Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

I was at the doctor's for 3 hours this morning. An allergist, so all the allergy testing (back scratch test, etc.) takes a while. First things first. This is a new doctor. She comes in and says "I understand you're deaf. Before we talk about allergy issues, let's talk about getting you a cochlear implant. Have you ever heard of those?"

Oh boy!.....:pissed::rl:.....I probably would have said...."Let's talk about giving you a fat lip"....

I was at the doctor's for 3 hours this morning. An allergist, so all the allergy testing (back scratch test, etc.) takes a while. First things first. This is a new doctor. She comes in and says "I understand you're deaf. Before we talk about allergy issues, let's talk about getting you a cochlear implant. Have you ever heard of those?"

Haha...wow! What was your answer?

I hope you gave a smart aleck answer to that one!:lol:

Wow! Talk about overstepping boundaries!! Unbelievable. There was a great opportunity to school the doc on Deaf Culture. I hope they got the hint.

I remember my client annoy me sometimes hearing I annoy to client seems ignored rude not fair! I remember, otherwise it communication to fair to mention!

"Do you need to get a special sticker to let other people know that you're deaf when you drive?"

"USE YOUR VOICE!"

"Can I touch your cochlear implant?"

"Can.you.hear.me?"

I mean i understand how hearing people are curious about the way we do things but sometimes they're just offensive. :roll:

A few days ago I went to a restaurant with my mom and my sister, and I had my hair pulled back into a messy bun since it was a HOT day outside. And people were staring at me and my cochlear implant because I was signing and stuff. It was really awkward. They were staring at me the minute I came into the restaurant until I left the restaurant. I signed to my mom: "do you notice all these people staring at me?" and my mom nodded her head yes and said that they were just curious. But i get the slow talking mouth moving wide open alot when i don't understand things. And when they do that, i just get mad because i don't like the way they treat me like that.

EDIT: I also get the neverminds alot..especially from my sister and my dad and my friends. It just annoys me so much. If you have something to say, just repeat it but just talk clearly enough for us to understand you...jeesh!

What really made me lose it was when before he walked out the door, he grabbed the taco bell ringer and started swinging it so hard to make loud clanging noises and people turned to look at him. He crossed his eyes and made his lips stretch and said "Babababababa" with flapping his arms like a bird. That made me run out because I couldnt look at the customers and the workers to see their reaction.

This reminds me of the one episode from switched at birth when Daphne and Bay and Emmett goes to find the dad and they arrive at this club and the worker wouldn't let him in and Emmett signs just like random stuff, making the worker awkward until she finally lets him in :)

When asked if I wanted it toasted I kept "hearing" do I want turkey on my sub. Well, I responded as I had heard it and said no, I don't want turkey on my sub. The girls there started laughing. Lest I remind everyone that these were teenagers. If I hadn't been as old as I am one of the two would have been given a black eye...
I left in tears needless to say. It only dawned on me later that they were asking if I wanted my sub toasted.

a065.gif
a065.gif
a065.gif

hey, don't feel bad. this is really funny. just chiiilll :)

to make you feel better.
when I came to Canada 30 years ago, my English was really 'skimpy', I knew just a few words here and there,
yet I had to work right away to support myself.

One day I had to order a new manicure soaking bowl, a special kind,
but the one the supplier brought to our shop looked different and I didn't like it.
So I showed him the one I have and asked him in my thick accent "do you have balls (bowls) as big as this one?"
:)

I didn't know why he all of sudden got red in the face and everybody else
started laughing?

Fuzzy

a065.gif
a065.gif
a065.gif

to make you feel better.
when I came to Canada 30 years ago, my English was really 'skimpy', I knew just a few words here and there,
yet I had to work right away to support myself.

One day I had to order a new manicure soaking bowl, a special kind,
but the one the supplier brought to our shop looked different and I didn't like it.
So I showed him the one I have and asked him in my thick accent "do you have balls (bowls) as big as this one?"
:)

I didn't know why he all of sudden got red in the face and everybody else
started laughing?

Fuzzy

Not quite the same but a few years ago, my *hearing* mother was at a mcdonalds drive thru and she wanted to say "what's on your big and tasty burger?" but instead said "what's on your big and nasty?" My mother is really sweet and proper, so her face became maroon colored!! and it didn't help that the guy at the window was young, hot, and thought it was absloutley hilarious hahaha. heck, i did too!

