Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

I was grocery shopping several years ago when two women, in their early 20s came up to me to tell me I was wearing hearing aids because I was a sinner. They said God had decided to punish me for doing evil things by making me hearing impaired.

At first, I thought it was some kind of a sick joke. I had never met them before, I had not even noticed them - they walked up behind me and tapped my shoulder and started telling me all this. I just stood there and was like :shock:

I told them to leave me alone and stopped shopping ... just left. I did not hang around to find out what "sect" of Christianity they represented ... but it was that day that I realized why Christians get such a bad rap.

"Have you tried hearing aids?"

:roll:

Thanks for that brainstorm.

Oh my god...you and me both....you and me both...

no words can explain it.

ME TOO grrr
guess what those 2 feminst lecturers (freinds) been banging about this and 10 years ago they gave me good marks for good sociology/education essays on deaf languages, social problems and now WTF they saying ' why do you get a what this special operation they have - oh implant' then i say ah cochlear implant nah im too deaf for that, id never be a hearing person, and its is unethical to me AND THEY STILL DONT FUCKING GET IT...

unbelievable

Lets just throw them to the nearby time machine and send them off to where dinosaurs exists.

I was grocery shopping several years ago when two women, in their early 20s came up to me to tell me I was wearing hearing aids because I was a sinner. They said God had decided to punish me for doing evil things by making me hearing impaired.

At first, I thought it was some kind of a sick joke. I had never met them before, I had not even noticed them - they walked up behind me and tapped my shoulder and started telling me all this. I just stood there and was like :shock:

I told them to leave me alone and stopped shopping ... just left. I did not hang around to find out what "sect" of Christianity they represented ... but it was that day that I realized why Christians get such a bad rap.

I am a devout Believer in Christ, yet those kind of people and statements made so often by people who carry the name 'Christian' makes me cringe to my very core. Note: I don't use the term 'Christian' when I refer to myself because it is all due to silly, senseless people like that.

That once someone finds out you are deaf then they have to tell you every person they know that even knows someone that is deaf. Real or fiction. "Like that soap opera have you seen that?" or "my sisters friend has a cousin that has kid" I realize they are just trying to relate and that is better than ignoring me but damn, I am tired of hearing this and just because I am deaf doesn't mean it is all I can talk about!

That once someone finds out you are deaf then they have to tell you every person they know that even knows someone that is deaf. Real or fiction. "Like that soap opera have you seen that?" or "my sisters friend has a cousin that has kid" I realize they are just trying to relate and that is better than ignoring me but damn, I am tired of hearing this and just because I am deaf doesn't mean it is all I can talk about!

Hahaha! I find it hilarious when I tell someone I'm deaf and they would say "oh, I know this deaf guy Bob in Chicago, you know him?"

Hahaha! I find it hilarious when I tell someone I'm deaf and they would say "oh, I know this deaf guy Bob in Chicago, you know him?"
People expects deaf people to know the entire deaf network of the U.S :roll:
Me neither!!

I'm hearing, and I used to work at McDonald's. I am not fluent in ASL, but everytime we had a Deaf customer, I would tell the other workers to send them to my register so we could all avoid confusion, and make ordering a little easier on the customer. One day, I had a customer come up to me and sign their order. I tried to confirm everything, but just to be sure, they wanted to write it down. I got the woman a pad and pen, and she wrote everything down. A shift manager saw us chatting through sign, came over, snatched the paper away, handed her a menu in braile, and spoke really loud and slowly "POINT FOOD YOU WANT PLEASE. HAVE NICE DAY THANK YOU." The customer was really offended and angry, and I had to apologize profusely to her.

Seriously!? Braile menu? She's Deaf, not blind, stupid :roll:

"YOU CAN TALK?? But you are deaf!!?!!"

This came from a person who for years watch me sign with other deaf at the Post Office. One day I decided to strike up a conversation with that person and led of with: "Good evening. How are you." The above is the respond I got back.

One thing I really don't like from hearies is: "You must be really smart to talk!". As if intelligence got do with speech, there plenty dumb people out there can speak and plenty intelligent people out there cannot use speech. Once I told them speech is NOTHING do with intelligence and they refused to believe it.

I have to repeat this daily! You are so-so-so right, speech has nothing to do with intelligence.

B.T.W. (and help me out here) remember the guy in Los Angles "discovered"begging on a street and is said to have the best speech. There is a news video somewhere of this.

One time I went to a church with a guy I was dating at that time, a woman showed up behind us when we were sitting on a pew and started hollering, "Tell God you love Jesus Christ and he will heal you!!" She started preaching to us and shook our heads around as if it'd cure our deafness. I was half speechless, half bursting with laughter. It was so ridiculous.

Never went to a church again after that.

One time I went to a church with a guy I was dating at that time, a woman showed up behind us when we were sitting on a pew and started hollering, "Tell God you love Jesus Christ and he will heal you!!" She started preaching to us and shook our heads around as if it'd cure our deafness. I was half speechless, half bursting with laughter. It was so ridiculous.

Ugh! something similar happened to me - a christian friend of my father wouldn't shut up about those religious pilgrimmages to places where people become miraculously healed and kept trying to convince me I should give it a shot. I was like WTF?

Yea, I have had religious fanatics tell me that if I believed in God or abide his rules, I will be cured. I was a child at the time...what the hell is that kind of message to say to a kid? Stupid people.

I'm so sorry to hear they did that to you. That's one that hasn't happened to me yet. I am a Christian and it bothers me when people just don't use the brain God gave them. Please forgive them because they do not understand us. There are a lot of problems that I see with Christians today, but that one breaks my heart. Again I'm sorry for people like that.

I can't blame you for not going to church again. I have had people pray over me and ask God to heal me so many times it is crazy. Not like this person did to you though. I go to a church that has a Deaf Ministry. I love it and it is amazing to watch how much the hearing respect us there :D. Please don't let people like that turn you away from Christ. They not stupid just not understand and would like something to blame for our deafness and think we all should be the same :eek3:.

I'm so sorry to hear they did that to you. That's one that hasn't happened to me yet. I am a Christian and it bothers me when people just don't use the brain God gave them. Please forgive them because they do not understand us. There are a lot of problems that I see with Christians today, but that one breaks my heart. Again I'm sorry for people like that.

That's pretty common . Are you hearing?

Hahaha...yea, I get that as well. :lol:

Back