Another Doctor / hospital - No interpreters and "dropping the ball" - LONG

jcandpcb

Reaction score
Hi All - So I'm a 36 YO woman with bilateral sensioneural hearing loss. I was born hearing - was HOH from age 5 on - went to gally but married hearing man, had hearing kids - I lipread pretty well. ANYWAY...I've only just started requesting interpreters for my doctor's appointments. I live in the Savannah, GA area - not a huge city but certainly not a small town. So this is what's been going on...

Learned pretty quick that even though I ask for an interpreter, and even provide the interp referall service info - giving more than enough notice I show up and the secretary just looks at me with a blank expression. Put up with it a few times, but my hearing fiance started getting mad, vocal because it keeps happening!

In March my mom was hospitalized - my dad - is deaf. my mom has been his ears for the last 30 years. He barely reads lips, he doesn't sign. So her emergency gallbladder surgery ended up becoming a 3 month hospital stay - mostly in CCU (Cardiac ICU). We told nurses, aids, PA's, hospital admins that he was deaf, that I'm deaf - so write things down for him or I would need an interpreter for Doc visits. The patient guide at the hospital even has a page about the ADA and accomodations for the Deaf. 6 weeks into everything, still haven't met a doctor, just get updates that mom is stable - called around to Doc offices telling them we wanted to meet with doc, with interp to know what was going on. Mom can't talk, she couldn't write well either because her hands were shaking so bad. She was intubated, lost her voice, ended up having 4 surgeries - one open chest surgery. Nurses would just write my mom's stats. My mom's hearing family comes up - one of her docs have a meeting with mom's cousin and her hearing husband, my dad standing right there. After convo, dad looks at moms cousin and said "I don't like the look of that conversation (their facial expressions)- My mom was a very very sick woman and they felt she wasn't going to make it! 6 weeks into her treatment this was the first time we were told anything like this - and her doc didn't even talk to her HUSBAND or write for him. After that, I got with hospital admin, figuring out how services needed to be provided. They're like can you bring an ipad for them to type on? (we don't have one and dad is still stuck in the stone ages) - I'm like, you can get someone to do open caption and transcribe for him. I ask for interpreter for meeting we set up after a procedure to meet doc and talk about mom was told interpreter would be there. Of course there was no interpreter! I was there with my 4 children, the doc had mustache beard and I couldn't understand him. I had to ask my 14 year old daughter what was going on. Anyway - mom lived - came home in june - dad had to ahve meeting with SSDI for her, etc - even SSDI didn't provide someone to translate for him. He's on SSDI cause he's deaf. So that's one story - my mom's first surgery actually caused all of her other problems, the doc perforated her esophagus.

So onto me - Now I'm requesting interpreters since my DF can't always come with me. I get a referral for a Neurosurgeon in August - told scheduling person I'm deaf, I need an interpreter. Called Doc office 4 business days before to tell them I need interpreter. Left message on voice mail with interpreter referral information and phone number. 2 days before appt was told that it would get set up and they'd call to finalize next morning. One business day before appt they call I call back relay they say can you give me the phone number again (was told this was already done and they called). 430 pm dr office call fiance voice and say they are having trouble getting auth to pay for interpreter. He loses it, tells them that they make it happen - been waiting since May for Neuro appt. Next morning - made arrangements to have kids put on bus so we could leave on time for 820 am appt - one hour drive. Show up. No interpreter. Go to office manager - 90 mins later he says don't worry we will get you in today we will ge interpreter go do some errands and we'll call you. you will see doctor today. 130 pm they call say they have appt set up for me at 130 pm 2 days later. I lost my mind - crying on phone because I was THERE that DAY - they refused to let fiance interpret for me because he wasn't qualified. Doctor said he would not see me without an interpreter. I offered can we write just so I can come in today - they say we have appt set up at 130 friday with iterpreter. Feeling stuck, I took that appt. Called Interpreter scheduler and find out that they never got call for interpreter until 3 hours AFTER my scheduled appt - had interpreter in town that said she would show up and stay to get me in that day. Med office called them and told them I said I would come in at any time on Friday - they LIED. Friday appt had interpreter they set up MRI scans - when they called to schedule we tell them (same building, same practice) I need interpreter they say can you just bring someone that can hear with you. Fiance says no - he is military and was already missing too much work. They set up, interpreter fine. 10 days later office called said they wanted me to come in next day but no interpreter avail so they set up appt for 4 business days out at 940 am interpreter would be there. Day before that appt, office emails me asking me for another contact number for interpreter because they say service never called them back. I tell them I give you this information 3 times already - get text and they want to change appt time to 1040 said they couldn't get someone at 940. I said fine - go to appt, find out I need to see neurosurgeon now I have condition that needs brain surgery. Before we left office they scheduled 1 month follow up with neurologist i just saw - called interpreter service to confirm that right away. Then called Neurosurgeon tell them I need appt asap - schedule for sept 5 told them I need sign language interpreter. August 31 I get email from Neurosurgeon saying they do not have interpreter scheduled so they cancel my appt and said they would contact me with new appt time. Fiance checks voice mail friday night and they said reason no interpreter was because they don't know how to do the billing/funding to pay for it. They never had deaf patient before. He is livid - he has to leave for army training will be out of contact for 3 weeks. One week goes by, no new appt. i contact neurologist via email tell them what happened - they say they will call and fix. Get email from Neurosurgeon saying they are waiting to confirm interpreter before they schedule me. I say I need a date - my fiance is deploying now and we need to schedule surgery asap so he can be there - I say please if I can write with doctor I will take earlier appt. They will not discuss and say they should know by tomorrow - Neurologist says they have appt set for 19 sept 10 am but waiting for confirmation from Interpreter referral service. Fiance calls livid says we want a new neurosurgeon, we want appt THIS WEEK. GEt email says they see me the 19th at 10 am - at this point was 10 days away still.

