Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

Because it is :lol:

You think I never misheard, never was in the same situation, never was laughed at from precisely the same?
'course I was!! many times!

But you can't go thru life feeling sorry for yourself all the time, you need to realize that these things in the end ARE funny :)

Come on, lighten up and learn to laugh at yourself a bit :lol:

Fuzzy

Sometimes, it is hard to do that. It can be hurtful.

Today, I went in for an eye appt and I told the doctor that I am deaf and can read lips. He said..."ohhh that's good."

Uh? What if I couldnt..."oooh no!" ???

I was not too happy with that comment.

Sometimes, it is hard to do that. It can be hurtful.

Shel, I agree. It is hard at times.
But also, sometimes we take things too personally.
We don't realize sometimes stuff is just funny, and people laugh because the situation is truly hilarious, not at us.

Like when due to my deafness I was mispronouncing so many words in the beginning.
Like, I pointed to chair and asked the customer very politely and said
please have a shit (sit).
She couldn't help not to laugh! I was pissed off, of course b/c I didn't knew what's going on, and was sure she was laughing at my accent (in a way she was, but, - you see?)

She apologized profusely for bursting out laughing.
She explained she wasn't laughing at ME, but the resulting mis-pronounce.

And I dare you to tell me it wasn't damn funny! :giggle:

Fuzzy

Shel, I agree. It is hard at times.
But also, sometimes we take things too personally.
We don't realize sometimes stuff is just funny, and people laugh because the situation is truly hilarious, not at us.

Like when due to my deafness I was mispronouncing so many words in the beginning.
Like, I pointed to chair and asked the customer very politely and said
please have a shit (sit).
She couldn't help not to laugh! I was pissed off, of course b/c I didn't knew what's going on, and was sure she was laughing at my accent (in a way she was, but, - you see?)

She apologized profusely for bursting out laughing.
She explained she wasn't laughing at ME, but the resulting mis-pronounce.

And I dare you to tell me it wasn't damn funny! :giggle:

Fuzzy

Yes, your situation is funny but if someone was sharing their experinece that was painful, I wouldnt be quick to laugh until they are ready to laugh at themselves. For some, it takes a lot longer to recover from a hurtful experience. All we can is show empathy.

All we can is show empathy.

Or, sometimes we can show them that "every cloud has a silver lining"
meaning that we don't have to take everything to heart too much :)

Fuzzy

Cliches and platitudes don't really help. It only makes the other person feel invalidated.

Cliches and platitudes don't really help. It only makes the other person feel invalidated.

I wasn't cliche-y or platitude-y, I just used sort of comparison, rather
as I've explained in me next sentence.

As for you, Sallylou, assuming holier-than-thou attitude doesn't help matters either. It's boring, really.

Fuzzy

OK!!!!!!!!!!!! This thread is derailing! She said she didn't meant to be hurtful and can't turn back time. Can we let it go and get back to the point of this thread? I subscribed to this thread to hear "annoying ignorant hearing people stories", not "Damn you, AudioFuzzy!" comments.

Take your lesson elsewhere. May I suggest a private message?

Last edited:
What kind of idiot wants another shopper's cart? He should just go get his own cart.

I hate when someone says how wondergful it is that I can read lips. So patronizing. Any one got a good come back for that?

"Read MY lips" ??:giggle:

What kind of idiot wants another shopper's cart? He should just go get his own cart.

I hate when someone says how wondergful it is that I can read lips. So patronizing. Any one got a good come back for that?

I never figured out why he was fixated on MY cart. Sad thing was that he seemed to be a bitter man with a drinking problem (his breath was strong) and I usually avoid those types. If I want to find them, I head for a local bar during the late morning / early afternoon.

He just wanted to start trouble. Believe me, it would have been no contest. Winds over 20 mph would have spelled doom for him.

I'm hearing, and I had college orientation about a month ago. I'm majoring in Deaf Education, and a lot of the people at orientation (especially in my group/team) were genuinely interested in it, saying stuff like "wow, that's cool!" or "I didn't know they had a major like that" (in an excited/interested voice). I even met someone going for the same major.

...Then I went for scheduling. I had gotten my whole schedule laid out, and I went to get it put in the computer. After getting the classes that had restrictions (full/need permission) put in by a faculty member, I sat down at a row of students to put in the other classes myself. Some girl asked me what my major was, and I said "Deaf education." She misheard me or something, because she said, "Deaf communication? Isn't that an oxymoron?" Everyone in the row laughed. She was corrected by someone, but it wasn't me, because I was trying hard not to punch/loudly cuss her/them out. I know I wouldn't have been wrong for doing it, but I'm sure the college would've said otherwise had I actually done it.

"How do they let you drive on site? Won't you get run over by heavy haulers if you can't hear them coming until it's too late?"

Honestly if you can't see a truck larger than a house then you have a problem.

LMAO!!!

this one is priceless!

i remember when i was younger. My entire family is hearing. my siblings were not even thinking at the time. I ask them "would you mind turn closed caption?" They were like "i thought you were hearing aids." Funny... But i said... "what if their backs were turn i cant read their lips?" well. They got bit aggravated and said. "No i wont turn it on" then i told my mom to tell them to turn it on. Man my siblings were pissed off on first few weeks. But few months later, entire family finally understood why i need it.

Another one was.. My siblings were complaining why i get off so easily from school. They still doesnt know how we deaf go through at mainstream schools. There were notetakers and closed caption on television and interpreters in every class we take. I told them i dont get off easy. I work twice as hard and i had go through interpreter and note takers. WHY YOU TRY THAT i told them and be deaf at same time. They still never understood.

