America's Love/Hate Relationship with Mexico and Mexicans

MattB

Reaction score
Anthony Bourdain, the famous (or infamous, depends on how you feel about his views) globe-trotting chef has penned a post on his Tumblr that I thought was very poignant and worth reading. It deals with America's love and hate of all things Mexico, Mexican people, and Mexican culture. There doesn't seem much of a middle ground, people either dislike them for being foreigners and infiltrating our country or like them for their culture, food, and their role in our country.

Americans love Mexican food. We consume nachos, tacos, burritos, tortas, enchiladas, tamales and anything resembling Mexican in enormous quantities. We love Mexican beverages, happily knocking back huge amounts of tequila, mezcal and Mexican beer every year. We love Mexican people—as we sure employ a lot of them. Despite our ridiculously hypocritical attitudes towards immigration, we demand that Mexicans cook a large percentage of the food we eat, grow the ingredients we need to make that food, clean our houses, mow our lawns, wash our dishes, look after our children. As any chef will tell you, our entire service economy—the restaurant business as we know it—in most American cities, would collapse overnight without Mexican workers. Some, of course, like to claim that Mexicans are “stealing American jobs”. But in two decades as a chef and employer, I never had ONE American kid walk in my door and apply for a dishwashing job, a porter’s position—or even a job as prep cook. Mexicans do much of the work in this country that Americans, provably, simply won’t do.

We love Mexican drugs. Maybe not you personally, but “we”, as a nation, certainly consume titanic amounts of them—and go to extraordinary lengths and expense to acquire them. We love Mexican music, Mexican beaches, Mexican architecture, interior design, Mexican films.

So, why don’t we love Mexico?

Anthony Bourdain, Under The Volcano

The last question on Why don't we love Mexico?

There are too much violence from the government and corrupt police including the corporations (trying to take the lands and murder native people (mostly protesters)). There are many Mexican and Native people being suffered from them. They don't get pay enough to live on food and roof over their heads. Their lives had suffered so much that they want to come to North America to have a better life.

You are correct before coming to the last question. Mexican and Native people are really great people. As long as they are not corrupt like the Mafia or any criminal in Mexico destroying peoples' lives and their jobs. That is why I feel sorry for them having to go through this with bad people in Mexico, Central America and South America. I don't know why Spanish people from Spain are not good people to begin with in Mexico. :(

Ditto for Cubans in South FL, but their seafood fare is delish, interesting culture but unfortunately it's like they are becoming corrupted from their own nonsense. :(

I married a Mexican so of course I love them. As for Mexico, itself..I don't like how they see women as inferior to men, the corruption, and etc. I feel the country has so much potential to become a shining star with all of its beautiful beaches and rain forests. It is unfortunate.

I did go to Mexican Cruise 2 times which is real fun. And I visited Mexico 3 times but I do not remember what name cities are. When I was in Cruise bus with group. I noticed Mexicans always surround us and try to selling us the stuffs and foods both. I brought Mexican dress from one of them which is very pretty.

Just FYI, If you go to Mexico or Mexican Cruise. Taco taste better making real Mexicans than in USA.

I forget add one more. If you enter Mexico from a cruise, Good idea for you to stay in the group otherwise not safe go to alone.

When I was with my mom, My mom wanted to be alone at shopping outside but I caught a stranger almost plan to rob her. I stopped him before he glup and walk away from me. I had to stay with my mom until go back in a cruise. If I have family or friend, I will never never leave him/her alone in the foreign countries. Otherwise not safe to go alone otherwise can lead in rob or other get hurt.

People are always going to find someone to hate. Even if there is no reason. Mexicans are great but the country needs work.

I forget add one more. If you enter Mexico from a cruise, Good idea for you to stay in the group otherwise not safe go to alone.

When I was with my mom, My mom wanted to be alone at shopping outside but I caught a stranger almost plan to rob her. I stopped him before he glup and walk away from me. I had to stay with my mom until go back in a cruise. If I have family or friend, I will never never leave him/her alone in the foreign countries. Otherwise not safe to go alone otherwise can lead in rob or other get hurt.

women are being warned not to go out alone in the evening right in Boston , Ma. Times are difference and people can no longer leave their back doors open during the day right here in USA.

I think the problem is that US Media portrayed Mexico as a third world country. The US media had never mentioned anything good news that occurred in Mexico.

Mexicans are divided over the outdated label of a third world country. They believe that it is a developed country. Others believe it is neither a third world country or a first world country, despite Mexico is the top 1.3 trillions dollars on GDP rank. Go look up on CIA fact book, and Economics. It's climbing. Thanks to NAFTA, and open trades to countries. Japan and Germany looooves Mexico. Northern Mexican states are wealthy than Southern Mexican states except Yucatan states and D.F. (Mexico City). Northern Mexican states are a bit Americanized. The middle class is booming right now. Mexicans with European cars usually drive across the border to fill up high quality US gas here.

