AMC TV Censoring Captions

Banjo

Expelled
Premium Member
Reaction score
I recently found out that AMC TV has been censoring all of their TV shows. Shows like "Mad Men", "Breaking Bad" and more are being censored via closed captioning. You see, the audio isn't censored, but the captions are.

For example,

[AUDIO] What the hell happened?
[CAPTION] What the h-- happened?

[AUDIO] You little bastard.
[CAPTION] You little b------.

[AUDIO] Oh Jesus.
[CAPTION] Oh J----.

As shown in the examples at this blog, Video Clip and Picture Stills of Censored Closed Captions (From Breaking Bad) | Eh? What? Huh?

My point being, if the audio isn't being censored, then why censor the captions? These shows aren't for children, and some aren't for the faint of heart either.

Noticed the same thing going on in Breaking Bad...

I think it's probably related to redundant or outdated closed captioning guidelines, maybe related to the FCC standards.

Did you contact AMC and make an inquiry? I'd be interested in their response!

That tell us that they don't want deaf to learn the beeping word. Hmm..

We've had other threads about this too. Seems that censoring goes both ways. There have been times when swear words will be spelled out in the captions but beeped in the audio.

I recently found out that AMC TV has been censoring all of their TV shows. Shows like "Mad Men", "Breaking Bad" and more are being censored via closed captioning. You see, the audio isn't censored, but the captions are.

For example,

[AUDIO] What the hell happened?
[CAPTION] What the h-- happened?

[AUDIO] You little bastard.
[CAPTION] You little b------.

[AUDIO] Oh Jesus.
[CAPTION] Oh J----.

As shown in the examples at this blog, Video Clip and Picture Stills of Censored Closed Captions (From Breaking Bad) | Eh? What? Huh?

My point being, if the audio isn't being censored, then why censor the captions? These shows aren't for children, and some aren't for the faint of heart either.

This issue is one of my pet peeves.
Long ago when Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid came out, I saw a captioned version. In the scene where the Kid jumps off a cliff and yells "SHIT!" the caption read "HECK!"
It is rather insulting.

yeah, I noticed it too on Breaking Bad. It doesnt bother me too much cuz its easy to figure out what is being said.

Whats really annoying is when they use a loud annoying beep to cover profanity. That gets to be more offensive than the swear words

Yes, I noticed too.

Just a lot of "deleted" via closed captioning.

Back