Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

If she knows of your situation, she should not have burst out like that. Even more so, because you asked if anyone was bothered by it.

I know, and she's supposed to be a friend too...I'm really bothered by it because she understands my struggle with this and yet she embarrassed me in front of everyone. :( But, I'll just talk to her to clear the air. Hadn't had the chance to do that yet.

I know, and she's supposed to be a friend too...I'm really bothered by it because she understands my struggle with this and yet she embarrassed me in front of everyone. :( But, I'll just talk to her to clear the air. Hadn't had the chance to do that yet.

I hope that in the long run this incident will actually help. That is if she realizes the similarly between her frustration at not understanding sign and what you go through not understanding a voiced conversation.

Please let us know how I goes. I am wishing the best for you.

I think this is just a petty person who is jealous of you. She sounds like a middle school kid... Who doesn't deserve someone as awesome as you ;)
Keep us updated! Hang in there!

I hope that in the long run this incident will actually help. That is if she realizes the similarly between her frustration at not understanding sign and what you go through not understanding a voiced conversation.

Thank you! I do understand most spoken language (my ears are 'fine'), I have issues processing auditory information, voices, high pitched sound, and most voices in noise, also with tinnitus I tend to dip in and out of my hearing (this is all amplified by background noise) and it was very noisy at the time. Needless to say, I feel that Deafness goes beyond one's ability to hear, but also how and what they perceive while they're hearing. That's why APD is also known as Functionally Hard of Hearing/ HoH Brain (see my DP :D) or Word Deaf.
:ty: for your support! :)

I think this is just a petty person who is jealous of you. She sounds like a middle school kid... Who doesn't deserve someone as awesome as you ;)
Keep us updated! Hang in there!

Thanks Oink! I'm still planning on talking to her. I just hope that she understands. I'm sure she will.

Last edited:
Thanks Oink! She's actually an adult, but I'm still planning on talking to her. I just hope that she understands. I'm sure she will.

I meant she acts like a middle school kid.
Sorry for the misunderstanding! Lol.
Welcome-O!

Gah. Do you have any idea how prejudiced that sounds? People that can hear are not one big group that are the same, dead are not one big group that are the same. Lumping people all together like that is bigotry. That is wrong, that is awful. People are individuals, they are all different and they all think, feel and act differently. Oh and it's your needs that need to be met, not theirs, they're not the ones with the difficulty communicating.

I mean seriously, think about what you're saying. Just sub out a different group of people and think about how that sounds......the black people, the white people, the Indian people, the Muslim people, The fat people, the skinny people.

You just don't know what it is like to be forced to go the oral way and to be told that we are dumb and that we have to follow their ways better than our ways as we had struggled for so many years. There is no excuse for them to be so audists and not learning about our deafness and our Deaf Culture. You are just like the hearing every time you talk like them now that you lose your hearing loss. Don't tell me that it is wrong for me to blame them for just because I am Deaf and Native. I have always enjoy being in the Deaf community but sometimes the hearing society has been trying to steer us out of our enjoyment in signing and needing a interpreters plus getting a videophone for the workplace. So is the stigma of being Native in their society. White people have destroyed us for very long time over 500 years of oppression. As for the diverse of many people who are d/Deaf like me, they also have struggled exactly what we have gone through with the hearing society in different countries. We are not alone. But you don't understand and probably never will. :(

You just don't know what it is like to be forced to go the oral way and to be told that we are dumb and that we have to follow their ways better than our ways as we had struggled for so many years.
You are kind of being a bigot now.

Bigot ~ : a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

You are saying things about an entire group of people. 'They' are not all against the deaf community.

I will leave it at that.

Since I am jus HoH, I know I don't fit in this topic, but I remember in ASL 1 when we were covering deaf culture and she told us it was rude to stare at people signing. I decided to run an experiment to see how it felt, so in a busy area, I started signing to my brother who doesn't know a bit of ASL, but there were so many people just staring at me. It was an interesting way of getting a POV outside my own.

