Julieta123

Reaction score
Hello,
How are you?
I have a question for you. When you go to different shops, airports, stations, every announcement is made on microphone.
So my question for you is: How do you manage this all?
Have you had any bad experiences until now?Could you please share them with us? Have you ever thought of something that could help, as in a new technology or service?
I apologize if my questions come out as ignorant at some point. I'm really interested in your replies!
Best!

Stop at a service desk, explain, and request text-messages on your cell-phone. No, my lifestyle does not require it, but that is what I would do, if travelling though an airport, for example.

Whenever I fly or etc, I just go up to gate desk and tell them that I am deaf and that I need to be told when it's time. Usually they just point to area where people first get on plane before having others board based on their seat. Usually the area is right in front of door and I just walk in when they start loading the plane and get my seat. I just sit there and watch people board and secretly am enjoying the fact I had space to myself for a moment to put stuff away and etc without dealing with crowds. ;)

Whenever I fly or etc, I just go up to gate desk and tell them that I am deaf and that I need to be told when it's time. Usually they just point to area where people first get on plane before having others board based on their seat. Usually the area is right in front of door and I just walk in when they start loading the plane and get my seat. I just sit there and watch people board and secretly am enjoying the fact I had space to myself for a moment to put stuff away and etc without dealing with crowds. ;)
Same for me - just tell the gate agent then am usually told to preboard with the other preboarders

Nice privilege. Avoid the confusion of chatter when boarding. Will clearly opt-in when the time comes.

Ive travelled a lot. I watch for cues, motions, signs, noticeboards. I always arrive at boarding gate well in advance when possible. Sit in clear view of the airport boarding gate staff, if particually anxious I will notify them that i need to be told in person, but that is rarely necessary.

Text notification is a brilliant idea. Thumbs up on that one

Like Secretblend and Loveblue's posts... I approach the gate agent that I can't hear and they will tell me the time to preboard (the preboard time will show on your boarding pass). Once the preboard time approaches, I stand near the gate and the agent will signal "come" so I give them the boarding pass to scan then I'm on my way in the plane.

I almost never had this problem when I travel, only once or twice.. they would make me wait with other people. So it seems things changed now and is standard procedure to preboard all passengers with disabilities per ADA. Southwest appears to be more deaf friendly with passengers.

Same with me- I let the gate attendants know (if I remember to). I tend to people watch and observe when it's time.

Same thing for places where you have to wait for your order (like Arby's or Moochie's...)- If I know or saw a person in front of me- I watch them- once they get their order I know mine is coming up (not always foolproof). Usually though I just watch the counter and they'll wave.

Interestingly last night I went to Moochie's (here in SLC) and it seemed that the woman at the register could NOT hear or understand me (shocking since my speech is very good :/) so I ended up writing my order as I was getting a little frustrated. She was fine with it...and wrote back when I mentioned I was from near Philly (Moochie's 'hook' is that their Philly cheeseteak is authentic- one of the owners is originally from Philly. And it was Yum Yum Yum).

More and more places are using visual means - like # or next stop (I wish UTA would do that one- their buses are a little old) or flashing lights. Text messages I utilize wherever I can!

Slightly off topic but what I like is that more and more of the places around here where you order at the register have registers with screens where you can read what they understood you to have ordered. I think it probably helps even those that can hear normally and makes a real big difference for those of us that don't hear that well.

I do not use trains much, I have never had to use an airport but I have been to a shopping mall /centre and they have tannoy systems that sound so distorted. Sometimes even 'hearing' people struggle to understand some of the announcements.
Shops people talk so fast that I have to ask them what the announcements are.
I don't like to ask every announcement but sometimes I am curious if these announcements effect me in any way.
I mostly watch fellow shoppers and if they are calm and not moving any different I just continue as I was.

Hi guys! I'm working on a system that would make airports more accessible for the DHH community. I read all your responses here and I'm really glad that you don't struggle much with navigating your ways around the airports. However, it still is a bit of additional fuss that you have to go through when you travel (with asking the staff, etc), isn't it? You are probably used to it by now, but I feel like your community (and any community basically!) deserves equal simplicity in managing your airport stuff. Would you be happy if there was a tool that would make it easier to navigate your travels or do you feel like it's unnecessary and you're fine as it is?

Back