America's Love/Hate Relationship with Mexico and Mexicans

It's not that there are a lot of Mexicans who are gardeners or in landscaping, it's that everywhere in America whichever the prevalent low-income minority will hold that job. In north Florida it's mostly rednecks who hold the gardening/landscaping jobs. In south Florida it's a lot of Latinos.

California and Texas are both big, populous states and therefore would likely have a lot of Mexicans into gardening/landscaping and that likely perpetuated that stereotype so heavily. I imagine it's probably a lot of black people in MS and AL doing those jobs. It's a job that attracts hard-working low-income minorities, but that is unfortunately true for any other job that requires a lot of hard work in rough conditions. It doesn't matter what talent or skills they may have, they are forced to work those jobs just to stay alive and to feed a family.

Years ago, I was shocked to find out that a guy from Asia who had a doctorate was doing construction work because his doctorate does not apply here in the States and so therefore he had to go to school and get his Ph.D. again, but still had to feed his family somehow.

Yea. That is true. You are right.

women are being warned not to go out alone in the evening right in Boston , Ma. Times are difference and people can no longer leave their back doors open during the day right here in USA.

Huh?! I am a woman and have been to Boston many times during nights on my own.... I don't understand why would you say that unless knowing where not to go like Dorchester and some crime infested ghetto area in Boston.

In some areas in DC, it is fine to walk alone. I have done it several times. Just have to know the city. I am sure it is the same in Mexico.

So is Rochester and Buffalo. It is fine to walk alone in downtown Rochester, but don't go walk north/northeast past Amtrak/Greyhound terminal. As for Buffalo, never never never ever visit East Side on foot. Stay away from there.

women are being warned not to go out alone in the evening right in Boston , Ma. Times are difference and people can no longer leave their back doors open during the day right here in USA.

I never been to Boston. You are partial right, bec I have a friend who lost her niece there recently early this year. She can't even visit Boston due to the memory where she lost her niece.

That's great to know this now. I agree with you that Mexico is portrayed in a negative light with the American media. Also, my ex-husband and his family have complained how bad it is in Mexico but then again, they were all from the Nogalas area and I have been there and have seen that it seems deep rooted in the old traditions of Mexican culture. I have gone to Puerto Vallitara (in 1993) and see that it was different from Nogalas. I haven't been to Mexico in 20 years so I am sure things have changed but all I read and see are news about the crime near the border and all that so it makes me feel like things have gotten worse in the country.

Thanks for sharing all of this.

You're welcome. I've been to Nogalas before. It reminds me a bit of Tijuana. Yeah, Nogalas doesn't represent Mexico. I think 31 Mexican states plus Federal District do represent Mexico. There are variety of cultures all over Mexico.

I notice you live near DC. If you plan to go to Mexico City, you will need about two weeks to explore Mexico City. I guarantee you'll be blown away. There are no words to describe it. Beside that, my favorite cities are Taxco, Cuernavaca and Veracruz.

San Miguel de Allende is very famous for foreigners and expats, but it is too touristy and hype. The first time would be cool. After that, it can get too old.

It's not that there are a lot of Mexicans who are gardeners or in landscaping, it's that everywhere in America whichever the prevalent low-income minority will hold that job. In north Florida it's mostly rednecks who hold the gardening/landscaping jobs. In south Florida it's a lot of Latinos.

California and Texas are both big, populous states and therefore would likely have a lot of Mexicans into gardening/landscaping and that likely perpetuated that stereotype so heavily. I imagine it's probably a lot of black people in MS and AL doing those jobs. It's a job that attracts hard-working low-income minorities, but that is unfortunately true for any other job that requires a lot of hard work in rough conditions. It doesn't matter what talent or skills they may have, they are forced to work those jobs just to stay alive and to feed a family.

Years ago, I was shocked to find out that a guy from Asia who had a doctorate was doing construction work because his doctorate does not apply here in the States and so therefore he had to go to school and get his Ph.D. again, but still had to feed his family somehow.

Correct. That applies to medical doctors, too. Depends on hospital policy, If you have received an education from another country, you will be required to take medical exam and English exam before you take a job.

Many Americans don't realize that Mexicans already lived in California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas before they became the US states. There are Spanish name cities. They chose to speak Spanish and keep the culture alive.

I attended a private school in Mexico. The environment was very different. In my private school, they usually ask you what your name is and where you came from before they speak your language.

It was my very first semester at the US public high school as a senior after I moved to San Diego from Mexico. The transition was hard at first, but it got better quickly. They don't ask a question like that. In my class, it was very interesting experience. We worked on a project as a group. A Mexican-American student just started to speak Spanish out of the blue to other student. The other student was like, "What? I don't speak Spanish."

A Mexican-American student was confused, "I thought you know Spanish."

"Why do you think I know Spanish?"

"You look Mexican. Are you from Panama?"

"No, I'm a Pala Indian." She laughed. She often was mistaken for looking Mexican or Central American.

I asked Mexican-American if she had been to D.F. She was like, "What is D.F.?" I had to change my line and asked her again. "Have you been to Mexico City?" She naturally said no. She had never been to Mexico except Tijuana. She grew up in San Diego all her life. I still refer Mexico City as D.F. It's hard for me to break my habit. :)

In some areas in DC, it is fine to walk alone. I have done it several times. Just have to know the city. I am sure it is the same in Mexico.

I have no problem accessing public transportation in Mexico. I even walk down the streets by myself. I agree that you have to know the city first before you walk around.

I know some areas in San Diego and Los Angeles are dangerous and I know how to avoid them. It is common sense. In San Diego area, I was working at art gallery. My former boss begged me to walk her to her car in the alley at the night, because the biker bar was two doors away. I usually carry keys in my hand for protection.

Edit: one more thing, I used to live in Dallas area. Two years ago, my friend used to be a salesman and had to walk the streets to do his job in the dangerous area that had a reputation for crimes. He had no choice, but to do his job. A few guys approached him and pointed a gun at him, demanding him to give his iPad. My friend gave it to them. It was a good thing they did not hurt him. They just took off with his iPad. He was glad iPad belonged to his company.

Back