Other one was... At Hearing Church Camp for High Schoolers. I had difficult going through that but i manage through. But there were College student at campus who came to interpret. He was still learning. I was suppose to be with group high schoolers. he stuck with college group while church camp. There were a lot sport activities going on. Many people were yelling at me going wrong way. They were pissed and out of patient with me. But at time i didnt kno there were deaf camps.

Another one was.. My siblings were complaining why i get off so easily from school. They still doesnt know how we deaf go through at mainstream schools. There were notetakers and closed caption on television and interpreters in every class we take. I told them i dont get off easy. I work twice as hard and i had go through interpreter and note takers. WHY YOU TRY THAT i told them and be deaf at same time. They still never understood.

I had the same with my sister. She was telling me how lucky I got it easy by having interpreter to tell me what to do, answers, etc in uni. I told her interpreter JUST translate tutor spoken english into BSL and that all. They do not tell me how to do my work or tell me answers or anything like that. Is still have to work harder than hearing students. I told her that most hearing students got each other to help each other out like if they stuck with something can ask friend to explain when I don't even have that. If I get stuck and if I am lucky have nice tutor I can ask him/her for help or I have to research harder to try get over piece I am stuck on.

I wasn't laughing at the person - I was laughing at the misheard -
"turkey- toasted". It's a big difference, okay?

As for the situation at the Subway (and anywhere else) -it's very simple- you point at your ears and you say right away:

"I am sorry, I am hard of hearing, I can't understand you (or deaf ...)
instead of repeating yourself needlessly. Is that so hard?

If I happen upon stupid employee who asks me a hundred question I simply say in irritated tone:
- whatever, just give me this, please, okay? and I stop replying to any questions after that.

Fuzzy

I had my hair cut really short which is rare for me since I hide my hearing aids half the time due to gawkers and was feeling at that moment and time proud to be Deaf and was wanting to just be myself when this happened as well. Ironically when I get just a little bit of happiness something has to ruin it. Now, these girls saw my hearing aids. They knew I was Deaf by how I spoke and found that "funny". They were making fun of me plain and simple. The only way to avoid that is to just walk out of the store, or get away from the person doing this to you which is what I did.

I wish it were that easy to do, to just point and magically the hearing idiot will understand...:roll:

now, I do understand the gist of your comment towards my post and harbor no ill intent in responding back and did not take it to be totally offensive BUT-this was a very sensitive thing for me to share, I even wrote a song about this on a piano that's been recorded for all to hear called the Deaf song at reverbnation.com/jaspheth. Telling me to chill over it regardless of if it was said in humor or not could have been worded a tad differently as to not evoke negative reactions. Just a pointer or two cause online it's sometimes difficult to weed out the intent behind a post or sometimes what you type just comes out sounding hateful when you don't intend to.

This I'll let slide-but on another note-be mindful of how you come across on boards. Hence, why I type long drawn out posts...short ones just do not get the actual message across-at least not to me. :ty:

a065.gif
a065.gif
a065.gif

hey, don't feel bad. this is really funny. just chiiilll :)

to make you feel better.
when I came to Canada 30 years ago, my English was really 'skimpy', I knew just a few words here and there,
yet I had to work right away to support myself.

One day I had to order a new manicure soaking bowl, a special kind,
but the one the supplier brought to our shop looked different and I didn't like it.
So I showed him the one I have and asked him in my thick accent "do you have balls (bowls) as big as this one?"
:)

I didn't know why he all of sudden got red in the face and everybody else
started laughing?

Fuzzy

Now THAT'S funny!:laugh2:

I had the same with my sister. She was telling me how lucky I got it easy by having interpreter to tell me what to do, answers, etc in uni. I told her interpreter JUST translate tutor spoken english into BSL and that all. They do not tell me how to do my work or tell me answers or anything like that. Is still have to work harder than hearing students. I told her that most hearing students got each other to help each other out like if they stuck with something can ask friend to explain when I don't even have that. If I get stuck and if I am lucky have nice tutor I can ask him/her for help or I have to research harder to try get over piece I am stuck on.

I had tutors for me after school one to one which i can understand better than group setting. I did told my sisters that. They were like no no that is false! lol. But i just look back. I just thought it was hilarous.

I've had a girl tell me that believing in God will cure my deafness.. :lol:

I used to work at a grocery store as a stockclerk. This old lady was trying to ask me about something. I took out my notepad and pen, which was what I used to communicate with the customers, but she kept talking. I pointed to my ear and shook my head, then pointed at the notepad and gestured it for her to write on it. Nope. It turns out that she was actually raising her voice with me - thank goodness my coworker went into my aisle to see what was up, geez. I'm deaf, I still can't hear you if you're yelling at me!

A hearing flight worker started asking my daughter for my and my son's names and birthdates when we were checking. I told her that she needs to speak to me, not to my daughter and then she continued to speak to my daughter instead of me so I just grabbed our stuff and moved to another Southwest employer. The woman asked me if there was a problem and I said "Yes, this woman over there instisted on speaking to my 14 year old daughter like she was the adult instead of me because she didnt want to deal with my need to read lips so I stopped the service right there and moved on to you. Hope you will be more sensitive to my needs." The lady looked at me with a very very shocked look on her face and said, "Yes, Yes, I will.."

I am not accepting that AUDIST crap!

Back