Allergists/Pulmonologists

Hear Again

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Do any of you see an allergist or pulmonologist? If so, what happens during your appointment with them? The reason I ask is because I've been told that my asthma (allergy-induced) is not under control if I need to use my Albuterol more than twice/week. (I use mine twice/day -- once upon awakening and right before bed.) I'm thinking about seeing an allergist or pulmonologist, but would like to learn more about what they do first especially in regards to asthma. :ty:

I guess no one here on AD sees an allergist or pulmonologist. It's just as well since my GP said I have allergy-induced asthma and do not need to see an allergist. She added another inhaler to my med regimen and believes this should keep my symptoms under control. If I run into any problems, I am to use the Albuterol she prescribed.

I guess no one here on AD sees an allergist or pulmonologist. It's just as well since my GP said I have allergy-induced asthma and do not need to see an allergist. She added another inhaler to my med regimen and believes this should keep my symptoms under control. If I run into any problems, I am to use the Albuterol she prescribed.

My Mom does. Due to she has a mild case of COPD due to scarring in her lungs from having asthma, and allergies all her life. She is currently on all kinds of allergy/asthma medications and steroids. To control her allergies. She is allergic to just about anything in the environment. Certain foods even triggers her allergies such as Grapes. :shock: She eat grapes and her hayfever goes haywire!!

Me and my siblings are fortunate enough not to have Asthma. But we all have allergies. None of us are as bad as Mom. My brothers and I all do depend on OTC allergy medication, since it is now widely available in stores.

Babyblue,

I have what are considered "severe" environmental allergies.

I'm allergic to dust, pollen, mold, ragweed, pet dander, cigarette/cigar/pipe smoke, scents/fragrances, various foods and car exhaust (this causes me to have coughing spells).

My allergy symptoms are a combination of congestion, stuffy nose, sneezing, dry cough, dry throat, allergy headache and migraines.

However, my GP just added Flovent (a steroid inhaler) which she said I can use twice/day without any problems. This is good news because I had alot of concerns about taking Albuterol that often. Now I can use the Flovent and reserve the Albuterol for times when I'm having an asthma attack and need something stronger.

From what I was told, Flovent is a controlled inhaler designed for daily use while Albuterol is a rescue inhaler designed for asthma attacks.

At any rate, I'm glad I can continue seeing my GP for this because it's one less doctor I have to see. :giggle:

Babyblue,

I have what are considered "severe" environmental allergies.

I'm allergic to dust, pollen, mold, ragweed, pet dander, cigarette/cigar/pipe smoke, scents/fragrances, various foods and car exhaust (this causes me to have coughing spells).

My allergy symptoms are a combination of congestion, stuffy nose, sneezing, dry cough, dry throat, allergy headache and migraines.

However, my GP just added Flovent (a steroid inhaler) which she said I can use twice/day without any problems. This is good news because I had alot of concerns about taking Albuterol that often. Now I can use the Flovent and reserve the Albuterol for times when I'm having an asthma attack and need something stronger.

From what I was told, Flovent is a controlled inhaler designed for daily use while Albuterol is a rescue inhaler designed for asthma attacks.

At any rate, I'm glad I can continue seeing my GP for this because it's one less doctor I have to see. :giggle:

I have allergies, Hear Again. My Mother has issues similiar to BabyBlue's Mom. She is on a ton of medication to control her condition. She also has COPD and asthma.

As to your questions, I can't specify what may happen with the pulmonologist as I don't have asthma. I CAN say (from when my Mom went), its likely you will be given lung function tests. Beyond that, I haven't a clue.

I am more knowledgeable to what happen at the allergist office. You will be given an exam and asked about things you come in contact with on a daily basis. You also may be tested to see exactly what you are sensitive to. I had allergy testing years ago and found out I was allergic to dust mites.

Hope this helps.

I have seen an allergist only once. They did the "back scratch test". They applied about 30 or so different common allergants to your back and then prick the skin ever so slightly with a needle. In my case they gave it about 20 minutes and then came back to see what was reacting (they know what liquid/spot is what - they probably had a set procedure as to what order they were applied in). Turned out I was allergic to the common dust, mold and pollen (like most people are, just that some are more sensitive than others), but also grapes. So I've stayed away from grapes ever since.

