Another Reason To Sign

Jazzberry

Reaction score
I went to an HLAA meeting tonight and chatted afterwards with someone fairly new to hearing loss.

One of the things we talked about was how differently Hearing and HH people hear and communicate. For me, life-long HH person, this is based on a lot of speculation. For her, life-long hearing person new to hearing loss, this is something she seems to be very aware of.

I told her my impression was that at many HH meetings (including committee meetings), that it seemed that so much energy is often spent on trying to hear each other, that people tend to speak very plainly to each other. Depending upon the topic, while that can help us understand each other -- it can sometimes lead to people getting more easily upset with each other also. Because it leaves very little room for negotiations or to spare feelings.

She said she got what I was saying. She had noticed at the whole meeting that she had never been with so many people where the conversation was so flat, in both word choice and tone. She said that among hearing people there are many tools besides just the words themselves -- voice tone, jokes, innuendo, dry humor, sarcasm, etc. (Obviously HH people tell each other jokes, but when you're straining to hear you don't often hear it the first time. And the other "tools" work better when you can hear very well also.) *

So, I was left thinking here is another thing that we, the d/HH, give up when we don't get access to sign. Subtle conversation and all the associated social skills that come with learning how to communicate that way while growing up.

* Note: We spent a lot of time talking about this. It's hard to capture the content of the conversation in a short post. This 10-minute video gets into a little bit of what I'm trying to say:

[yt]3-son3EJTrU[/yt]

It has captions that are mostly accurate. It's also shot like an animated whiteboard so that helps clear up the few captioning errors.

Last edited:
I liked that. How did you find it?

An example I use for an example of miscommunication is the "bad sign language" videos. They are funny.

Yours are educational and very explanatory.

I liked that. How did you find it?

I belong to another forum and a poster there linked to that video to back up a point he was making. I was really impressed with the video so I bookmarked it.

I have watched it a few times since then, it has really made an impression on me.

An example I use for an example of miscommunication is the "bad sign language" videos. They are funny.

Funny? I like funny! Any links? :)

I wish there was a "love" button instead of just a "like" one. That video is awesome, thanks for posting it!!

Well this is a reason why oral dhh kids tend to only have a superfical grasp on spoken language. If late deafened people are keeping their language sparse, to make it easier to understand, it's no wonder born dhh oral kids do the same thing.

:ty: that was really intriguing!
I'd read some things about the intelligence of ravens but didn't know about the gesture studies-

Well this is a reason why oral dhh kids tend to only have a superfical grasp on spoken language. If late deafened people are keeping their language sparse, to make it easier to understand, it's no wonder born dhh oral kids do the same thing.

I think it is likely for many oral dhh kids that some people keep the language simple when speaking with them to increase the odds that they will hear it correctly.

On one level that works, but it certainly isn't great for vocabulary acquisition or getting into the more sophisticated and fun aspects of language.'

I'm not hearing as well with my current HAs as with my last pair and I noticed it has affected how much I speak with hearing people who are acquaintences.

Business oriented convesation has continued but casual shoot the breeze type conversation with acquaintences has been reduced.

For example, the other day, someone who shares the office with one of my clients was eating an unusual lunch. In the past that probably would have expanded into a conversation about unusual ways to use Indian sauces and different vegetarian dishes.

(She was using Indian sauce on roasted vegetables and I occasionally like to
make spaghetti but when I do I often make it with an Indian sauce instead of a more traditional Italian influenced tomato sauce. We are both obviously battlling middle age fat creep and are both apparently also exploring interesting ways to eat veggies. That would, under normal circumstances, lead to an exchange of ideas.)

But that didn't happen. Conversation can lose interest for hearing people also if they have to repeat a little too often. I find it can especially be a killer if I start missing a word or two within the first couple of minutes. Nips the the conversation right in the bud before it ever gets a chance to take off.

And I'm having that issue despite being a fair lip reader and having a great grasp of the English language.

