Almost 5 years later

JKB315

Reaction score
Wow, I had not realized so much time had passed since I posted on here. I joined in 2008 around the time I received my CI implant. Things have been great. The quality of my life has increased so much it's indescribable. I don't regret getting implanted .

I had not been around my family up home until around late 2011. When they saw me and listened to my voice, they were shocked. Before the CI, my voice was slowly deteriorating . After the CI it was so much more clear. I was sitting on my brother's porch with him one night and we watched a car go by. The road was about 1/8 mile away. My brother is a mechanic. I told him that motor sounded awful. It sounded like it had a spun bearing because it was knocking pretty bad.

He said you actually hear that? lol He kind of teared up and said our Mom would have been thrilled if she was alive to see this.

I still talk on the phone very seldom. Who does really? It's a texting day and age. The only cons I have of being implanted is dealing with ignorant people sometimes. After awhile I am used to it. The worst experience was being accused by a Walmart employee of having a Bluetooth and listening in on employee conversations. That had to be the most ignorant thing ever. Really. lol

I am actually looking into a Nucleus 5 soon. Not sure if I'll qualify yet but I'll try.

Well I just wanted to post and say hello. I'll try to log on a little more regularly than every 5 years. :lol:

I am the same way with phones...even though I can talk to my sis or a couple others that speak clearly, I don't make an effort to call them, still prefer email/text.

The Nucleus-5 is about 30% more clear than the Freedom, and about 50% better in the ergonomics dep't.

I have the Nucleus Freedom and one of the first things I heard was a woman's high heels walking. I could hear the heels hit the ground for each step. It was amazing.

On our last check with Lotte in the "hospital" they informed us that although the N5 is smaller (and probably more comfortable) than the Freedom, technically they are they same..
We therefore decided to wait with requesting an upgrade until Cochlear comes with a newer model... technically...

So, I'm wondering now.. How is the N5 vs Freedom technically?

On our last check with Lotte in the "hospital" they informed us that although the N5 is smaller (and probably more comfortable) than the Freedom, technically they are they same..
We therefore decided to wait with requesting an upgrade until Cochlear comes with a newer model... technically...

So, I'm wondering now.. How is the N5 vs Freedom technically?

Depends on which part you are talking about. Remember there are two parts , the internal and the external.

CA does not offer it anymore due to recall , but they did offer the CI512 internal. They used Titanium cases and were the thinnest implants available. However the differences between that and the CI24RE internals ( freedom ) are functionally only cosmetic. Meaning that technically they are 'functionally' the same. Capable of the same rate of fire and frequency.

For the external processor .. The n5 is the next generation over the freedom. Better noise isolation algorithms , more programing options for the audi , generally a better processor.

Back