I am upset because in May I started physical therapy - we requested interpreter, I got to schedule my own appointments, they always had interpreter for me, they never cancelled, screwed up, asked me to bring a hearing person, told me they didn't know how to pay for it or didn't have the money or tell me I have to pay for it. They never had a deaf patient either and they were a small practice.

I'm sorry this is so long - I find out neurosurgeon only does the surgery at the hospital that my mom was at. So now I'm looking for new doctors - I don't care that they never had a deaf patient before they are not small practices and should know how to at least google "deaf interpreter doctor appointment savannah"

What do you all think? My fiance wants to sue - he's determined to sue. He leaves for deployment for a year so i have to do something to make sure this doesn't keep happening!

If I were your husband I would be outlandishly furious. As should you. You and all others who need/deserve said accomodations should always get them. Its against the law to screw you around like this; to put you through all of this. I'm so very sorry but I will agree with your husband about this. It sounds very harsh, and it is but the fact remains that this doctors office/hospital has gotten away with doing this before. So they feel confident that they can step all over whoever they want with no repercussions; that they can save their hospitals money by not providing a terp for those needing it. So essentially, it does come down to $$$$ sadly. Another option would be to contact the BBB and file a formalized complaint IN ADDITION to seeking legal retribution. Just my two cents...... Tell your husband I wish him luck on his deployment, keep his head down and be safe....Wish I could be there with him. God speed. Hope this is helpful and encouraging.

What do you all think? My fiance wants to sue - he's determined to sue. He leaves for deployment for a year so i have to do something to make sure this doesn't keep happening!

I'd sue - they're obligated by law to provide accommodations. Force them.

Laura

problem is - I saw a statement you made- four days before your appt, you requested an terp. Hmmm? around here its a 2 weeks in advance to request a terp and if needed, you can defer your appt till you get a terp. ask for name and agency who will be there.
The only time you can get a terp less then 24hrs is if it life threatening or emergency or something with time sensitive situation.
If you are in an area where there arent many deaf/terps it might be even longer lead time to get a terp.

Next time - when you show up and there is still no terp and you did give them more then 2 weeks notice, request them to get an on call or defer your appt at their cost. This is within reasonable accommodation.

what awful thing to happen..i would thought amount you all pay in medical insurences you get better treatment than that..

It helps to remind the doctors that if either the patient or doctor takes actions based on misunderstandings, and the results are detrimental to the patient's health, then there can be a case for a malpractice suit. For that reason, it's a good business practice for the doctor to hire a qualified interpreter.

It is never acceptable for a family member to interpret a medical appointment. It's not ethical, legal, comfortable, or practical.

problem is - I saw a statement you made- four days before your appt, you requested an terp. Hmmm? around here its a 2 weeks in advance to request a terp and if needed, you can defer your appt till you get a terp. ask for name and agency who will be there.
The only time you can get a terp less then 24hrs is if it life threatening or emergency or something with time sensitive situation.
If you are in an area where there arent many deaf/terps it might be even longer lead time to get a terp.

Next time - when you show up and there is still no terp and you did give them more then 2 weeks notice, request them to get an on call or defer your appt at their cost. This is within reasonable accommodation.

I actually requested a terp 6 weeks prior when the appointment was made. I called them with 4 business days (our terp referral service aceepts minimum 2 business days prior to appointment but a week or two preferred - they have provided one for me within 24 hours for another situation) to remind them and also provided the terp referral service just in case. It was provided to them when the appointment was made by the scheduler 6 weeks prior (the referral was requested in may, told doc that need terp for referral appt - 6 weeks we get the call with referral person with appt date - again requested terp - then 4 business days I called again to remind them - then 2 business days called to make sure it was going to happen, was assured by the doc office they were on top of it...then they were saying they didn't know how to pay for it, some say it's my responsibility...you guys know all the excuses). I should have clarified better - It made me mad that even after I was there, knew there was no interpreter, that they refused to see me without one or allow us to write. It was the doc who refused.

