Allergies

Hear Again

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I currently take a once/day med for allergies.

However, I've been miserable lately and am finding that my med is no longer helping me during the afternoon and evening hours.

I called my GP to ask if I can raise my dose, but was told by her nurse that it is strictly a once/day med.

My GP is out of the office for the weekend, so I was asked to do the best I can until she returns on Monday.

Do any of you have suggestions for an OTC med or alternative treatment that can give me some relief? I need to find something that will help me breathe and rest comfortably. :ty:

Hi everyone,

I currently take a once/day med for allergies.

However, I've been miserable lately and am finding that my med is no longer helping me during the afternoon and evening hours.

I called my GP to ask if I can raise my dose, but was told by her nurse that it is strictly a once/day med.

My GP is out of the office for the weekend, so I was asked to do the best I can until she returns on Monday.

Do any of you have suggestions for an OTC med or alternative treatment that can give me some relief? I need to find something that will help me breathe and rest comfortably. :ty:

I once awhile take claritin, you can find at drug store or pharmacy area. It works wonder for me. My dr prescribed nasal spray for my allergy only I use it once awhile.

I also take once a day allergy medicine. You body builds tolerance to it. I go to the pharmacist. and get the OTC medicine.

I switch out once a month with different 24 hour allergies medicine.

I also found some allergy medicine do not comply with certain anti depressant medication. So I would suggest you speak with your doctor before making any changes on going to an OTC allergy medicine.

I also take once a day allergy medicine. You body builds tolerance to it. I go to the pharmacist. and get the OTC medicine.

I switch out once a month with different 24 hour allergies medicine.

I also found some allergy medicine do not comply with certain anti depressant medication. So I would suggest you speak with your doctor before making any changes on going to an OTC allergy medicine.

:ty: jazzy and Babyblue for your suggestions. I don't want to call my psychiatrist over the weekend, so I'll call my pharmacist instead and ask about taking Zyrtec since this med worked great for me in the past.

I wanted to add that I've been on my allergy med since early last year and I think I've developed a tolerance to it. That's why I'm going to ask my GP about starting a new allergy med on Monday.

:ty: jazzy and Babyblue for your suggestions. I don't want to call my psychiatrist over the weekend, so I'll call my pharmacist instead and ask about taking Zyrtec since this med worked great for me in the past.

You are very welcome....

But since your medication has changed since... Just ask your pharmacist and let your pharmacist know what medication you are currently taking. I am sure he will find an OTC allergy medicine for you.

But do not go with out a list of your current medication. :)

I know, as an allergy sufferer. It can make you feel miserable. Sometimes, I think my allergies are worst than having a cold.

You are very welcome....

But since your medication has changed since... Just ask your pharmacist and let your pharmacist know what medication you are currently taking. I am sure he will find an OTC allergy medicine for you.

But do not go with out a list of your current medication. :)

I know, as an allergy sufferer. It can make you feel miserable. Sometimes, I think my allergies are worst than having a cold.

Babyblue,

My pharmacist has a list of all my meds on her computer. I plan to see her tomorrow and will ask about Zyrtec or another OTC allergy med.

I also plan to discuss the possibility of taking Singulair in addition to a nasal spray like Astelin, Flonase or Nasonex with my GP on Monday.

I agree with you about allergies being worse than a cold. When I'm sick with a cold, it always hits me hard, but when I have allergies, I experience sneezing, congestion, dry cough, a dry throat and headache. Not fun. :(

I experience allergies when the weather is so warm, I get prickly heat or heat rash and I constantly sneeze and have a runny nose. For this I take Pirition for a few days until my symptoms subsise

My mother has bad hayfever and allergyies in the summer when the pollen count is higher, she takes Beconase Nasal Spray a few times a day and it seems to help her. Both are over the counter.

Allergies any better, HA? I have many allergies....seasonal, environmental, to dairy and also to Vicodin and Ancef. My mom had anaphylactic reaction to wasp sting once. I was mostly taking just OTC dye-free Benedryl <which I also always carry with me> but since working at doggy daycare I now added Claritin to it.

DeafLissa, never knew of anything called Pirition? Prescription?

Allergies any better, HA?

I went to the drugstore this morning and picked up some Claritin D and Vicks. (I checked with my pharmacist to make sure Claritin wouldn't interfere with my other meds.) Ever since I took both of them, I feel much better. I am no longer as congested as I was yesterday. My sneezing, dry cough and dry throat have improved as well. :ty: for asking. :)

Lissa,

When I talk to my GP on Monday, I plan to ask her if I can take a nasal spray like Astelin in addition to my Fexofenadine.

Pirition is over the counter medication, it is not given on prescription. I'll find out the american name for it

Nasonex, works very well with my sons allergies. and he takes Zyrtecs once a day. Liquid.

It works wonders for him.

I usually take Clarinton D once a day. Especially after moving into this old house, I live in now.

I'm not sure what kind of nasal spray my GP will recommend, but as long as it works, I'll be satisfied. I also plan to ask about Advair or another inhaler for my dry coughing fits since that is yet another symptom I have year round. For example, when I'm in the cold or am exposed to dust, I start coughing so much I can hardly breathe.

Do you have asthma? As It can cause coughing fits in the cold or dust

Do you have asthma? As It can cause coughing fits in the cold or dust

I don't know if I do or not.

I always thought my coughing was due to allergies since I always cough whenever I'm around dust, cigarette/pipe/cigar smoke or any fragrance/scent.

As I mentioned, I also start coughing whenever I laugh or take a deep breath.

I'll have to ask my GP about the possibility of having asthma tomorrow as well. I'm not sure if I do, but I could be wrong.

Back