Am I the only one who likes sad endings?

Mockingbird

Reaction score
From where I stand almost every single movie book and videogame is all about getting to the happy ending. To me I feel that a sad ending with a lot of tension and meaning is a lot more satisfying than any movie where some guy gets to a low point, and spends the last twenty minutes of the movie in some valiant and successful uprising to rectify the wrongs.

So, do you feel the same way about sad endings or am I the odd one out?

Nope. Tear jerking endings are sometimes the best movies. More realistic than some of the "live happly ever" after type of endings.

You are not alone. I also prefer movies that the ending goes in favor of the antagonist, or the protagonist dies.
Let's face it - realistically speaking, good is not always going to win every time.

I just watched Valkyrie last night that is a perfect example of this.
The Last Samurai, Forrest Gump, Moulin Rogue, The Godfather Part II, Titanic, Braveheart. Just a few that came to mind.
Also, Dark Knight was a perfect example at a steer in an alternate road less traveled by!

I don't mind endings where the antagonist wins, but it has to be done right.

I've seen movies where the bad guy wins and it was just horrible... made no sense at all.

It depends. If I'm watching a movie to get my mind off my own problems, then a sad ending makes me feel even worse.

However, in movies like "3:10 to Yuma", the current remake with Christian Bale and Russell Crowe, I was at first upset that Bale's character died, then I remembered that life doesn't always work out the way I think it should. It's something we all need to remember now and then.

Depends on the situation in the sad ending. For example, the Chronching Tiger Hidden Dragon's ending was good to me, it makes sense, but some movie that make everything in the movie hopeless at the end, which I dislike..

Sad endings in movies is an awesome twist. Makes you think more. Such as Premeditation.

Seems like the wife could save her husband once she figured it out. Then realize you can not control death.

A awesome movie that really made me think about the possibilities.

No, you're not the only one. A friend of mine told me a little bit funny story about his big and tall guy 6'3" friend who was crying at the end movie that's "E.T", extra-terrsial something.

I'm tearjerker guy at the movie "Beaches", "Lorenzo's oil", "Titanic" with Kate Winslet, "Boys Don't Cry" with Hilary Swank, "The Color Purple" with Whoopi Goldberg and "Ghost" with Demi Moore.

tt0119885.jpg

tearjerker-movies.jpg

800px-Crying_is_okay_here.jpg

Back