There is a thread about how to pursue ADA violations in this forum. I haven't read it, but it might be a good place to research how to deal with this.

I actually requested a terp 6 weeks prior when the appointment was made. I called them with 4 business days (our terp referral service aceepts minimum 2 business days prior to appointment but a week or two preferred - they have provided one for me within 24 hours for another situation) to remind them and also provided the terp referral service just in case. It was provided to them when the appointment was made by the scheduler 6 weeks prior (the referral was requested in may, told doc that need terp for referral appt - 6 weeks we get the call with referral person with appt date - again requested terp - then 4 business days I called again to remind them - then 2 business days called to make sure it was going to happen, was assured by the doc office they were on top of it...then they were saying they didn't know how to pay for it, some say it's my responsibility...you guys know all the excuses). I should have clarified better - It made me mad that even after I was there, knew there was no interpreter, that they refused to see me without one or allow us to write. It was the doc who refused.

Ok - now with THIS information, it makes all sense. Since the doc refused to see you anyways means he KNOWS the possible malpractice issue. Did you speak to the doctor anyway so he can reprimand the nurses/secretaries and reschedule you WITH a terp this time? Its unfornuate it happened to you but it has happened to me before and it going to happen again and again . Same with others. Only when you establish a relationship with the doctors office, you will be able to get what you need next time. Thing is, it always takes the FIRST deaf person to "eastablish the rules" even though we have ADA laws protecting us. The problem is knowing what to do and were steps taken to make sure we had tried to inform/setup the interpreting needs that we need. We are still in dark on that since there are no "classes" or seminars to explain guidelines/rules/laws to all of us.

I hope sincerely you can get this resolved quickly. Just be sure you document these things and keep a dairy of all conversations/actions/people names as its your only power at this point.

I reading your comments, it is terrible serious! that is pretty upset, Should be sue to Court, lawyer, you complaint to not happy! you serious!!

in uk i can get facsillitaor. it is an idea that came from ameriaca,can you ask for one because they will sort everything,that the theary but in uk you got to know about it in first place and many dont i only discovered it few weeks back
it just a thought

This is awful and I can see it just like you wrote it. Surgeons offices are strange places very different from each other in how they operate. ouch

Last edited:
It is more difficult to work with individual doctors' offices than large hospitals. Hospitals usually have an ombudsman's office or social services director with whom you can work to resolve problems. Doctor's offices sometimes have iron-lady office managers who are difficult to deal with. I found out that sometimes the doctors themselves don't even know about the interpreter problems because the office manager "handles" it. I don't envy anyone having to deal with such situations.

this is not good, i cant say anymore because i dont want to repeat what everyone already had said, but certainly listen to Reba, SteveB, and Lau
NAIL them!!...and Good Luck, (not luck much to do with it, its how you do it)

Wirelessly posted

jcandpcb said:
Hi All - So I'm a 36 YO woman with bilateral sensioneural hearing loss. I was born hearing - was HOH from age 5 on - went to gally but married hearing man, had hearing kids - I lipread pretty well. ANYWAY...I've only just started requesting interpreters for my doctor's appointments. I live in the Savannah, GA area - not a huge city but certainly not a small town. So this is what's been going on...

Learned pretty quick that even though I ask for an interpreter, and even provide the interp referall service info - giving more than enough notice I show up and the secretary just looks at me with a blank expression. Put up with it a few times, but my hearing fiance started getting mad, vocal because it keeps happening!

In March my mom was hospitalized - my dad - is deaf. my mom has been his ears for the last 30 years. He barely reads lips, he doesn't sign. So her emergency gallbladder surgery ended up becoming a 3 month hospital stay - mostly in CCU (Cardiac ICU). We told nurses, aids, PA's, hospital admins that he was deaf, that I'm deaf - so write things down for him or I would need an interpreter for Doc visits. The patient guide at the hospital even has a page about the ADA and accomodations for the Deaf. 6 weeks into everything, still haven't met a doctor, just get updates that mom is stable - called around to Doc offices telling them we wanted to meet with doc, with interp to know what was going on. Mom can't talk, she couldn't write well either because her hands were shaking so bad. She was intubated, lost her voice, ended up having 4 surgeries - one open chest surgery. Nurses would just write my mom's stats. My mom's hearing family comes up - one of her docs have a meeting with mom's cousin and her hearing husband, my dad standing right there. After convo, dad looks at moms cousin and said "I don't like the look of that conversation (their facial expressions)- My mom was a very very sick woman and they felt she wasn't going to make it! 6 weeks into her treatment this was the first time we were told anything like this - and her doc didn't even talk to her HUSBAND or write for him. After that, I got with hospital admin, figuring out how services needed to be provided. They're like can you bring an ipad for them to type on? (we don't have one and dad is still stuck in the stone ages) - I'm like, you can get someone to do open caption and transcribe for him. I ask for interpreter for meeting we set up after a procedure to meet doc and talk about mom was told interpreter would be there. Of course there was no interpreter! I was there with my 4 children, the doc had mustache beard and I couldn't understand him. I had to ask my 14 year old daughter what was going on. Anyway - mom lived - came home in june - dad had to ahve meeting with SSDI for her, etc - even SSDI didn't provide someone to translate for him. He's on SSDI cause he's deaf. So that's one story - my mom's first surgery actually caused all of her other problems, the doc perforated her esophagus.