The reason Mexicans are overweight is the soda. The Coca Cola company is the big thing in Mexico. The sodas are available everywhere . if you have empty glass bottles in a box, you can take them to the store for refill. Some of my Mexican relatives down there managed to give up their soda. Nice gyms on the large stadiums there are available for everyone.

The Spanish and European architecture buildings are amazing. Mexico has more art galleries, museums and architectures than any country in the world.

I'm sure Americans are very familiar with Cinco de Mayo. I usually correct Americans that Cinco De Mayo is not the Mexican Independence Day. Mexicans from Mexican States except the state of Puebla really don't celebrate it. Mexicans in the state of Puebla usually celebrate it, because of where it started there during the American Civil War at the time. Look up the battle of Puebla history about France's invasion and Monroe's Doctrine

As for Mexican women in Mexico, Some say that women are privileged in Mexico. Yeah, I know Mexican guys are machismo, but depends on where they were raised, and the level of culture they were exposed. it's still nice that guys open the door for you. Female Mexicans are still fighting for their rights, which is a good thing. If you apply for a job at a family owned business, eh, good luck. They won't hire you unless you're bonita. They can fire you later if you get too old. I'm glad the society has been changing..slowly.. My advice is apply a job at the US, Asian and European corporations, schools, health care, and Foreign Embassies if you plan to live there.

Plus they know how to dress very well there in D.F. I don't see anyone flashing their butt with pants down. YET. It's a matter of perceptive.

When it came to Mexican cuisine, there are many cultures and variety of meals within Mexican states. We all know that indigenous people in the state of Oaxaca are famous for Zapotec and Mixtec cuisine. Oh, they are the best and funny. Let me give you a tip if you visit down there. You cannot say the word, 'Indian' in Spanish. It's very offensive to all Mexicans down there.

Stay away from Mexican pastry. Conchas are very addictive and dulce.

The article is off...while Americans may enjoy Mexican cuisine (which I don't), it doesn't extend to allowing illegals to come here and live off tax payers money. I don't believe Americans dislike Mexicans in general. It's understandable why a person would want to create a better life for themselves. What people resent, is that the Mexican government encourages illegal immigration to the States, knowing the financial toll it costs to our government. They harbor U.S. felons, they refuse to assist the U.S. (or any other country for that matter) in extraditing criminals living within their boarders and they act like they're entitled to hand outs. If an American were to sneak into Mexico, for whatever reason, they could not get a driver's license, a free education, they would be required to learn Spanish to get by, they wouldn't qualify for financial assistance, medical care: all things that illegals can get here over citizens who have recently lost their job.

We have students graduating from school with no job prospects, families losing their home because their hours were cut or they were let go, people who have worked all their life, found themselves battling an illness and got dropped by their health insurance. Yet illegals who break the laws, lie to get public assistance: they get free health care, they refuse to learn the language, they take advantage of our lifestyle and they get privileges above other candidates vying for citizenship. As a government employee, I'm embarrassed to say that the people who obey the laws and give back to society by being productive members - get pushed to the back of the line and stay there.....

Americans in general are tired of losing money on illegals. We need the money for our own people, many of whom are struggling in this administration to get from day to day.

Laura

I think the problem is that US Media portrayed Mexico as a third world country. The US media had never mentioned anything good news that occurred in Mexico.

Mexicans are divided over the outdated label of a third world country. They believe that it is a developed country. Others believe it is neither a third world country or a first world country, despite Mexico is the top 1.3 trillions dollars on GDP rank. Go look up on CIA fact book, and Economics. It's climbing. Thanks to NAFTA, and open trades to countries. Japan and Germany looooves Mexico. Northern Mexican states are wealthy than Southern Mexican states except Yucatan states and D.F. (Mexico City). Northern Mexican states are a bit Americanized. The middle class is booming right now. Mexicans with European cars usually drive across the border to fill up high quality US gas here.

The reason Mexicans are overweight is the soda. The Coca Cola company is the big thing in Mexico. The sodas are available everywhere . if you have empty glass bottles in a box, you can take them to the store for refill. Some of my Mexican relatives down there managed to give up their soda. Nice gyms on the large stadiums there are available for everyone.

The Spanish and European architecture buildings are amazing. Mexico has more art galleries, museums and architectures than any country in the world.