Not quite the same but a few years ago, my *hearing* mother was at a mcdonalds drive thru and she wanted to say "what's on your big and tasty burger?" but instead said "what's on your big and nasty?" My mother is really sweet and proper, so her face became maroon colored!! and it didn't help that the guy at the window was young, hot, and thought it was absloutley hilarious hahaha. heck, i did too!

:laugh2:

really funny ! your poor mom!
:giggle:

btw I can not pronounce "bowl, bowls" quite correctly to this very day due to my hearing. even if I finally get it, my brain can't remember that,
sort of like a music rhythm. you hear a song and as long as you hear it you know how it goes, but as soon as you want to sing it - you can't!

It's still something between balls or bowels, lolol

I am happy, though, when I won't say neither too clearly, lolololololol

Fuzzy

I went to subway two years ago ( yes this has been burned into my psyche, I have not been to a subway since ) and asked for a regular sub. When asked if I wanted it toasted I kept "hearing" do I want turkey on my sub. Well, I responded as I had heard it and said no, I don't want turkey on my sub. The girls there started laughing. Lest I remind everyone that these were teenagers. If I hadn't been as old as I am one of the two would have been given a black eye...I left in tears needless to say. It only dawned on me later that they were asking if I wanted my sub toasted.

a065.gif
a065.gif
a065.gif

Fuzzy

Am I the only one to find Fuzzy's response unbelievably rude? The poor girl left in tears. Why would you, Fuzzy, find that really funny and tell her to "chiiilll" ? I can't think of the number of times I was in tears over a situation remarkably similar to the Subway incident, and there's absolutely nothing funny about it.

Why would you, Fuzzy, find that really funny and tell her to "chiiilll" ?

Because it is :lol:

You think I never misheard, never was in the same situation, never was laughed at from precisely the same?
'course I was!! many times!

But you can't go thru life feeling sorry for yourself all the time, you need to realize that these things in the end ARE funny :)

Come on, lighten up and learn to laugh at yourself a bit :lol:

Fuzzy

Am I the only one to find Fuzzy's response unbelievably rude? The poor girl left in tears. Why would you, Fuzzy, find that really funny and tell her to "chiiilll" ? I can't think of the number of times I was in tears over a situation remarkably similar to the Subway incident, and there's absolutely nothing funny about it.

That's why I have AudioFuzzy on ignore.

Because it is :lol:

You think I never misheard, never was in the same situation, never was laughed at from precisely the same?
'course I was!! many times!

But you can't go thru life feeling sorry for yourself all the time, you need to realize that these things in the end ARE funny :)

Come on, lighten up and learn to laugh at yourself a bit :lol:

Fuzzy

Doesn't make it right for you to laugh at someone else. (Two wrongs don't make a right.)

You're no better than the very ones who laughed at you, unfortunately.

I wasn't laughing at the person - I was laughing at the misheard -
"turkey- toasted". It's a big difference, okay?

As for the situation at the Subway (and anywhere else) -it's very simple- you point at your ears and you say right away:

"I am sorry, I am hard of hearing, I can't understand you (or deaf ...)

instead of repeating yourself needlessly. Is that so hard?

If I happen upon stupid employee who asks me a hundred question I simply say in irritated tone:
- whatever, just give me this, please, okay? and I stop replying to any questions after that.

Fuzzy

Seems like I need to do the same. He/She is unbelievably rude. And arrogant. And insensitive.

I am the last person who would ever endorse rudeness but I really don't think Fuzzy meant to be rude. I think, in her mind, it's a situation that would hurt at first but later when one looks back on it, they'd laugh. I don't think she meant to hurt anyone by laughing.

I am the last person who would ever endorse rudeness but I really don't think Fuzzy meant to be rude. I think, in her mind, it's a situation that would hurt at first but later when one looks back on it, they'd laugh. I don't think she meant to hurt anyone by laughing.

Thank you! You got it!

It's like when you watch funny videos.
I am sure these people who fell off the bikes, trees, hit their heads, butts etc doesn't feel like laughing at first
but later on they do send the videos to AFV thinking this is funny :)

Fuzzy

Back