Anxious

Stephie17

Reaction score
Hi everyone! This question is specific to those in the deaf community.

I am an ASL student and am really nervous about using ASL in the "real world". One of my fears is that I will say or do something that is offensive. I understand how to be a polite person in general, but, like going to a foreign country, it's just smart to ask in advance of landing. Are there any specific etiquettes or cultural "rules" I should follow?

Don't sweat it. Sure, you probably will sign something offensive at some point, and I know for a fact that you will also be on the receiving end of some offensive signing by some tricksters. Just accept the fact and either apologize or laugh, depending on what's appropriate, and move on. If you don't take chances you'll never progress. :)

Thanks guys! I promise I won't purposely give anyone the finger (unless they REALLY deserve it). That's too funny!

Haha, one day I was trying to sign a female friend that she is 'lesbian' instead of 'lazy' loool. same sign but in a different position. She just was like.. :O and after that she laughed.

Oh no lol!! I keep making like a bull type sign with my hands instead of Y position. Apparently that's not a nice sign. Still trying to figure that one out. Also, turning aunt inward toward your face is also not a polite word. My poor teacher!

Haha, one day I was trying to sign a female friend that she is 'lesbian' instead of 'lazy' loool. same sign but in a different position. She just was like.. :O and after that she laughed.

This is the sign for lesbian:
sexually-suggestive-gesture.gif

Back