Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

Please let me clear one thing up. As HOH Adult Onset I can explain why the fast food restaurants give the "Braile" Menu to deaf people. They are told to do so. (I know I was) It is supposed to be a Deaf and Blind Menu. It is assumed that a deaf person has read the menu that is usually behind the person taking the order and they are simply using the menu given as tool for communication. Example you want to order a Whopper you see on the large menu... you point to the whopper on the paper instead of getting frustrated trying to point to a large board or trying get the cashier to understand which one you want. I'm sure if blind people knew there were pictures they would think the same way... why pictures.
Please don't take that as me being disrespected I just hate for people to continue to think that someone is being mean or stupid when that's not what's happening.

As somebody who is going Deafblind I didn't realise this. Thank you for telling me. I guess we need to ask for a print menu.

I normally ask for a "take out" menu as I can't read the boards.
Point to my order on that or use oral to place my order with the server

I had a guy once was trying to talk to me but I was a bit shy and confused, and my teacher noticed and asked him to come to her. She explained I had a hearing problem and then the next day during gym, he literally said in a bit of a loud voice... "how are you". I mean it's sweet that he tried but that's one of the things I dislike the most.

When people think yelling something out will help you hear what they say.

Just no...

My mother works for the sheriffs office here in Tampa. She told me today she pulled over someone who said they were deaf. She said oh okay, my daughter is deaf and asked them if they signed to communicate. Well, turns out they just said that to get out of having to talk to the police. APPARENTLY this is common! People will pretend to be deaf so the police "don't want to bother getting a terp involved" and let them go! Unbelievable! :mad:
I wonder what happens if a police officer finds out that they are not deaf as they initially said they are. Should they get arrested for giving false info to the authorities? Ask your mom about that.

I wonder what happens if a police officer finds out that they are not deaf as they initially said they are. Should they get arrested for giving false info to the authorities? Ask your mom about that.

Good point! Arrest the bastards!

I once moved out of the way so an old man could pass me by (walking the opposite direction at the mall). He then turned around and enuciated very slowly... "Thank... you... ve... ry... much...". He saw me signing, assumed I was deaf, and thought that talking very slowly would make me understand him.

I appreciate his trying to be understanding of my deafness, but that is a bit of overkill. ;)

i hate it when people walk on wrong side

So you're deaf right? So you can read braille then?

My face turned immediately red-hot when my former co-worker said that to me!

So you're deaf right? So you can read braille then?

My face turned immediately red-hot when my former co-worker said that to me!

That is how Audist the Co worker is just not knowing nothing about deafness and saying the wrong way to express their assumption. :roll:

That is how Audist the Co worker is just not knowing nothing about deafness and saying the wrong way to express their assumption. :roll:

It's not necessarily audist, just rather the person is ignorant about deafness and thinks they're being "funny." Now, I'm not defending the former co-worker but seems to be the person was just being stupid or an ass...or maybe both.

I'm leaning toward straight up stupid. There's a huge difference between being dumb and being ignorant.

I've never had that said to me personally. But my son was telling me about a schoolmate, my had been telling him that I'm deaf, and his friend said "so she reads Braille?" My son got a huge kick out of it, he was "what?! She's not BLIND!!" *moron*

It's not necessarily audist, just rather the person is ignorant about deafness and thinks they're being "funny." Now, I'm not defending the former co-worker but seems to be the person was just being stupid or an ass...or maybe both.

I stand corrected that your former co-worker is really an Audist as he or she made the comments on what he or she thought that a deaf person can feel the Braille. We were never taught how to read with our fingers in Braille at all. So why this co-worker had the nerve to assumed that we can read Braille. :roll:

I'm not sure why there is a connection between Braille and deafness.

I've never been asked if I can feel Braille. If they do, my answer would be, "what is Braille or what is Braille for?" to get them to think about their question.

We just got back from the Christmas Tree lighting in our town. There was a lady who apparently was trying to get around me saying "excuse me" and then she said "OMG I can't believe your being so rude". My niece heard it all and whipped around and got in her face and said "she's deaf you idiot". All I saw was my niece.

I wonder how many times this happens to me when I'm out. Oh well, nothing I can do about it.

We just got back from the Christmas Tree lighting in our town. There was a lady who apparently was trying to get around me saying "excuse me" and then she said "OMG I can't believe your being so rude". My niece heard it all and whipped around and got in her face and said "she's deaf you idiot". All I saw was my niece.

I wonder how many times this happens to me when I'm out. Oh well, nothing I can do about it.

Probably lots. The worst ones are when they hit you or push you.

Probably lots. The worst ones are when they hit you or push you.

That would not go over to well with me. Do we need to wear a friggin sign on our backs that we are deaf? All she had to do was tap my shoulder nicely and I would have moved. I think she was embarrassed after my niece yelled at her. Maybe she will think twice before being mean next time.

Botti.....How cold is it where you are? Snow????

That would not go over to well with me. Do we need to wear a friggin sign on our backs that we are deaf? All she had to do was tap my shoulder nicely and I would have moved. I think she was embarrassed after my niece yelled at her. Maybe she will think twice before being mean next time.

Botti.....How cold is it where you are? Snow????

9 degrees actual temperature, feels like 2 degrees.

It will begin snowing tonight, and tomorrow we should get 4 inches. And winter isn't for two more weeks!

9 degrees actual temperature, feels like 2 degrees.

It will begin snowing tonight, and tomorrow we should get 4 inches. And winter isn't for two more weeks!

And I thought we were cold. OMG 9 degrees is crazy cold. It must be very difficult to go out and run errands in that kind of weather? It would be nice to have a white Christmas. Has never happened here. Stay warm and your doggies too.

And I thought we were cold. OMG 9 degrees is crazy cold. It must be very difficult to go out and run errands in that kind of weather? It would be nice to have a white Christmas. Has never happened here. Stay warm and your doggies too.

Thanks. We went out to lunch this morning, and then the temperature was -1.

I miss El Paso at times like this!

Cold doesn't make so much difference for getting around in my opinion. It is the slick roads that come with snow and ice!!! For a few years now, since I am not a "snow bird" that goes south for the winter, I try to hibernate when we get slick roads.

Last edited:
Back