Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

Hope your eye is feeling better today.

You were right to tell her how you felt, and Im glad you got a productive result out of that.

I had to pick my nephew up from school yesterday. I was to take him to the doctor's office for one of his appointments.

I stood on the sidewalk where he would normally come out of the building to head toward the bus so that he would see me and not get on the bus.

School lets out, and I watch the kids funnel out of the school building and filter onto the proper buses.

A teacher helping a blind student find the bus was walking past, and suddenly stopped. The teacher looked at me and opened her mouth.

Her lips were flapping and in my point of view, no sound was coming out.

Clearly this was a Special Education Teacher, so the appropriate response from me is in Sign: "I'm Deaf. Do you Sign?"

The lady kept flapping her lips and not sign back.

The more she flapped her lips, the more I signed without making a sound.

Finally she got mad or impatient and continued toward the bus with the blind student.

My impression: The Special Education Teacher is RETARDED OR STUPID OR BOTH!!!

What the hell is wrong with this picture?

Uggh...

-Chris

I'm sure hearies don't realize how tedious it is to lipread
You are not kidding.

Wearing my HAs from the time I wake up until I go to bed, leads me to exhaustion. Lipreading and trying to pay attention is mentally taxing.

Some times I have my HAs on for 9 hours straight and I just need to take them out for a good 30 minutes to give my brain and my ears a break.

I sure don't miss working my 3 jobs I had back in my early 20s. 16 hour days. Some days were so tough I wanted to cry.

annoying hearing husband story....whenever I am busy doing stuff around the house, he wants to chat but I cant because I need my eyes on whatever I am doing and I have an one track mind..I must finish a goal before doing something else. He doenst understand that it is hard for me to chat while cleaning or cooking. ugh

annoying hearing husband story....whenever I am busy doing stuff around the house, he wants to chat but I cant because I need my eyes on whatever I am doing and I have an one track mind..I must finish a goal before doing something else. He doenst understand that it is hard for me to chat while cleaning or cooking. ugh

Apparently, your husband loves you so much that he enjoys chatting with you. Is he a normal hearing people?You find a chance to tell him your problem and make him understand you. Also, arranging special time for you couples to chat and relax

Apparently, your husband loves you so much that he enjoys chatting with you. Is he a normal hearing people?You find a chance to tell him your problem and make him understand you. Also, arranging special time for you couples to chat and relax

We have the evening to chat..whenever I am relaxed, he isn't in a chatting mood but when I get busy doing stuff, then he wants to chat. Just drives me nuts! :lol:

haha, he seems like such a naughty child and then it is your duty to teach him to "well-behaved". Is there any other problem that is difficult for you?

I was asked yesterday how my doctor allowed me to have children if I had a hearing loss. I wanted to hit that person so hard.

If they had kids, you should have asked them how their doctor allowed them to have children since they are so stupid and ignorant!! :laugh2: (Not like I would have thought of that if I were in that situation- I usually clam up when people say stupid things and then think of 50 good come-backs after I walk away or they are gone!!)

Was working for two weeks and I was always asked this question, " is there a system on your hearing aids to use the phone?" Or when I had to do meetings if I could take notes. "Just wing it" I am deaf how can you wing taking notes... I also could not have a job coach...which in NY state hard of hearing/deaf people are accommodated to have one.

Was working for two weeks and I was always asked this question, " is there a system on your hearing aids to use the phone?" Or when I had to do meetings if I could take notes. "Just wing it" I am deaf how can you wing taking notes... I also could not have a job coach...which in NY state hard of hearing/deaf people are accommodated to have one.
i am curious what is your job?

For my cousin's wedding I was asked by my loud aunt (implying she talks to much), "So, are your headphones in your ears gonna help you dance at the reception?"

I had no reply except to roll my eyes and walk away. Apparently here is my start to the joy of people not understanding HAs...

For the hearing people, they like to assume
they assume that all deaf people are the same.
Some use sign language, and some lipread. Some like to use a sign language interpreter, others prefer speech-to-text. Some swing both ways on the above, but don’t assume it’s ok to call us ‘swingers’ as a result.
they also assume that because we heard everything they said one day, we’ll hear everything they say the next.
We might be in a noisy place. They might speak less clearly.
They assume they’re cleverer than us because we occasionally mishear something.
They might be cleverer than us, they might not.

