Am I the only one bothered by this?

Most hearing aid TV advertising is aimed at late deafened or hard of hearing older folks. To them, losing their hearing is another proof of losing youth, and they don't like to be reminded of that. Hence, they don't want their hearing aids to be visible. It's the same reason older women color the gray, and older men do comb overs. They want to disguise the aging process.

Hearing aid advertising doesn't really market towards young deaf people. Have you ever seen any children, teens, or pre-middle aged people in their commercials? Of course, deafness in young people is NOT a result of the aging process, so that psychological connection to hearing aids isn't there.

I could care less if someone see my HA ! And I what pretty color HA when I get new ones in March ! I do not want boring beige and gray HA!
I wear my hair real short and I tell the hair dresser that I could not mind my HA showing. I am not proud of being HOH, but I am not ashamed of it !

Most hearing aid TV advertising is aimed at late deafened or hard of hearing older folks. To them, losing their hearing is another proof of losing youth, and they don't like to be reminded of that. Hence, they don't want their hearing aids to be visible. It's the same reason older women color the gray, and older men do comb overs. They want to disguise the aging process.

Hearing aid advertising doesn't really market towards young deaf people. Have you ever seen any children, teens, or pre-middle aged people in their commercials? Of course, deafness in young people is NOT a result of the aging process, so that psychological connection to hearing aids isn't there.

Several years ago there was a Phonak commercial with a little boy who chased his toy robot while wearing bright green bte aids.

It definitely influenced me to want bright color aids.

Nope, it doesn't bother me at all.

Consider who they are targeting! Certainly not the deaf "per se".

Besides, I can think of a whole lot worst to get upset about these days.

When paranoia starts to dominate one's thinking...there is a conspiracy in every corner. Who needs that? Life is complicated enough.

I don't care if people see my CI. They usually dont even notice I have one on since the color blends well with my hair. Not hearing is more noticeable than the device itself.

wow, I haven't seen those kind of advertisements yet, but yeah that bothers me alot. people should think before they speak and say anything wrong. I don't know if they did it on purpose or by accident in doing that advertisement

Several years ago there was a Phonak commercial with a little boy who chased his toy robot while wearing bright green bte aids.

It definitely influenced me to want bright color aids.
Wow, I missed that one! I wish I could have seen that. :(

I'm curious; has anyone ever seen a TV commercial for cochlear implants?

Botti, I remember that commercial with the little boy! I thought the color of the HA's was cool..

Great observation. We are conditioned, as a society, to accept all kinds of impairments that come with age. See the same thing in a child, and it appears unnatural to us. But only because of the way we are conditioned. Our attitudes just need to be revised. Most, however, find it simpler to just revise what is seen on the surface than to do the deep down personal work required to change an attitude.

It's there. It's subtle, though. I've been wearing glasses since I was a toddler, and, I have no problem with them. However, I went in to see the optometrist for my annual exam, and, he started pushing lasix on me. I didn't want it and said so, but this Dr wouldn't let the matter drop. He really tried to sell the procedure to the point that I got ticked off. I told him off saying that I have been wearing glasses since I was a toddler, and, I had no plans to change that any time soon. Then, I left that office and never returned.

Asthetics is big in this country, and, glasses are looked upon as being the "lesser" option. Especially, when in this case, Lasix was NOT covered by my insurance and the Dr knew it. He wanted to make money off of me, but, I just wasn't going to allow it.

Contact lenses are a booming business in this society. We have to present some superficial picture of perfection to the outside world less we be judged as human and imperfect.

Contact lenses are a booming business in this society. We have to present some superficial picture of perfection to the outside world less we be judged as human and imperfect.

I wouldn't go for contact lenses. I tried to put it on once, didn't care for it.

I wouldn't go for contact lenses. I tried to put it on once, didn't care for it.

Me, either. Nor will I have my eye subjected to a red hot laser. Glasses are just fine, thank you.

I wore contacts in my 20's but in my 30's I developed dry eyes (and mouth). The chronic dry eyes made it impossible for me to wear contacts. (Now my daughter is having the same experience.)

So, several years ago, I had laser surgery on both eyes to correct my extreme nearsightedness. There was no pain or sensation of burning involved. It's been great! I can still drive without glasses, I can swim at the beach without glasses, I can watch TV without glasses, and I can go outside to a non-blurry world without glasses.

As an older person, I do use reading glasses.

Years prior to my laser surgery, I had all four punctal ducts cauterized. Now, THAT'S red hot surgery! Under local anesthesia only (just the eyes are numbed), with eyes wide open, sitting in a chair similar to a dentist's chair, the doctor did each duct, one at a time. He used burning hot fine metal wires and put the tip in the duct. I could hear the sizzle, see the smoke, and smell the flesh burn. Ugh!

That surgery is supposed to help dry eyes stay moist. It doesn't really do much good. :( The only difference is, if I tear up, the tears overflow down my cheeks instead of draining into the nasal cavity. Big whoop.

I don't have a single photograph of myself as a child with visible HAs. When I used to have my hair cut my mum would ask the hairdresser to cut my hair so that it covered and hid my HA. Now that I'm older I don't mind who sees them and I like my hair cut really short.

I don't have a single photograph of myself as a child with visible HAs. When I used to have my hair cut my mum would ask the hairdresser to cut my hair so that it covered and hid my HA. Now that I'm older I don't mind who sees them and I like my hair cut really short.

Me too!

I believe that to be the case, Jillio. In my case, Lasix was NOT covered by my insurance, but, my glasses were. As I mentioned, I'd been wearing them since I was 18 mos old. I've never had a problem with wearing glasses. If society has an issue with it, it's not problem!

Ditto! The reason I wouldn't go for contacts is a logistical one. If one fell out, I'd not be able to see well enough to find the dumb thing! Glasses are the much better option for me all around.

Back