Animal Rescuers?

Jens_Cats

Reaction score
I did a search of this sub forum before I started this post, and nothing came up.

I just wanted to start a thread for rescuers to talk about what they do, share information/petitions/etc.

I have 8 cats (well, 7--one belongs to my boyfriend) because my ex and I tried to be rescuers, but we learned that we were not good at the "rehoming" part. So I don't take animals in any more. Now, I help out by sharing information, going and helping out "on the ground" with rescues, donating money, items, and my art, etc. I do a lot of crossposting on Facebook and Google+ when there's a story that needs to be spread around, etc.

I don't volunteer at my local shelter, mainly because with a full time job, elderly parents, 8 cats, and my business, I just don't have time, but also because it is not a No Kill shelter. I just can't be in a kill environment--I don't have the emotional makeup, and I feel that we as a society can do better by animals.

So that's me. Just wondered what kind of rescue work--if any--other people do.

Jen M.

I rescue dogs. Or at least I give homes to shelter dogs . I don't rehome them either.

I prefer deaf dogs. At the moment I have a deaf Pekingese, and a Shih Tzu.

My Poodle died at the end of August.

Due to health reasons, I can't keep any more than two at the moment.

Hi Jen and Botti, I think you both already know what I do in general.

I cross-post things on and from my breeder's forum and also the dog training and health/publishing site called Dogwise.

The shelter I do volunteer <behavior modification program> at is a low-euth rate shelter where we take in and re-home as many dogs and cats deemed "safe" for public as possible - most of whom aren't trainers and aren't going to take a lot of extra time learning animal handling and advanced behavior.
It does make it hard when we lose my heart breeds, the Rotties and the Bullies; then it also is so very joyful when they go home and when I see them in class, as I did today - two great Pitties in the Basic class I assist in. One young girl who had previously been adopted last year and returned and who we all worked with a lot for many months; and a big shy blue boy who is very sweet but has a lot of fears.

I started working with dogs, cats and a variety of animals as a child - walking dogs/dog sitting, volunteering at shelters and with wildlife rehab; involved in an urban "horseless horse lover's club" for kids who loved horses but didn't personally have one. I would walk around the block in my neighborhood simply looking for dogs in yards to spend time with and I had some intuitive knowledge then of who to approach and who not to.
I took riding lessons as a young child and in high school and went to view public dog training classes while at my university, though I had no dog. I also volunteered at a shelter while in college.

I also spent time volunteering for groomer and assisted in vet offices in high school, including assisting in a couple of basic/standard operations at small, one-vet practice owned by an older man. Not that that was the best idea probably from a medical standpoint but I was fascinated.
I have worked with deaf and deaf-blind dogs.

I have rescue homeless cats and dogs. I rescue two cats that where living in the field behind my home. The cats where living on trash from our trash bags. One cat when looking for the trash bags and it was the wrong day and the poor cat walked away with his head hanging down. I only had dog food and feed that to cat until I could buy cat food . I was able to bring both cats to a no kill cat shelter and both cats now have a good home. I also rescued dogs that where being abused .A friend and I took in abused dogs feed them and clean them up and found homes for them. One dog adopted us ! We had our back door open and a little black mutt walked into our kitchen and walked around the room and found the most comfortable corner and plop herself down then looked up at us as if she had lived there all her life! We kept her and named her Mama Bear, she was the sweetest little dog! After this happen more dog just started coming to our house! We think Mama Bear put the words out to homeless dogs where to go!!

I rescue dogs. Or at least I give homes to shelter dogs . I don't rehome them either.

I prefer deaf dogs. At the moment I have a deaf Pekingese, and a Shih Tzu.

My Poodle died at the end of August.

Due to health reasons, I can't keep any more than two at the moment.

I'm sorry you lost a dog. :(

We all do what we can. Every little bit helps.

Jen M.

I have rescue homeless cats and dogs. I rescue two cats that where living in the field behind my home. The cats where living on trash from our trash bags. One cat when looking for the trash bags and it was the wrong day and the poor cat walked away with his head hanging down. I only had dog food and feed that to cat until I could buy cat food . I was able to bring both cats to a no kill cat shelter and both cats now have a good home. I also rescued dogs that where being abused .A friend and I took in abused dogs feed them and clean them up and found homes for them. One dog adopted us ! We had our back door open and a little black mutt walked into our kitchen and walked around the room and found the most comfortable corner and plop herself down then looked up at us as if she had lived there all her life! We kept her and named her Mama Bear, she was the sweetest little dog! After this happen more dog just started coming to our house! We think Mama Bear put the words out to homeless dogs where to go!!

