Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

You know what I find hilarious and ironic is that due to my hearing loss I have to be careful in how I pronounce my words so that I am clear but I end up having to mispronounce words just so I'm understood.

For example, I was at walmart looking for pumpkin seeds and I asked an associate where they are and he didn't understand what I was talking about. Then I end up saying, "How about punkin seeds?" and he understood me! :roll:

Another annoyance is when I understand EVERY word the person said to me but I still don't understand the meaning and the person thinks something is wrong with my hearing. An example, I was working with an asian co-worker who clearly learned english as a second language. One time he said, "Can you promote the code?" :hmm: I said, "What do you mean by promote it?" I was about to make a wisecrack , "do you want the code to be a general?".

After several back and forth dialogues I finally got that he meant to put the code on the production server.

I know I repeatedly mentioned that I still got annoyed by hearing people who KNEW that I am Deaf. They tend to raise their voice SO freaking LOUD. I kept telling them, that I am NOT a DAMN late Deafened, I was DAMN born Deaf and an ASL user. :roll:
Solution to that? Carry a pen and a notepad with you at all times. Every time a person seems to be shouting, give them the pen and the notepad to write it down if whatever they are trying to say is so darn important.

Here's an annoying deaf person story. My husband's coworker is deaf (one of many). There are tons of deaf where he works and they have permanent interpreters on staff, though his job has nothing to do with deafness. I had met him for the first time. I am very English, for a variety of reasons I haven't been involved with other d/Deaf/HoH for a long long time and I mostly lipread. I could lipread him so well I forgot HE was deaf and I forgot to sign to him. Mea culpa.

The second most hated phrase to me is, "I'll tell you later".

Of course 'later' is often forgotten and not the same.

Solution to that? Carry a pen and a notepad with you at all times. Every time a person seems to be shouting, give them the pen and the notepad to write it down if whatever they are trying to say is so darn important.
If I don't have a pen and notepad with me and a hearing person needs to talk to me, I tell that person to write it down so s/he would have to find a pen and paper which is not my problem.

I bring a pen and a notepad only when I need to talk to a hearing person.

I have 2.... been married 18 yrs and my husband will still turn around in the middle of speaking to me. How long does it take to learn if I can't see you I can't hear you.... and the comment "well, you don't sound deaf"

I have 2.... been married 18 yrs and my husband will still turn around in the middle of speaking to me. How long does it take to learn if I can't see you I can't hear you.... and the comment "well, you don't sound deaf"

I was married for 15 years. He'd turn around and walk away while talking to me, talk to me from another room, try to talk to me with a cig hanging out if his mouth......he never learned.

I'm not sure why there is a connection between Braille and deafness.

I've never been asked if I can feel Braille. If they do, my answer would be, "what is Braille or what is Braille for?" to get them to think about their question.

Same for some people who shout at blind people if they tell them that they're blind and need something. ...As if blind people are deaf.

Yeah, weird.

Too bad I can't chime in. You call them Hearing, I call them Speaking, but they're the same assholes and the issue with them is very similar - they don't like dealing with people who can't use spoken word to communicate. They say "never mind" to you when you don't hear them, they say "never mind" to me when I can't answer back.
Our backgrounds may be very different, but there is some common ground here.

Great thread! I plan to read the whole thing one day! :) For what it's worth I do find hearing people are often much worse in groups then one-on-one. Ok here's mine. I have this one colleague who feels she is progressive by yelling at me when she wants to talk to me! So we are at a meeting everyone is there and she's yelling very slowly "did you hear what I said? So I replied & this wasn't deliberate at all "I have a hard time understanding you sometimes because of your lisp." Dead silence! She's glaring at me. I was later told I was very rude to say that! (shrugs) I didn't think it was rude, still don't but IDK maybe it was!

Great thread! I plan to read the whole thing one day! :) For what it's worth I do find hearing people are often much worse in groups then one-on-one. Ok here's mine. I have this one colleague who feels she is progressive by yelling at me when she wants to talk to me! So we are at a meeting everyone is there and she's yelling very slowly "did you hear what I said? So I replied & this wasn't deliberate at all "I have a hard time understanding you sometimes because of your lisp." Dead silence! She's glaring at me. I was later told I was very rude to say that! (shrugs) I didn't think it was rude, still don't but IDK maybe it was!

Hearing you?

So many clues...

ROFL sorry I am HOH and I find this totally awesome. :lol::giggle:

Yea, I have had religious fanatics tell me that if I believed in God or abide his rules, I will be cured. I was a child at the time...what the hell is that kind of message to say to a kid? Stupid people.

That is true. I looked at bible book verison have deaf and blind. This is testimony in the bible.

The thread is so awesome and interesting topic.. I'm enjoying to read this thread. There is 51 pages. Oh my gosh!

Heck yeah! It's annoying from hearing ignorant. I hate to heard a word never mind, nothing,

The guy tried to spelling slow sign. I said what did you say? He said never mind, I said come on, he said nothing. Ugh! I hate that guy tell me so repeating. It's annoying.

I have an older cousin always said please read lips so repeatly. His grandson has a CI and he wanted him to be speak not sign languages. My mom don't like her nephew because of arrogant and never want to learn sign languages. He is treating me like stupid. I said I'm not stupid!

I made a new thread about left out of hearing family conversation. http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/117725-left-out-family-conversations.html

I am telling you that hearing people think deaf is sinner and darkness, depress, dependence on ASL interpreters. The unknown of deaf culture from hearing people wanted deaf children to be speak and talking like normal hearing person through oral communicate.

The deaf Oral people think Deaf ASL people's English grammars is poorest. They called a Deaf ASL comminuty a Deaf Grammars not Hearing Grammars they said we are suffering with silences. I find it's an offending. :shock:

Last edited:
Had someone ask me the other day if I qualified for "ear transplants". What are those? Never heard of them. She did not know, but thought it was available.

I know this is an old post , never heard of "ear transplants" :eek3:

For first time in a long time I feel in the right place. I am late deaf and I can talk perfectly but I can't hear. I survive by lip reading for the most part, but when I tell people I can talk but I can't hear they look at me like i am naked or something.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

I don't think anyone talks perfectly...just saying. :D I don't speak perfectly in English from my upbringing and I didn't have any known hearing loss at the time.

I got told "What?" as a joke earlier by our waitress when I went out to celebrate with my mom this evening when I misunderstood what she saying on the menu. :roll: I hate when people repeat that joke constantly, thinking's its funny making you repeat what you said...

I have one today!!!

Today at the farmer's market with husband some friend he saw - they were talking. They guy never met me before. I have no HA's so am more or less deaf (yes I am late deaf but deaf same).... Husband tells him "ya, she deaf" and he says.... (are you ready?) "Oh yeah, my great grand father married his 1st cousin and now we have lots of mentally disabled people in the family." I DO READ LIPS ya know! LOL poor guy didn't mean any harm but how offensive can you get? OMG.

Back