Am I weird?

Radcliff

Reaction score
Hey, hello!! I've noticed since my hearing loss (Im HOH) I've started to talk less and less. Is that normal?

I feel as if I'm super self concious about my voice and the way I form words. I had a lisp as a child and I'm told that its significantly worse. Plus I feel really awkward in conversation because I have a hard time following. I feel like this causing me to socially withdraw.

Does anyone else experience this? What do you do to combat that?

I sounded like that until I got stuck with braces :) (and a bite jumper in 6th grade, so yep that was a pain in the ass too)

Hey, hello!! I've noticed since my hearing loss (Im HOH) I've started to talk less and less. Is that normal?

I feel as if I'm super self concious about my voice and the way I form words. I had a lisp as a child and I'm told that its significantly worse. Plus I feel really awkward in conversation because I have a hard time following. I feel like this causing me to socially withdraw.

Does anyone else experience this? What do you do to combat that?
Just be you be confident

Thank you for sharing it with us. You aren’t the only one. We all have our struggles. Yes it is normal for you to talk less but don’t let that stop you to socialize with your friends and family. Maybe you could explain a bit to the person you are talking to that you have a hearing loss. She/he should accept and have patient with you. I know for a fact that my speech and words aren’t great as I am deaf. I do have a very good speech. Most of the time people do understand me. When they don’t understand me, I just say that I am deaf and ask nicely to repeat or rephrase the sentence in a positive attitude. Hope this helps. Just be who you are. You are in my prayer.

Weirdness is what set us a part make us what we are I strugle daily but I’m still here one day I’ll be happy just a matter when it help to smile too

Since I've been so quiet, I've found it hard to make friends at college. I'm the only person that has hearing problems

Hello if this helps you. I was the only deaf person in my high school. It wasn't easy for me and felt like an outcast. Social life isn't that great but I had my family who really care, support and love me unconditionally. It's very helpful to have a support system to get you through. Also my faith in God is what keeps me going and my trust in Jesus.
Have you check out deaf events or perhap church with deaf ministry? It will help you to connect with someone with similar disability.
Take care Radcliff.

'yes' you are Weird every one has here 'perks'
Honestly I have noticed that if I feel over powered or overwhelmed in a conversation I slowly back away. I was quiet for hours. I don't talk.
I have also had my husband asking me to 'Use my Words' in the last couple of months especially since I got my new aids even though I can hear better I can also hear 'different' everyone sounds 'funny' I can tell when things are far away. But this is not always a luxury.
It is not always a nice place been able to 'hear' I also noticed I pretend to hear less than I do. Especially when people are rude. I sometimes like having 'deaf' as an excuse for rude people.
Seriously it is not nice knowing you are not talking or 'Using your words' but I can totally relate to this. Try make a conscious effort, Try fight to talk, Don't always let other people win.

Back