And I do have to say I wish there was a HOH organization for young people. HLAA is too.....I dunno....Hearing Health 101. It fills a need yes....but the thing is, the late deafened people in the organization do not understand that the reason younger dhh folks aren't involved with the organization is b/c most of us younger dhh folks have already pretty much experianced the "How the Ear Hears" approach. Besides HOW many times can you read the same old "hearing health 101" articles again over and over?
Granted it's not exclusive to hearing loss organziations....one of my friends is blind, and he says the same thing ....there's a HUGE diffy between a support group for age related sight loss, and a student blind/low vision support group.

And I do have to say I wish there was a HOH organization for young people. HLAA is too.....I dunno....Hearing Health 101. It fills a need yes....but the thing is, the late deafened people in the organization do not understand that the reason younger dhh folks aren't involved with the organization is b/c most of us younger dhh folks have already pretty much experianced the "How the Ear Hears" approach. Besides HOW many times can you read the same old "hearing health 101" articles again over and over?
Granted it's not exclusive to hearing loss organziations....one of my friends is blind, and he says the same thing ....there's a HUGE diffy between a support group for age related sight loss, and a student blind/low vision support group.

I hear you. What I find is that if people choose to continue to stay involved with HLAA they do so on a grassroots lobbying or, since Walk4Hearing* has gotten started a few years ago, on a fund raising basis. The focus is on lobbying or fundraising but friendships develop also.

I know younger people who wish that they were an HLAA chapter available in NYC for younger people -- but just wishing does not make it so. "If wishes were horses .... " :shrug:

* Probably not the best name for the fundraiser that is organized with the intent of being a fundraising opportunity for all organizations involved with the D/d/HH and not just HLAA -- but the name does reflect the fact that most people involved in HLAA are late deafened adults.

I hear you. What I find is that if people choose to continue to stay involved with HLAA they do so on a grassroots lobbying or, since Walk4Hearing* has gotten started a few years ago, on a fund raising basis. The focus is on lobbying or fundraising but friendships develop also.

I know younger people who wish that they were an HLAA chapter available in NYC for younger people -- but just wishing does not make it so. "If wishes were horses .... " :shrug:

* Probably not the best name for the fundraiser that is organized with the intent of being a fundraising opportunity for all organizations involved with the D/d/HH and not just HLAA -- but the name does reflect the fact that most people involved in HLAA are late deafened adults.
I don't understand the point of Walk4Hearing at all.......Seriously, so you do a walkathon and ask people for money? Most of the money is going towards administratve costs rather then real research etc......and seriously, that's 1 huge reason why young people deserve access to Deaf culture and ASL!!!! So that boring crap like this isn't the only thing available to them!

I don't understand the point of Walk4Hearing at all.......Seriously, so you do a walkathon and ask people for money? Most of the money is going towards administratve costs rather then real research etc......and seriously, that's 1 huge reason why young people deserve access to Deaf culture and ASL!!!! So that boring crap like this isn't the only thing available to them!

You ask good questions and I'm going to ask you to give me some time to give you a good answer. For now I'll just say two things:

* I took a quick look at the National HLAA's 990 for 2010 and that confirmed that most of the organization's money was spent on Programs, not Management & General Expenses or Fundraising Fees. (The 990 is an informational return that nonprofit organizations must file with the IRS. The three categories I listed above is how the IRS wants nonprofit organizations to categorize their expenses. This is helpful because it is a good way for contributers to determine if they are donating their money wisely. GuideStar nonprofit reports and Forms 990 for donors, grantmakers and businesses is a good place to find organization's 990s. )

* It's true that HLAA does not raise money for research. Research is not part of the organization's mission. HLAA's mission is to educate both consumers and policy makers about hearing loss, and to work on the national level to affect legislation that impacts people with hearing loss.

ETA: Just want to comment about ASL and Deaf Culture. AFAICT, HLAA's membership is mostly late deafened. Late deafened adults typically have not been exposed to ASL or Deaf Culture anymore than the rest of America. I think most Americans, including late deafened ones, find the thought of learning and becoming fluent in another language overwhelming. That's unfortunate, but that doesn't take away from the fact that politically Deaf, deaf and hard of hearing Americans have more interests in common than not. Many of the legislatives issues that HLAA has been working on benefits all Deaf, deaf and hard of hearing Americans. For example, ADA issues, insurance coverage for hearing aids, and captioning for both television and the internet just to mention a few.

Last edited:
Back