So onto me - Now I'm requesting interpreters since my DF can't always come with me. I get a referral for a Neurosurgeon in August - told scheduling person I'm deaf, I need an interpreter. Called Doc office 4 business days before to tell them I need interpreter. Left message on voice mail with interpreter referral information and phone number. 2 days before appt was told that it would get set up and they'd call to finalize next morning. One business day before appt they call I call back relay they say can you give me the phone number again (was told this was already done and they called). 430 pm dr office call fiance voice and say they are having trouble getting auth to pay for interpreter. He loses it, tells them that they make it happen - been waiting since May for Neuro appt. Next morning - made arrangements to have kids put on bus so we could leave on time for 820 am appt - one hour drive. Show up. No interpreter. Go to office manager - 90 mins later he says don't worry we will get you in today we will ge interpreter go do some errands and we'll call you. you will see doctor today. 130 pm they call say they have appt set up for me at 130 pm 2 days later. I lost my mind - crying on phone because I was THERE that DAY - they refused to let fiance interpret for me because he wasn't qualified. Doctor said he would not see me without an interpreter. I offered can we write just so I can come in today - they say we have appt set up at 130 friday with iterpreter. Feeling stuck, I took that appt. Called Interpreter scheduler and find out that they never got call for interpreter until 3 hours AFTER my scheduled appt - had interpreter in town that said she would show up and stay to get me in that day. Med office called them and told them I said I would come in at any time on Friday - they LIED. Friday appt had interpreter they set up MRI scans - when they called to schedule we tell them (same building, same practice) I need interpreter they say can you just bring someone that can hear with you. Fiance says no - he is military and was already missing too much work. They set up, interpreter fine. 10 days later office called said they wanted me to come in next day but no interpreter avail so they set up appt for 4 business days out at 940 am interpreter would be there. Day before that appt, office emails me asking me for another contact number for interpreter because they say service never called them back. I tell them I give you this information 3 times already - get text and they want to change appt time to 1040 said they couldn't get someone at 940. I said fine - go to appt, find out I need to see neurosurgeon now I have condition that needs brain surgery. Before we left office they scheduled 1 month follow up with neurologist i just saw - called interpreter service to confirm that right away. Then called Neurosurgeon tell them I need appt asap - schedule for sept 5 told them I need sign language interpreter. August 31 I get email from Neurosurgeon saying they do not have interpreter scheduled so they cancel my appt and said they would contact me with new appt time. Fiance checks voice mail friday night and they said reason no interpreter was because they don't know how to do the billing/funding to pay for it. They never had deaf patient before. He is livid - he has to leave for army training will be out of contact for 3 weeks. One week goes by, no new appt. i contact neurologist via email tell them what happened - they say they will call and fix. Get email from Neurosurgeon saying they are waiting to confirm interpreter before they schedule me. I say I need a date - my fiance is deploying now and we need to schedule surgery asap so he can be there - I say please if I can write with doctor I will take earlier appt. They will not discuss and say they should know by tomorrow - Neurologist says they have appt set for 19 sept 10 am but waiting for confirmation from Interpreter referral service. Fiance calls livid says we want a new neurosurgeon, we want appt THIS WEEK. GEt email says they see me the 19th at 10 am - at this point was 10 days away still.

I am upset because in May I started physical therapy - we requested interpreter, I got to schedule my own appointments, they always had interpreter for me, they never cancelled, screwed up, asked me to bring a hearing person, told me they didn't know how to pay for it or didn't have the money or tell me I have to pay for it. They never had a deaf patient either and they were a small practice.

I'm sorry this is so long - I find out neurosurgeon only does the surgery at the hospital that my mom was at. So now I'm looking for new doctors - I don't care that they never had a deaf patient before they are not small practices and should know how to at least google "deaf interpreter doctor appointment savannah"

sue and find an activist to help you... I know this is a few months late...

it's stories like this that make me want to do a double major when I get to CSUN, being a terp and an activist for the community cuz this is effed up... so many things wrong with this, I swear... *growls long and deep*

Back