Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

A hearing flight worker started asking my daughter for my and my son's names and birthdates when we were checking. I told her that she needs to speak to me, not to my daughter and then she continued to speak to my daughter instead of me so I just grabbed our stuff and moved to another Southwest employer. The woman asked me if there was a problem and I said "Yes, this woman over there instisted on speaking to my 14 year old daughter like she was the adult instead of me because she didnt want to deal with my need to read lips so I stopped the service right there and moved on to you. Hope you will be more sensitive to my needs." The lady looked at me with a very very shocked look on her face and said, "Yes, Yes, I will.."

I am not accepting that AUDIST crap!

:h5: You go girl!

A hearing flight worker started asking my daughter for my and my son's names and birthdates when we were checking. I told her that she needs to speak to me, not to my daughter and then she continued to speak to my daughter instead of me so I just grabbed our stuff and moved to another Southwest employer. The woman asked me if there was a problem and I said "Yes, this woman over there instisted on speaking to my 14 year old daughter like she was the adult instead of me because she didnt want to deal with my need to read lips so I stopped the service right there and moved on to you. Hope you will be more sensitive to my needs." The lady looked at me with a very very shocked look on her face and said, "Yes, Yes, I will.."

Hell Yeah! That's how you handle things!

I had my hair cut really short which is rare for me since I hide my hearing aids half the time due to gawkers and was feeling at that moment and time proud to be Deaf and was wanting to just be myself when this happened as well. Ironically when I get just a little bit of happiness something has to ruin it. Now, these girls saw my hearing aids. They knew I was Deaf by how I spoke and found that "funny". They were making fun of me plain and simple. The only way to avoid that is to just walk out of the store, or get away from the person doing this to you which is what I did.

That's horrible; so sorry that happened to you. I don't understand why people feel that they have a right to do that. They definitely inheritted the jackass gene.

now, I do understand the gist of your comment towards my post and harbor no ill intent in responding back and did not take it to be totally offensive BUT-this was a very sensitive thing for me to share, I even wrote a song about this on a piano that's been recorded for all to hear called the Deaf song at reverbnation.com/jaspheth. Telling me to chill over it regardless of if it was said in humor or not could have been worded a tad differently as to not evoke negative reactions. Just a pointer or two cause online it's sometimes difficult to weed out the intent behind a post or sometimes what you type just comes out sounding hateful when you don't intend to.

This I'll let slide-but on another note-be mindful of how you come across on boards. Hence, why I type long drawn out posts...short ones just do not get the actual message across-at least not to me.

Jaspeth - my apologies as I really didn't mean to be hurtful or offensive just off-beat, but apparently I was, and thank you!

For future, I sure will take under consideration your pointers toward my choice of words :)

You're very generous person, and wise :)

As for the girls - what a stupid dicks they were, then! :giggle:
to heII with them! :lol:

Good luck sweetie! :wave:

Fuzzy

What's so annoying about hearing people or people with hearing views is the question they ask...

"Why dont you get a CI? You can improve your life."

I ususally reply with.."Why dont you learn ASL. You can improve your life."

:wave:Hello!! I am a hearing person and I am so glad to have stumbled on this thread. I am just new to ASL classes (something I have wanted to do since I was a kid and just finally decided to just do it!) and I think the most surprising thing about learning to sign is realzing there is this whole new, amazing culture that I never new about. It is truly beautiful!

As for your peeves about what hearing people do, all I can say is keep posting them. I hate to admit it, but I can honestly say I think I may have made some of those mistakes if I had not read them on this thread. I can completely understand how frustrating and isolating it would be to be in group of people and to be told, "I'll tell you later," all the time. I will not do that! :) Thanks for the heads up!!

I have never had a deaf friend and, as I said, I am a newbie here. I want to learn and understand, and I don't want to make any mistakes or be insensitive in any way. The, "I'll pray for you," thing really bothers many of you? I tell my friends I will pray for them all the time. Is it always about your deafness or could it be just general, everyday "I'll pray for you!"? Just wondering.

Finally, I just want to say that it seems there is an intense pride with being deaf. I think that is facsinating and wonderful! I love it...I truly do. Sign is a beautiful, animated language and I am thrilled to be learning it. Please continue posting some of the "What not do to's" for us hearing people. I bet most of us who have a true desire to learn about this community do not intend any offense at all and simply want to understand. So, it is helpful to learn what not to do! :) Thanks...have a great day!!

:wave:Hello!! I am a hearing person and I am so glad to have stumbled on this thread. I am just new to ASL classes (something I have wanted to do since I was a kid and just finally decided to just do it!) and I think the most surprising thing about learning to sign is realzing there is this whole new, amazing culture that I never new about. It is truly beautiful!

As for your peeves about what hearing people do, all I can say is keep posting them. I hate to admit it, but I can honestly say I think I may have made some of those mistakes if I had not read them on this thread. I can completely understand how frustrating and isolating it would be to be in group of people and to be told, "I'll tell you later," all the time. I will not do that! :) Thanks for the heads up!!

I have never had a deaf friend and, as I said, I am a newbie here. I want to learn and understand, and I don't want to make any mistakes or be insensitive in any way. The, "I'll pray for you," thing really bothers many of you? I tell my friends I will pray for them all the time. Is it always about your deafness or could it be just general, everyday "I'll pray for you!"? Just wondering.

Finally, I just want to say that it seems there is an intense pride with being deaf. I think that is facsinating and wonderful! I love it...I truly do. Sign is a beautiful, animated language and I am thrilled to be learning it. Please continue posting some of the "What not do to's" for us hearing people. I bet most of us who have a true desire to learn about this community do not intend any offense at all and simply want to understand. So, it is helpful to learn what not to do! :) Thanks...have a great day!!