My first time on a train in NJ and I had bought the wrong ticket.(Or at least I think that is what it was.) All I knew was I had to give my ticket over and he would clip it or stamp it or whatever. For whatever reason he started yelling at me. I know he was yelling at me because the entire train turned to look at me. I pointed to my ear which had a very visable HA in it. Not knowing what he said, and I could see his face turning red. I panicked and got my ID out, thinking that I may have to show it or something. He grabbed it from me and practically threw it back in my face. He pointed to my purse, and I grabbed it in confusion and made a gesture for money. I don't know exactly what happened but I guess I bought the wrong ticket. The guy was so obviously furious with me but I had NO idea what was going on! I was alone, going back to my home town.

Usually I would take take the train into Philadelphia and than take the greyhound into NJ, but my mother urged me to let her pick me up at the station....

I was so embarrassed by this conductor, don't EVER think I will take the NJ train again. The man had NO patience what so ever! And he was RUDE!

My first time on a train in NJ and I had bought the wrong ticket.(Or at least I think that is what it was.) All I knew was I had to give my ticket over and he would clip it or stamp it or whatever. For whatever reason he started yelling at me. I know he was yelling at me because the entire train turned to look at me. I pointed to my ear which had a very visable HA in it. Not knowing what he said, and I could see his face turning red. I panicked and got my ID out, thinking that I may have to show it or something. He grabbed it from me and practically threw it back in my face. He pointed to my purse, and I grabbed it in confusion and made a gesture for money. I don't know exactly what happened but I guess I bought the wrong ticket. The guy was so obviously furious with me but I had NO idea what was going on! I was alone, going back to my home town.

Usually I would take take the train into Philadelphia and than take the greyhound into NJ, but my mother urged me to let her pick me up at the station....

I was so embarrassed by this conductor, don't EVER think I will take the NJ train again. The man had NO patience what so ever! And he was RUDE!
Was it Amtrak or NJT? I would contact the appropriate customer service, via email (should be able to find the contact info on their website) & let them know what happene. Just don't be rude yourself as you explain the situation. They need to know so they can better train their employees. If you remember which train # you were on, that will help.

This was about a year or so ago. It was NJT. Amtrak people are always so nice. At the Philadelphia station they are so accommodating.

I probably shouls have contacted the appropriate people. I should have wrote down his name and what train I had taken. But I didn't... I was too overwhelmed and in a rush to get where I was going that....I just didn't.

I am new here but I have one... standing somewhere and (unbeknownst to me!) some hearing person is behind me wanting to get by.... eventually (you know where this is going) they shove past, turn and glare or maybe say something. People generally getting annoyed with me because I can't hear.

I am new here but I have one... standing somewhere and (unbeknownst to me!) some hearing person is behind me wanting to get by.... eventually (you know where this is going) they shove past, turn and glare or maybe say something. People generally getting annoyed with me because I can't hear.

Feel it's happened to us deafies time and time and time again...I know it has for me....One lady was so rude, she shoved me aside and said "EXCUSE ME!"....I was tempted to smack her in the mouth...And since this incident, I find myself always looking behind myself whenever I go shopping at the stores....

What's the solution?...definitely I'm not gonna wear a sign on my back saying..."I'm Deaf"...

Feel it's happened to us deafies time and time and time again...I know it has for me....One lady was so rude, she shoved me aside and said "EXCUSE ME!"....I was tempted to smack her in the mouth...And since this incident, I find myself always looking behind myself whenever I go shopping at the stores....

What's the solution?...definitely I'm not gonna wear a sign on my back saying..."I'm Deaf"...
^^^ I've only had one person shove past me. And I went ballistic on the person. It's disrespectful whether it was to a deaf person or not. And I am pretty loud when i'm mad...

^^^ I've only had one person shove past me. And I went ballistic on the person. It's disrespectful whether it was to a deaf person or not. And I am pretty loud when i'm mad...

Good for you....give 'em Hell...and maybe the next time this happens to them they will realize that the person is not simply ignoring them...that they might be deaf and did not hear them...It's like teaching them by example :giggle:

Back