Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

Thing is hearing people misunderstand things too....often because they are preoccupied or in a rush. Or the counter teen mumbles as teens are known to do. The people who laughed I am sure didn't realize that she was deaf.......I'm sure they wouldn't have laughed had the known. I don't think they did anything "wrong"

I wasn't referring to the teens who laughed at her. I was referring to AudioFuzzy, a deaf poster here, who laughed at Jaspeth. It's in his/her response to Jaspeth's post.

Last edited:
I wasn't referring to the teens who laughed at her. I was referring to AudioFuzzy, a deaf poster here, who laughed at her. It's in his/her post.

Stop trolling me.

Huh? I'm not trolling ya..... You are one of the one's I like :lol: Perhaps we just disagree alot today

Oh and my apologies...I just reread your comment.

And, oh, being 40 myself, I have quite a few friends who have late-teenaged kids or even very early 20's who don't go around laughing at people. They're polite and respectful.

Huh? I'm not trolling ya..... You are one of the one's I like :lol: Perhaps we just disagree alot today

Oh and my apologies...I just reread your comment.

I figured that, but you seemed to be on my case today :)

Sometimes I'll take out my hearing aids to be alone. To enjoy the silence more or less. Its also when I wish not to use my voice. Today I did that at work and do from time to time with no issues because generally no one speaks to me. There's a new guy there who doesn't know me well enough to understand that when my hearing aids are out it means dont' talk to me. PERIOD. I told him today when he wanted to talk about his blasted hair that I didn't have my hearing aids in and could not hear him. What does he do? Even after I had previously educated him on how to communicate with me and how not to communicate? He breaks several of the rules I laid down. #1-I cannot hear you, don't bother. #2) yeah, I can read lips but um, I only pick up parts of speech so why are you reciting an entire paragraph to my face? Do you not get it? #3) hm, I read body language second to none and you are faking it, the conversation, pretending to care, pretending to want to talk when you're just joshing me around and making shit up just to get a laugh. Think I didn't notice?

that's my hearie complaint today. being taken for a fool-was rather amusing today not only did that happen but this guy also threw away everything I taught him, which at first he seemed to be rather open minded but I learned rather quickly that wasn't the case, months ago of course.

people like this are not worth my time speaking to. Why should I waste my energy to speak? To remain cordial I faked it just right back so, if he wants to think me a fool...
well, he got what he wanted. Cynical it may sound but if that's what someone wants I'll give it to them and when I get tired of it...then the real me comes out when they least expect it and then they shut up and walk away embarrassed or worried that they'll get in trouble when the realize I played them like a card same as they were doing me. It's my way of opening up a mind or two that is closed or just plain teaching the person a lesson not to judge a book by it's cover.

I'll be happy the day comes I won't have to do this just to get people to understand...you know, I'm Deaf. Whats so difficult to understand about that?
I'm just like you. I'm just Deaf. Think your smart enough to waltz by me without being read like a book front to cover? why the hearing think they hide what their body says is beyond me. You can't. It's annoying when someone tries. So go ahead. You cannot fake body language-and when you try I'll just do the same right back to you to give you a taste of what it feels like to be conned :) only to find out that hm, I misjudged, she's not as socially inept as she appears to be.

::shakes head:: I've had to deal with this for years. it's getting old guys. anyone else in the same boat?

IMO it's that type of bitterness that prevents progress and understanding. I had many of those situations myself. My daughter always thought it was cool she could help out and was grateful I didn't cause a scene. :lol: Working an airline counter is a pretty stressful job.....i wouldn't want it. Personally, I would feel guilty making their day worse just to make the point that they were not helping me the way I wanted to be helped. As long as we got where we were going I wouldn't care. But that's the great thing about the U.S.....we are allowed to do things our way.

That's one of the things a responsible adult does. They don't use their children as interpreters.

It builds resentment and makes the child feel insecure.

I don't know what's wrong with you right now, but you are picking really stupid fights.

Oh wow...Was she a blonde?