I'm similar to you in that situation. I recommend after this thread, slog through these threads (they're long so you might want to try and get through them over the course of a few days, I think it took me a week or two to get from start to finish):

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/49278-what-ticks-you-off-most-about-hearies.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/46100-deaf-culture-dos-donts-etc-lets-make-list.html

As for the "I'll pray for you", for a number of people, that can sound condescending regardless of your intent, but even moreso if it's perceived as referring to someone's deafness, since that has implications that there's something to "pray for" (ie viewing it as a negative, rather than neutral or positive - most people wouldn't say "Oh, I'll pray for you" if you told them "I just got an A on my test!").

I was at Office Depot (an office supply store with a full printing department) to pick up a 24x36 color poster I had designed for work. I asked them to mount it onto foamboard, so while I was waiting for that to be done, I went shopping through the store. One of my co-workers was with me. I ended up picking up a bunch of things, and went to pay for them. The cashier was talking to me, but I didn't realize it because I was digging out my bankcard. My co-worker repeated to me what the cashier had said (something about applying for a "rewards card"). The cashier then asked my co-worker "why are you doing that? Just because she's blond she's not necessarily stupid". He got upset with her and explained that I was deaf and he was just repeating to me what I didn't hear. Her response? "Oh. .... She doesn't look deaf." ... :shock:

I'm similar to you in that situation. I recommend after this thread, slog through these threads (they're long so you might want to try and get through them over the course of a few days, I think it took me a week or two to get from start to finish):

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/49278-what-ticks-you-off-most-about-hearies.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/46100-deaf-culture-dos-donts-etc-lets-make-list.html

As for the "I'll pray for you", for a number of people, that can sound condescending regardless of your intent, but even moreso if it's perceived as referring to someone's deafness, since that has implications that there's something to "pray for" (ie viewing it as a negative, rather than neutral or positive - most people wouldn't say "Oh, I'll pray for you" if you told them "I just got an A on my test!").
One of the implications is that your parents must have done some serious sinning to get a deaf child. grrrr.

I was at Office Depot (an office supply store with a full printing department) to pick up a 24x36 color poster I had designed for work. I asked them to mount it onto foamboard, so while I was waiting for that to be done, I went shopping through the store. One of my co-workers was with me. I ended up picking up a bunch of things, and went to pay for them. The cashier was talking to me, but I didn't realize it because I was digging out my bankcard. My co-worker repeated to me what the cashier had said (something about applying for a "rewards card"). The cashier then asked my co-worker "why are you doing that? Just because she's blond she's not necessarily stupid". He got upset with her and explained that I was deaf and he was just repeating to me what I didn't hear. Her response? "Oh. .... She doesn't look deaf." ... :shock:

oi.

One of the implications is that your parents must have done some serious sinning to get a deaf child. grrrr.

Hmmm...I don't think that's what people mean when they say they will pray for you. I'm a Christian and it is a common thing for my friends to say to me when we're on the phone or on FB. It's like saying I love you. "Hey, I'm praying for you!" That's in my circle of friends and my experience. I understand yours may be different. And I can completely understand if someone says, "Oh, you're deaf? Oh, well then I'm going to pray for you!" Okay, that I get is rude and uninformed. :)

I will say, as a person who is learning about the deaf world, I feel a little like a child. I'm not sure what to write in some responses, and what not to write. I question if something I say might be considered offensive, etc. I mean, no one wants to use the wrong fork at the dinner table, right? :P It is a different culture and I'm learning. I hope there's a way for those who are deaf to have patience with people like me who have a genuine interest and curiosity about the deaf community. Someone who wants to expand his or her horizons and embrace something that is new and different. We hearies (is that what you call us?) are like puppies. Our intentions are good but sometimes we just might pee on the floor.:lol:

OMG...wow...that is really bad. I'm so sorry that happened to you. What a rude thing for this person to say. And how, may I ask, does someone 'look deaf'? Ugh...sometimes people are just idiots. It sounds like that person might need some etiquette classes on how to be a decent human being. Wow x 2!

Oh wow...

Was she a blonde?

Funnily enough, she was. Maybe she was thinking "blonde power!!!" :lol:

Funnily enough, she was. Maybe she was thinking "blonde power!!!" :lol:

Yea, the comment about being blonde doesnt make you stupid got me wondering. So, it seemed like she got offended by your coworker and was trying to give you support but ended up offending you. :lol:

Yea, the comment about being blonde doesnt make you stupid got me wondering. So, it seemed like she got offended by your coworker and was trying to give you support but ended up offending you. :lol:

That's exactly what I think too.

Doesn't make it right for you to laugh at someone else. (Two wrongs don't make a right.)

You're no better than the very ones who laughed at you, unfortunately.

Thing is hearing people misunderstand things too....often because they are preoccupied or in a rush. Or the counter teen mumbles as teens are known to do. The people who laughed I am sure didn't realize that she was deaf.......I'm sure they wouldn't have laughed had the known. I don't think they did anything "wrong"

IMO it's that type of bitterness that prevents progress and understanding. I had many of those situations myself. My daughter always thought it was cool she could help out and was grateful I didn't cause a scene. :lol: Working an airline counter is a pretty stressful job.....i wouldn't want it. Personally, I would feel guilty making their day worse just to make the point that they were not helping me the way I wanted to be helped. As long as we got where we were going I wouldn't care. But that's the great thing about the U.S.....we are allowed to do things our way.

Back