:ty: for sharing your experiences AlleyCat. I've thought about seeing an allergist, but I already know what I'm allergic to. I'm allergic to everything you mentioned (except grapes) in addition to various foods, perfumes/scents, cigarette/pipe/cigar smoke and car exhaust. (the latter gives me coughing spells and migraines depending on how strong the odor is)

Since my GP feels that my new meds will help relieve my symptoms, I'll continue to see her unless my allergies become worse and/or they are no longer addressed by my Allegra, Flonase, Flovent and Albuterol.

I have allergies, Hear Again. My Mother has issues similiar to BabyBlue's Mom. She is on a ton of medication to control her condition. She also has COPD and asthma.

As to your questions, I can't specify what may happen with the pulmonologist as I don't have asthma. I CAN say (from when my Mom went), its likely you will be given lung function tests. Beyond that, I haven't a clue.

I am more knowledgeable to what happen at the allergist office. You will be given an exam and asked about things you come in contact with on a daily basis. You also may be tested to see exactly what you are sensitive to. I had allergy testing years ago and found out I was allergic to dust mites.

Hope this helps.

:ty: Ocean.

I pretty much know what I'm allergic to. I guess the reason why I asked this question is because I thought an allergist could get my allergies under control and find better treatment for them.

That being said, my GP has done an excellent job of this herself. I made the mistake of not telling her about my dry coughing spells until recently.

If it had not been for the fact that my allergies became worse this spring, I never would have been placed on the treatment regimen I'm on now.

I'm confident (and so is my GP) that the meds I'm now on will do a good job of controlling my symptoms. If I do have an unexpected asthma attack, I can always take Albuterol.

I also plan to develop an asthma action plan with my GP in the event of an emergency.

It's similar to the plan my psychiatrist and I have in place for my bipolar should I become psychotic or severely manic.

:ty: Ocean.

I pretty much know what I'm allergic to. I guess the reason why I asked this question is because I thought an allergist could get my allergies under control and find better treatment for them.

That being said, my GP has done an excellent job of this herself. I made the mistake of not telling her about my dry coughing spells until recently.

If it had not been for the fact that my allergies became worse this spring, I never would have been placed on the treatment regimen I'm on now.

I'm confident (and so is my GP) that the meds I'm now on will do a good job of controlling my symptoms. If I do have an unexpected asthma attack, I can always take Albuterol.

I also plan to develop an asthma action plan with my GP in the event of an emergency.

It's similar to the plan my psychiatrist and I have in place for my bipolar should I become psychotic or severely manic.

Good deal! :)

Good deal! :)

Thanks Ocean! You and several others have been a great help with the information you've shared! :)

By the way, what kinds of things are you allergic to? (You can send me a PM if you'd rather not answer here. If you don't want to answer at all, that's fine too.)

I did went to see allergist. I found out I am allergic pretty a lot of things! Mostly highest is to nature such as tree, flowers, pollen etc...ugh! No wonder I get allergy every year! Oh well! I have to find the list what I am allergic. I am also allergic to cockroach! :eek3:

I am allergic to nuts (some not all), wheat, eggs (I can eat but 2x a week is OK), shrimp (had no problem eat it, weird...dr said just use my wisdom how much to eat the shrimps) and few others I don't remember.

Many people are allergic to cockroaches. It's quite common in fact. I don't know if I am, but I have heard that many people like myself who have environmental allergies are allergic to cockroaches.

Thanks Ocean! You and several others have been a great help with the information you've shared! :)

By the way, what kinds of things are you allergic to? (You can send me a PM if you'd rather not answer here. If you don't want to answer at all, that's fine too.)

I'm allergic to dust, mold, cigarette smoke, perfume, and cologne.

Speaking of allergies, I thought I'd give all of you an update as to how I'm doing. My combo of meds are working great! I've been able to sleep a full 8 hours without coughing before bed or during the middle of the night. It's also nice not to spend the morning coughing. The Flovent my GP prescribed normally takes 1-2 weeks before it reaches full efficacy, but I'm starting to notice improvements already. When I asked my pharmacist if this was possible, she said yes since I was already taking Albuterol. The Flonase is helping me just as much and I've found that if I take it twice/day (morning and evening), I don't have any symptoms if I keep my windows open or am outdoors. The Flovent has also helped me when exercising since I no longer cough when I run on my treadmill. These meds have made a real difference and my mood has improved considerably as a result. Even my psychiatrist told me last week that my affect (facial expression) is brighter and that he noticed me smile for the first time in months. :D

Back