I'm sure Americans are very familiar with Cinco de Mayo. I usually correct Americans that Cinco De Mayo is not the Mexican Independence Day. Mexicans from Mexican States except the state of Puebla really don't celebrate it. Mexicans in the state of Puebla usually celebrate it, because of where it started there during the American Civil War at the time. Look up the battle of Puebla history about France's invasion and Monroe's Doctrine

As for Mexican women in Mexico, Some say that women are privileged in Mexico. Yeah, I know Mexican guys are machismo, but depends on where they were raised, and the level of culture they were exposed. it's still nice that guys open the door for you. Female Mexicans are still fighting for their rights, which is a good thing. If you apply for a job at a family owned business, eh, good luck. They won't hire you unless you're bonita. They can fire you later if you get too old. I'm glad the society has been changing..slowly.. My advice is apply a job at the US, Asian and European corporations, schools, health care, and Foreign Embassies if you plan to live there.

Plus they know how to dress very well there in D.F. I don't see anyone flashing their butt with pants down. YET. It's a matter of perceptive.

When it came to Mexican cuisine, there are many cultures and variety of meals within Mexican states. We all know that indigenous people in the state of Oaxaca are famous for Zapotec and Mixtec cuisine. Oh, they are the best and funny. Let me give you a tip if you visit down there. You cannot say the word, 'Indian' in Spanish. It's very offensive to all Mexicans down there.

Stay away from Mexican pastry. Conchas are very addictive and dulce.

That's great to know this now. I agree with you that Mexico is portrayed in a negative light with the American media. Also, my ex-husband and his family have complained how bad it is in Mexico but then again, they were all from the Nogalas area and I have been there and have seen that it seems deep rooted in the old traditions of Mexican culture. I have gone to Puerto Vallitara (in 1993) and see that it was different from Nogalas. I haven't been to Mexico in 20 years so I am sure things have changed but all I read and see are news about the crime near the border and all that so it makes me feel like things have gotten worse in the country.

Thanks for sharing all of this.

women are being warned not to go out alone in the evening right in Boston , Ma. Times are difference and people can no longer leave their back doors open during the day right here in USA.

Really? Wow. It is change from past to present. It is getting worst today than before. Let you know when I was at Washington DC. I never go walk outside alone but I always with my friends for go out.

Let you know that I went to Boston many times when I visit my sister in law and brother in Maine. After I arrive in Boston. My sister in law has most relatives in Boston and New England that they always give me a lift until we arrive Maine.

Do you noticed most gardeners are Mexican and other? I have 2 gardeners and pool cleaner are from Mexico that they do real good job to cleaning up frontyard and backyard both. But, pool clean clean up is okay.

When weather starts so hot, I have to give the gardeners free cold water bottles that I do not want to see them get sick from so hot weather. Sometimes I gave them real nice cold coffee fraccpinos cuz that I have to show them respect for work harder at yards.

Really? Wow. It is change from past to present. It is getting worst today than before. Let you know when I was at Washington DC. I never go walk outside alone but I always with my friends for go out.

Let you know that I went to Boston many times when I visit my sister in law and brother in Maine. After I arrive in Boston. My sister in law has most relatives in Boston and New England that they always give me a lift until we arrive Maine.

In some areas in DC, it is fine to walk alone. I have done it several times. Just have to know the city. I am sure it is the same in Mexico.

Do you noticed most gardeners are Mexican and other? I have 2 gardeners and pool cleaner are from Mexico that they do real good job to cleaning up frontyard and backyard both. But, pool clean clean up is okay.

When weather starts so hot, I have to give the gardeners free cold water bottles that I do not want to see them get sick from so hot weather. Sometimes I gave them real nice cold coffee fraccpinos cuz that I have to show them respect for work harder at yards.

There are several Mexicans who have other careers, not just gardening. Wondering what was your point of mentioning that?

It's not that there are a lot of Mexicans who are gardeners or in landscaping, it's that everywhere in America whichever the prevalent low-income minority will hold that job. In north Florida it's mostly rednecks who hold the gardening/landscaping jobs. In south Florida it's a lot of Latinos.

California and Texas are both big, populous states and therefore would likely have a lot of Mexicans into gardening/landscaping and that likely perpetuated that stereotype so heavily. I imagine it's probably a lot of black people in MS and AL doing those jobs. It's a job that attracts hard-working low-income minorities, but that is unfortunately true for any other job that requires a lot of hard work in rough conditions. It doesn't matter what talent or skills they may have, they are forced to work those jobs just to stay alive and to feed a family.

Years ago, I was shocked to find out that a guy from Asia who had a doctorate was doing construction work because his doctorate does not apply here in the States and so therefore he had to go to school and get his Ph.D. again, but still had to feed his family somehow.

There are several Mexicans who have other careers, not just gardening. Wondering what was your point of mentioning that?

Yea. You are right. Some Mexicans can be doctor, teacher and other. Also, I met some of them from college that they got degree before they got real good job. Some of them working at store.

Well. I noticed most of them working outside when i was go out for long walking.

Back