Amazon and Unbox TIVO services not captioned!

syounger64

Reaction score
Hello,

I went ahead to file an FCC complaint against Amazon and Unbox services for the lack of captioning or subtitles.

Basically this is a dvd rental online service that you can download to your TIVO or computer. This is their 2nd e-mail message which is BS.

Are there any such dvd download services that includes captions or subtitles?

Read below:

----------

Greetings from Amazon.com.

Thank you for writing to us about closed captioning and subtitles in
Amazon Unbox videos.

Unfortunately we do not offer closed captioning nor subtitles at this
time. The availability of content through our Amazon Unbox service
depends on our agreements and arrangements with various content
owners. We are constantly working to establish and improve these
agreements so we can offer the largest range of content possible.

It is always important for us to hear how customers react to all
aspects of shopping at Amazon.com. Customer feedback and suggestions
like yours help us continue to work toward creating the most complete
experience for all our customers. We appreciate that you took the time
to write to us.

Thank you for your interest in Amazon Unbox video downloads on Amazon.com.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:

We are constantly working to establish and improve these agreements so we can offer the largest range of content possible.
Customer feedback and suggestions like yours help us continue to work toward creating the most complete experience for all our customers.

My ass! they should wear a shirt that say :stupid: If they want to satisify ALL of their customers, then they should fix the problem :liar:

There is no law requiring CC on DVDs and VHS, but *most* major companies have them anyway. And you are correct in the part that if the company wants to have better customer satisfaction then they would have CC supported format available for the Deaf and HOH.

FCC thus far has no requirement in place where DVDs and VHS (or even movie theatres for that matter) to have captions, but the option should be available to those who specifically ask for it.

well. it is nothing new, dude, that all downloaded movies do not come with CC or subtitles for almost 3 years. they(movielinks, cinemanow, and others) did say they are working on CC or subtitles program for those downloaded movies. there are some posts in AD about that situation and Vlogs and Blogs do talk about same thing so it is nothing new.

just dont buy it yet. just be cool, ok ?

There is no law requiring CC on DVDs and VHS, but *most* major companies have them anyway. And you are correct in the part that if the company wants to have better customer satisfaction then they would have CC supported format available for the Deaf and HOH.

FCC thus far has no requirement in place where DVDs and VHS (or even movie theatres for that matter) to have captions, but the option should be available to those who specifically ask for it.

No, he's means for Tivo.

Not related to VHS or DVD.

Download service for movies or tv shows aren't DVD.

Hello,

I went ahead to file an FCC complaint against Amazon and Unbox services for the lack of captioning or subtitles.

Basically this is a dvd rental online service that you can download to your TIVO or computer. This is their 2nd e-mail message which is BS.

Are there any such dvd download services that includes captions or subtitles?

Read below:

----------

Greetings from Amazon.com.

Thank you for writing to us about closed captioning and subtitles in
Amazon Unbox videos.

Unfortunately we do not offer closed captioning nor subtitles at this
time. The availability of content through our Amazon Unbox service
depends on our agreements and arrangements with various content
owners. We are constantly working to establish and improve these
agreements so we can offer the largest range of content possible.

It is always important for us to hear how customers react to all
aspects of shopping at Amazon.com. Customer feedback and suggestions
like yours help us continue to work toward creating the most complete
experience for all our customers. We appreciate that you took the time
to write to us.

Thank you for your interest in Amazon Unbox video downloads on Amazon.com.

Don't blame on Amazon, just blame to Tivo.

I think that you can't sue on Tivo because FCC don't require or what's wrong with your system.

If you read the email carefully...
The availability of content through our Amazon Unbox service depends on our agreements and arrangements with various content owners.
This shows that it's not Amazon's fault. It's also at the fault of the people to provided videos to Amazon.

Amazon is a distribution company, not a captioning company.

For instance, George Lucas makes the Star Wars movies. Amazon distributes them. If George Lucas decides not to make Star Wars captioned, you should blame George Lucas... not Amazon.

You may or may not agree with this but I just wanted to rattle their cages. Who knows what might happen next. There may be some technical barriers to making these videos subtitled but until we know for sure...we dont know if its an oversight on their (whomever) part!

Thanks for the info and opinions. :ty:

The FCC regulates over-the-air broadcasters, not download services. You may as well complain to them about YouTube not captioning things.

Tivo is just the player--it's not their fault if the content doesn't come captioned. That's like being angry at your Toshiba DVD player because the DVD you bought isn't captioned.

The FCC regulates over-the-air broadcasters, not download services. You may as well complain to them about YouTube not captioning things.

Tivo is just the player--it's not their fault if the content doesn't come captioned. That's like being angry at your Toshiba DVD player because the DVD you bought isn't captioned.

You means like CBS, FOX, ABC, PBS or CW?

I remember about CBS rejected to have CC support on tv shows in last 15 years ago.

You means like CBS, FOX, ABC, PBS or CW?

I remember about CBS rejected to have CC support on tv shows in last 15 years ago.

Technically, not even the networks, but their stations, yes. If you're not getting closed captioning on a TV show, you complain to the STATION who broadcast it and let them know that by FCC regulation code (you mention the code) they have to caption that show. They then have a certain amount of time to reply to you. If they don't, you take your complaint to the FCC--with evidence of the show not being captioned.

I actually wrote a letter like this recently to my local NBC station because HEROES in HD's closed captioning was out of sync, forcing us to watch SD. It's not the local station's fault--but they're responsible for captions anyway, so they had to complain to NBC. Which--suddenly they started talking to me about fixing it as soon as they got my official letter. ;)

Here's how to do it: File a captioning complaint - National Association of the Deaf

I've found no problems with captions on CBS-HD. There have been out-of-sync caption problems sometimes on NBC and often on Fox. I've actually been emailing with a Fox Network executive about the Fox problem, and with the local NBC station engineer about the NBC problem.

Fox's problem was they were using the captions from SD on their HD uplink, but the SD started at a different time--slightly--than their HD broadcast, so the captions were out of sync.

With NBC it seems to depend on the location of their network uplink.

Threatening FCC complaints does, I admit, help get me noticed, because they don't want that trouble--they are LICENCED by the FCC, where as Amazon and Tivo are not.

Fox, actually, has been VERY receptive and helpful. They didn't need the threat of an FCC complaint to talk to me.

I have theory in business in common sense that there aren't enough deaf or loss-hearing to have high-speed to watch with subtitle. Of course, they sould suggest that it would be great for someone to keep noise level.

Could encourage the ideal to hearing to ask for demand. Maybe it would happen.

I have theory in business in common sense that there aren't enough deaf or loss-hearing to have high-speed to watch with subtitle. Of course, they sould suggest that it would be great for someone to keep noise level.

Could encourage the ideal to hearing to ask for demand. Maybe it would happen.

At some point computers will do it for you, I bet.

Back