONSSS) airfields do not have radio towers - just only major airports so that means you gota fly AROUND it (i don't know how many miles radius).

Very very pleased to know a fellow AD who is both a pilot and flight mechanic. Good to know because someday in few years, I want to buy me a plane (unfortunately not a spankingly brand new one).

hey! count me in! wana pick me up? :fingersx: I've been to crappy-ass cessna for skydiving and it had car GPS navigator taped to his handles LOL! and His wing has a couple of duct tapes. hahahaha! I wasn't afraid. Plane's pretty much safer than helicopter because in case of engine failure, it can simply glide to any field... would be cool to land on Interstate highway ^_^ and copter? well... let's just say it's not pretty - remember Blackhawk Down?

I would love to get me one of those P-51 Mustang plane or anything like it. I love it! Just gota save up money to get trainings. It's just a thousand bucks or less/more. I also want to fly Little Bird helicopter as well.

I was researching about HOH/Deaf pilots and as I read more, I was very glad to know that HOH/deaf person can fly solo because MOST (in facts, TONSSS) airfields do not have radio towers - just only major airports so that means you gota fly AROUND it (i don't know how many miles radius).

Very very pleased to know a fellow AD who is both a pilot and flight mechanic. Good to know because someday in few years, I want to buy me a plane (unfortunately not a spankingly brand new one).

How about a Learjet? :giggle:

In a way I think you right... but driving is something they've done since baby.. riding with mom / dad, but driving far more dangerous than flying, but they are used to driving.. so they think nothing of it, yea.. your right its not just deaf that are afraid to fly.. the hearing too... it surprised me how many people are afraid of flying. Yesterday I flew from STL to DFW on AA, it was early morning flight I fell asleep before we left the gate and woke when I felt main gear lightly contact runway, flight was that smooth....I spent rest of the day in the hanger cleaning out the hanger, moved the Beechcraft V35 and Cessna A150 aerobat out the hanger to sweep, cleanup hanger.... wanted to fly but...hanger needed to be cleaned up...

are you another deaf pilot? going to deaf pilot fly in Corona California in June?

Humans have natural fears that were built into genetic code. that's why we get afraid of height, water, and snakes. Cars are land-based which humans are, naturally, more afraid of planes than cars. Plane crashes are pretty not quite common! Malfunctions do happen just as much as your car on highways but no crash!

My friend developed an extremely huge fear of plane because of 9/11 and this incident he had while back. The jumbo plane was shaking a lot because of turbulence when trying to land. He got terrified for his life. Since then - he never flew again. so sad... he only takes bus/train/car around USA. He never gets out of country either.

Humans have natural fears that were built into genetic code. that's why we get afraid of height, water, and snakes. Cars are land-based which humans are, naturally, more afraid of planes than cars. Plane crashes are pretty not quite common! Malfunctions do happen just as much as your car on highways but no crash!

My friend developed an extremely huge fear of plane because of 9/11 and this incident he had while back. The jumbo plane was shaking a lot because of turbulence when trying to land. He got terrified for his life. Since then - he never flew again. so sad... he only takes bus/train/car around USA. He never gets out of country either.

I have always have a fear of heights especially flying in planes but I force myself to fly on planes. I just flew in one about 6 weeks ago. I just dont look forward to it, that's all but I dont get all jumpy or behave irrationally on a plane. One time, a plane I was on couldnt land in San Franciso cuz of the turbulence...so we had to circle around the airport for another hour until it calmed down. It was scary.

How about a Learjet? :giggle:

oh god... don't tempt me... that would be awesome to fly turbine engines. However, I'm a huge fan of propeller-powered planes.

[yt]oJFXJWXPVOM[/yt]

Red Bull Air Race has to be the most insane sport I've ever seen. It even scared me just to watch it!! :eek2:
[yt]MaVoqPJUcx8[/yt]

For those who prefer helicopter....
[yt]eTFodNmCP24[/yt]

:zzz::zzz: not quite entertaining...

and for those who prefer JET...
[yt]gTMYnvEMgDk[/yt]

mx757 - do you know any site that sells plane of something similar to P-51 design?? I couldn't find it in google cuz all I got is mostly some links to hobby shop selling scale models. :wtflol:

I once operated a small helicopter when I was about 15. Of course, with supervision.

My late great-uncle Rufus used to own several small planes. He commuted to work (180-mile, roundtrip) each day and flew to different places over the years.

My aunt Darlene's second husband built his own plane though I don't remember what the plane looked like.

I don't know if I am willing to operate a plane without having to look down.

Back