Animal cruelty laws? It confused me..

Taurus

Reaction score
This shouldn't go to "Our Pets" section because it isn't my pet nor talking about animal cruelty..

This thread is all about laws and feeding animals to snakes..

I have seen some videos that show how the snake eat/choke/kill rats, mice, rabbits, kittens, puppies, and else..

A lot of snake owners kept saying that its normal for snake to eat these animals because it's nature.. Somehow I feel like uncomfortable about this because I don't feel like this is nature way to feed snakes. I mean some people put guinea pigs in snake cages and watch snakes kill g. pigs.. Guinea pigs have no hope to escape in these cages. The nature way to kill them is plenty of spaces like in forest/meadow that guinea pigs have some hopes to escape.

In youtube, I saw a video of rabbit fought snake and rabbit rapidly bite snake's body and tail while snake was trying to choke rabbit. Snake cannot take it anymore and tried to escaped but rabbit chased after the snake and continue to bite the snake. At the result, rabbit won the fight. In my point of view, that's nature way that preys (rabbit or else) have some hopes to escape from snakes..
It's like 50/50 chance to survive compare to zero percent to survive in snakes' cages.

anyway, I have seen some videos such a guy who have no patience to wait for his snake to eat rabbit so he pushed rabbit to disturb the snake. The snake attacked him. Is that animal cruelty for that guy is involved because he was pushing rabbit to touch the snake?

I have seen similar way in different videos that kinda bother me because I wasn't sure if this is animal cruelty?

I tried to look for any websites about illegal feeding to snakes or laws about feeding snake. but I found this website Cruelty Law NE-WY

Look at any states..

I'll pick one state for you.. I'll go for New York's law(s)
"Cruelty to animals is defined as: “overdrives, overloads, tortures or cruelly beats or unjustifiably injures, maims, mutilates or kills any animal, whether wild or tame, and whether belonging to himself or to another, or deprives any animal of necessary sustenance, food or drink, or neglects or refuses to furnish it such sustenance or drink, or causes, procures or permits” such acts. This is a Misdemeanor, punishable with a fine of up to $1000 and/or imprisonment up to 1 year. "

To my point of view, I think it is cruel way to abuse animal cuz it said tortures?

Look at another bold words in quote.. It said whether belonging to himself.. I KNOW that when the snake owners get feeders, its "official" their belongings, and they torture their feeders (belonging) to snakes. So it's an animal cruelty after all?

Look at the last bold word -- remember I mentioned about the guy pushed rabbit to disturb snake's peace, so he caused it or caused feeders have no hope to escape in the cage or limit space (that including in the houses). Is that animal cruelty?

Please share your opinion about this..
AND PLEASE DON'T SAY OH WELL THAT'S NATURE! Try image yourself as a rat in the snake's cage, you think that's fair for you that your owner putted you in there?? If I was in that situation, I'll think it is animal cruelty.

Thank you

Man who fed puppy to boa gets 90 days in jailJoseph Beadle, 40, pleaded guilty to an animal cruelty charge in March. ..... To: DogByte6RER. Would he have been arrested for feeding the snake to his dog? ...
404 Not Found

I don't care for rodents because they carry disease, but on the other hand I do agree with you in regardless of the feeding of life prey to snakes. I do believe it's inhumane, cruel and unfair to these animals such as rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs and pets.

I don't care for rodents because they carry disease, but on the other hand I do agree with you in regardless of the feeding of life prey to snakes. I do believe it's inhumane, cruel and unfair to these animals such as rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs and pets.

Domestic Rodents aren't usually carry diseases unless if they were wild animals.. My three rodents aren't carry any diseases..

anyway, thanks for responding.

Sewer rodents, yes. But domestic rodents? Not really. Otherwise, they wouldn't sell them if they were carrying diseases. Rats are better pets in comparison to hamsters. Hamsters are filthy and smelly. Rats clean themselves all of the times and they are intelligent.

Besides, people shouldn't be allowed to have snakes as pets. They aren't safe, especially around children.

Hamsters are not flirty and smelly, I've had a hamster before. I think they only smell if the cage is not clean.

It's very sad. Snakes shouldn't be kept as pets they are wild animals. Then we wouldn't have this problem in the first place.

I used to live with Pet rats, but they've all gone now. I miss them but right now I don't think it is right for me to have any more rats. Later I may get some male rats but not right now.

Hamsters are not flirty and smelly, I've had a hamster before. I think they only smell if the cage is not clean.

I said they are filthy and smelly, not flirty. :giggle:

The hamsters I've had never flirted with me.

I said they are filthy and smelly, not flirty. :giggle:

The hamsters I've had never flirted with me.

:laugh2::laugh2:

Maybe.. because it was a boy hamster you had.

Snakes are an issue in Florida. People releasing them.

It should be banned. Now they are trying to pass a law where all snake owners have to register. Address and everything.

:laugh2::laugh2:

Maybe.. because it was a boy hamster you had.

Snakes are an issue in Florida. People releasing them.

It should be banned. Now they are trying to pass a law where all snake owners have to register. Address and everything.

Register!?!? that is still animal cruelty anyway?

Let snake learn how to hunt prey without any humans grab preys for them..

Register!?!? that is still animal cruelty anyway?

Let snake learn how to hunt prey without any humans grab preys for them..

How do you suppose we do that? Allow the huge python to run free?

I am talking about how the non native snakes should be banned. Since most that are at the pet stores are. If we ban selling them... Then we would not have to stick a mouse or other small animal in the cage for the snake to eat.

:cool2:

How do you suppose we do that? Allow the huge python to run free?

I am talking about how the non native snakes should be banned. Since most that are at the pet stores are. If we ban selling them... Then we would not have to stick a mouse or other small animal in the cage for the snake to eat.

:cool2:

I think we should let huge python to run free if only they can change their habit from indoor to outdoor..

I think we should let huge python to run free if only they can change their habit from indoor to outdoor..

They can't, because that would be a danger to the environment in Florida.

We have people going out to the Everglades as we speak. License snake hunters capturing these large pythons by hand. Since they are prohibited from using guns or traps.

These are the very snakes that were released by previous owners.

Major threat to the eco system in Florida.

In youtube, I saw a video of rabbit fought snake and rabbit rapidly bite snake's body and tail while snake was trying to choke rabbit. Snake cannot take it anymore and tried to escaped but rabbit chased after the snake and continue to bite the snake. At the result, rabbit won the fight. In my point of view, that's nature way that preys (rabbit or else) have some hopes to escape from snakes..

You made my day! :)

By the way, I do find it disturbing when people own a snake and put the rodents in the same cage..

I also do not think the snake should be pet at all because the snake in the naturally surivive on their own. They are too smart to be pet.

I used to be a reptile keeper, so the ignorance is appalling coming from the people that support these live-feeding, or anyone that is unaware what is the proper way.

A responsible keeper of snakes or large lizards would feed their animals thawed or prekilled food. I used to keep numerous rats and mice in my freezer. These rodents are humanely euthanised by large scale suppliers.

The people who post live-feeding videos of reptiles and fish are just people who are too busy trying to be macho to make themselves feel better. Now there are a few cases where snakes won't take prekilled prey, but the responsible people don't post videos of those online and usually make sure that the rodent is taken care of within the first five or ten minutes, otherwise they remove the said rodent. Why? Rodents are nasty buggers when cornered and can actually kill the snake if threatened.

All things must eat, but nothing should have to suffer unnecessarily in captive care of a human.

Last edited:
Back