Since I am jus HoH, I know I don't fit in this topic, but I remember in ASL 1 when we were covering deaf culture and she told us it was rude to stare at people signing. I decided to run an experiment to see how it felt, so in a busy area, I started signing to my brother who doesn't know a bit of ASL, but there were so many people just staring at me. It was an interesting way of getting a POV outside my own.
Hearing adults don't usually stare at me everywhere I go but hearing children do which I think is cute. The children don't know that it's impolite to stare but that's ok because they are just little kids.

You are kind of being a bigot now.

Bigot ~ : a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

You are saying things about an entire group of people. 'They' are not all against the deaf community.

I will leave it at that.
Did you read the thread title, or understand it's purpose?

Did you read the thread title, or understand it's purpose?

Ooooo I'm answering!!! I posted in here like a year ago, and I prefaced my post with not all hearing people are asshats.....or something to that effect.

I'd say there is a difference in sharing stories of specific instances and encounters and laying a huge blanket of "the hearing people" blah blah blah all of them huh? ALL of the hearing people want to oppress the deaf and not let them sign etc etc etc, or whatever it is she says in every single post ever.

It makes me think of the thread Naisho started about obsession with deafness and whether its crazy. I don't know about crazy but benonang is for sure a one trick pony.

Last edited:
Hearing adults don't usually stare at me everywhere I go but hearing children do which I think is cute. The children don't know that it's impolite to stare but that's ok because they are just little kids.

Do you live in a more urban area? I live out in the middle of nowhere in Appalachia. If not, then maybe I should run it again in various places as if testing with the scientific method?

Do you live in a more urban area? I live out in the middle of nowhere in Appalachia. If not, then maybe I should run it again in various places as if testing with the scientific method?
Yeah, I live in a city. Alot of hearing people never saw ASL before. I am sure that they notice it but move on rather than STARE. For example, you go to a restaurant to eat in with deaf friends, do the patrons stare at all of you while their food gets cold or just notice at you for a few sec and then keep eating?

Ooooo I'm answering!!! I posted in here like a year ago, and I prefaced my post with not all hearing people are asshats.....or something to that effect.

I'd say there is a difference in sharing stories of specific instances and encounters and laying a huge blanket of "the hearing people" blah blah blah all of them huh? ALL of the hearing people want to oppress the deaf and not let them sign etc etc etc, or whatever it is she says in every single post ever.

It makes me think of the thread Naisho started about obsession with deafness and whether its crazy. I don't know about crazy but benonang is for sure a one trick pony.

She is a product of her time and place, just as you are a product of all the experiences that shaped you.

You ever talk to someone that you've had to ask them over and over and over what and play a big guessing game because you can't read their lips? Because they just suck at forming words?

I was at the gym, doing chin ups and dips, so for one thing she's interupting my workout to ask me a question, which is a little annoying. But she smiled the whole time and she talked through her teeth, like her teeth stayed closed the whole time, how do you talk like that? I soooo badly wanted to tell her what she was doing, but I didn't want to make her embarrassed or self conscious, so the guessing game. She kept saying something and then point to some stuff on this counter, a water bottle, a towel and her phone. So obviously she's saying something about one of the items over there. After much much much guessing, I finally figured out that she was asking if the music coming out of her smart phone was bothering me.

WHAT??!! Woman!! I can't even hear you talking to me!!! at what point through doing all of this do you think that she might have figured out....hey this girl can't hear me, I bet she can't hear my music maybe I can stop asking her about it :laugh2:

Oh lord. She was an odd one though, then she interupted me again why to know "how you doing that?" (the chin ups and dips) well darling.....because I'm strong, and I'm little, that helps. Do you need a physics lesson too? you weigh probably 150, I weigh 103-5..... I'm lighter.....not as much weight to be trying to pull up.......made me wish I just didn't wear my aids, then I could have just signed that I was deaf, she wouldn't know what it meant but she'd recognize that it was sign language and go away and leave me to my workout.

Back