Thats what I thought...geez! the nerve of some people!

regardless of hair color the remark "oh, she doesn't look Deaf" should have not made it's way out of that persons mouth.
what are we supposed to look like? Retards? :shock::laugh2:

That's one of the things a responsible adult does. They don't use their children as interpreters.

It builds resentment and makes the child feel insecure.

I don't know what's wrong with you right now, but you are picking really stupid fights.

My daughter will at times repeat something a person says if I am not able to clearly read their lips. It's at these times when the person is not willing to work with me using either pen and paper or the notepad on my netbook.

I was at Office Depot (an office supply store with a full printing department) to pick up a 24x36 color poster I had designed for work. I asked them to mount it onto foamboard, so while I was waiting for that to be done, I went shopping through the store. One of my co-workers was with me. I ended up picking up a bunch of things, and went to pay for them. The cashier was talking to me, but I didn't realize it because I was digging out my bankcard. My co-worker repeated to me what the cashier had said (something about applying for a "rewards card"). The cashier then asked my co-worker "why are you doing that? Just because she's blond she's not necessarily stupid". He got upset with her and explained that I was deaf and he was just repeating to me what I didn't hear. Her response? "Oh. .... She doesn't look deaf." ... :shock:

You should have replied, "Thank you. You don't look stupid, either."

IMO it's that type of bitterness that prevents progress and understanding. I had many of those situations myself. My daughter always thought it was cool she could help out and was grateful I didn't cause a scene. :lol: Working an airline counter is a pretty stressful job.....i wouldn't want it. Personally, I would feel guilty making their day worse just to make the point that they were not helping me the way I wanted to be helped. As long as we got where we were going I wouldn't care. But that's the great thing about the U.S.....we are allowed to do things our way.

Actually, it is that type of response that makes progress in getting rid of blantant audism.

But then, there is the covert audism and the unrecognized audism that still has to be pointed out to make any progress.:cool2:

And, oh, being 40 myself, I have quite a few friends who have late-teenaged kids or even very early 20's who don't go around laughing at people. They're polite and respectful.

Exactly. Their parents taught them empathy and respect. Seems to be in short supply these days.

A hearing flight worker started asking my daughter for my and my son's names and birthdates when we were checking. I told her that she needs to speak to me, not to my daughter and then she continued to speak to my daughter instead of me so I just grabbed our stuff and moved to another Southwest employer. The woman asked me if there was a problem and I said "Yes, this woman over there instisted on speaking to my 14 year old daughter like she was the adult instead of me because she didnt want to deal with my need to read lips so I stopped the service right there and moved on to you. Hope you will be more sensitive to my needs." The lady looked at me with a very very shocked look on her face and said, "Yes, Yes, I will.."

I am not accepting that AUDIST crap!

Wish I could do that without pissing people off. Everytime I do-the room starts to boil no matter how nice I am to the person. :hmm: :D

Wish I could do that without pissing people off. Everytime I do-the room starts to boil no matter how nice I am to the person. :hmm: :D

Just pay attention to the way Shel does it. There's a knack to it.

Wirelessly posted

Jaspheth said:
Sometimes I'll take out my hearing aids to be alone. To enjoy the silence more or less. Its also when I wish not to use my voice. Today I did that at work and do from time to time with no issues because generally no one speaks to me. There's a new guy there who doesn't know me well enough to understand that when my hearing aids are out it means dont' talk to me. PERIOD. I told him today when he wanted to talk about his blasted hair that I didn't have my hearing aids in and could not hear him. What does he do? Even after I had previously educated him on how to communicate with me and how not to communicate? He breaks several of the rules I laid down. #1-I cannot hear you, don't bother. #2) yeah, I can read lips but um, I only pick up parts of speech so why are you reciting an entire paragraph to my face? Do you not get it? #3) hm, I read body language second to none and you are faking it, the conversation, pretending to care, pretending to want to talk when you're just joshing me around and making shit up just to get a laugh. Think I didn't notice?

that's my hearie complaint today. being taken for a fool-was rather amusing today not only did that happen but this guy also threw away everything I taught him, which at first he seemed to be rather open minded but I learned rather quickly that wasn't the case, months ago of course.

people like this are not worth my time speaking to. Why should I waste my energy to speak? To remain cordial I faked it just right back so, if he wants to think me a fool...
well, he got what he wanted. Cynical it may sound but if that's what someone wants I'll give it to them and when I get tired of it...then the real me comes out when they least expect it and then they shut up and walk away embarrassed or worried that they'll get in trouble when the realize I played them like a card same as they were doing me. It's my way of opening up a mind or two that is closed or just plain teaching the person a lesson not to judge a book by it's cover.