What a cool story! We had a cat that adopted us like that, too. My brother and I were going out to play/dork around/whatever one day, and this tabby just RUNS in the front door! It was crazy, but we kept her. Her name was KC (Kitty Cat--creative, huh?) My mom eventually had to give her up due to a move, but she lived out her life with my mom's best friend, so it worked out.

It's neat when they adopt you. :)

Jen M.

Dogmom, I used to ride as a teen, too. I miss it! Horses are amazing! I never owned my own horse, but I bonded with three or four of the ones I rode over the years. I still think of them often.

When I got to be a certain age, due to finances, I had to choose between continuing to ride and going to the beach and, well, being a teen girl who was really into my looks and into boys, lets just say I did not make what I feel now was the better decision. ;)

If I can afford it, I'll go back to it one day. :)

Jen M.

At one time we had three large black dogs- 110 pounds, 65 pounds, and around 45 pounds pounds. All shelter dogs. Our second daughter used to work at an animal shelter and she said black dogs were the most likely to be put down, nobody wanted them (their fur shows up too much on the furniture. Same for black cats)

At various times we also cared for more kittens and cats than I count (and I am very allergic to cats)
a ferret
baby birds
a rabbit
a turtle
and various other critters.
One baby bird died, the turtle died after two years, the barn cats have a short life span in our area anyway, and the other animals survived and were freed, passed on to more professional rehab people.

When she got married she took her 110 pound dog with her and quit her job.
The middle dog died of old age.
We still have the 'little' dog.

We also have a goat and a horse. The horse is from an elderly friend who could not care for his horses any more. The goat was going to be dinner but now he's a companion animal for the horse.

We often feed strays...cats & dogs. Just the other day, out by the river, there was a beautiful, fluffy cat that was so skinnnnnny!...Seems it was trying to find food by the river bank, so we took a paper plate along with cat food out there....If we see it again, we'll do the same.

And several years ago, there was some organization here in Jax, that trapped Ferrel cats, neutured and spayed them and took them back where they were found, to combat the cat population. Dunno if it's still being done today.....I hope so, tho'.....

What a cool story! We had a cat that adopted us like that, too. My brother and I were going out to play/dork around/whatever one day, and this tabby just RUNS in the front door! It was crazy, but we kept her. Her name was KC (Kitty Cat--creative, huh?) My mom eventually had to give her up due to a move, but she lived out her life with my mom's best friend, so it worked out.

It's neat when they adopt you. :)

Jen M.

Yeah, I will never forget Mama Bear ! After she walked into our life another dog came to house looking for a home and we took her in too! My friend and I always joked about calling Betty White to see if she would help us care for homeless dogs. My friend and I also recused an Irish Setter we found, it had a leg that been broken but was not taken to the vet so the leg did not heal right. We found an Irish Setter recuse shelter and they took the dog. We where not able to care for 3 homeless dogs in our small apartment.

The wildest story is about a dog I meet at friend's house in Northern Calf. My friend was taken care of a friend Russian Wolfhound. I meet the dog only one time and I never meet the dog owner. I moved back to Berkeley and was living with my friend and her kids and my baby. I opened the door one day and there was the Russian Wolfhound I meet in Northern Calif.! I could not believe it as it was about 250 miles trip from the mountains to my house.
I had no idea how the dog found me. Two days later my friend from the mountains came to visit my friend and me and he almost fell over when he saw his friend's dog at our house! We think someone stolen the dog and he was able to get away and tracked me down ! It was amazing as the dog never saw my car ,but he was still able to pick up my sense all the way to my house! Dogs are amazing!

My girlfriend got me into rescuing animals. I've always loved animals, but I can be allergic to them. I just needed a push. We just fostered a puppy and found her a home. We also do wildlife rehabilitation. We just rehabbed 2 squirrels and will release them within a month.

I have 2 cats and 2 ferrets. I am pretty sure the cats are sick of us bringing in so many different animals......

Deaf Dog

:wave: I have always rescued dogs and cats, birds, rabbits, and one time in college a opossum! My Kids had a blast with him! But when he got older I let a girl from LSU Vet School train him for the great outdoors and she released him into a protected wildlife reserve. That was cool. Still have pics! Named him OP!

Now I am trying to promoting Animal Rescue Organizations in my area of South Louisiana. One has a Deaf Dog for Adoption after he is trained in Sign Language. So Cool! Beautiful Pup! :lol:
Check him out!

Robin Menard's Photos | Facebook

Back