I'll be happy the day comes I won't have to do this just to get people to understand...you know, I'm Deaf. Whats so difficult to understand about that?
I'm just like you. I'm just Deaf. Think your smart enough to waltz by me without being read like a book front to cover? why the hearing think they hide what their body says is beyond me. You can't. It's annoying when someone tries. So go ahead. You cannot fake body language-and when you try I'll just do the same right back to you to give you a taste of what it feels like to be conned :) only to find out that hm, I misjudged, she's not as socially inept as she appears to be.

::shakes head:: I've had to deal with this for years. it's getting old guys. anyone else in the same boat?

:gpost: - no....great post.

I can't stand it when hearing people talk louder to deaf people. I am a hearing person and I just roll my eyes at other hearing people who yell to my bf. We were at Walmart the other day and this employee asked us if we needed any help...I said I didn't, but I signed to my bf if he wanted to ask her anything. He was looking for a phone case. As soon as she saw me sign she goes "Oh. Oh! Well, oh my." like she just saw something like a UFO. Then she would touch my bf on the shoulder, look him dead in the eyes, and talk really loud and really slow. I had to ask her to stop doing that and that I would interpret if he needed. She then asked why he had a cell phone if he is deaf. o.O I didn't think that was any of her darn business and I told her as such though in a nicer fashion. *Sigh*. Those people make all hearing people look bad.

You should have replied, "Thank you. You don't look stupid, either."

hmmmmm,
I think asking "oh, and how does a deaf person look like" would be more 'stump -ing' question yet less confrontational,
and point out the person stupidity pretty well, lolol.

Fuzzy

I was being, as you call it, 'played' a number of times by both gender dicks who tought being deaf or HoH = stupid,
throghout my life, but the older I got the less I cared.

WHY would I waste my nerves and time over idiots whose brain managed
to develop hardly over the level of chickenshit? :giggle:

It would be like getting upset over what chickenshit called in my direction
while on his way out falling down, or did something in front of me.
Whooooo cares!!??!! chickenshit whoooo??? pfftt!! hey, here's your friend birdie :)

I have better things to do, or know people whose opinion truly
matter :wave:

Fuzzy

hmmmmm,
I think asking "oh, and how does a deaf person look like" would be more 'stump -ing' question yet less confrontational,
and point out the person stupidity pretty well, lolol.

Fuzzy

That would be "what does a deaf person look like?" The intent is to make the other person look stupid, not yourself.:laugh2:

I was being, as you call it, 'played' a number of times by both gender dicks who tought being deaf or HoH = stupid,
throghout my life, but the older I got the less I cared.

WHY would I waste my nerves and time over idiots whose brain managed
to develop hardly over the level of chickenshit? :giggle:

It would be like getting upset over what chickenshit called in my direction
while on his way out falling down, or did something in front of me.
Whooooo cares!!??!! chickenshit whoooo??? pfftt!! hey, here's your friend birdie :)

I have better things to do, or know people whose opinion truly
matter :wave:

Fuzzy

You seriously need to revise that post. The syntax, grammar, and word usage make it unreadable.

I am not deaf nor hard of hearing (at least not officially). I am still considered a hearing person. All my life when i've asked people to repeat themselves they say nevermind. That automatically pisses me off.
Even lately with things getting tougher for me. I ask people to repeat themselves and they get so angry at me. It would give me such bad anxiety that I lost my previous job because of it. It just really sucks and I wish people would understand.

Back