Allergies

Allergies do have certain ties to asthma.
I have major allergies....So bad that I get the dry coughs... I does not necessarily mean you have asthma.

If you feel you have a major allergy that nothing is helping you.. which medication is not helping you. I would recommend you to speak to your doctor..for alternatives.

Steroids is another option. One that my mother has to take.. since her allergies is is severe. But i truly, I do not know how they will react to the medication you are currently taking.

I also take once a day allergy medicine. You body builds tolerance to it. I go to the pharmacist. and get the OTC medicine.

I switch out once a month with different 24 hour allergies medicine.

I also found some allergy medicine do not comply with certain anti depressant medication. So I would suggest you speak with your doctor before making any changes on going to an OTC allergy medicine.
I agree.

Some people develop immunity or stronger resistance against some medicines if they are taken on a steady schedule.

So, variety helps.

Some people switch between Claritin and Zyrtec from time to time if they take them often. For me, I only need it once or twice a year during summer to fall seasons and winter to spring seasons. Since I don't take them often, they work fine for me.

Of course, I would get a second opinion due to other medications that may be counteract.

I agree.

Some people develop immunity or stronger resistance against some medicines if they are taken on a steady schedule.

So, variety helps.

Some people switch between Claritin and Zyrtec from time to time if they take them often. For me, I only need it once or twice a year during summer to fall seasons and winter to spring seasons. Since I don't take them often, they work fine for me.

Of course, I would get a second opinion due to other medications that may be counteract.

Same here.. I have not had to truly take allergy medication until I moved. I know moving was not the only factor.. In Florida we have been getting excessive rain.... which causes the ground to mold and mildew under trees..

Ack!

So moving into a old dusty house, surrounded with Oak Trees. does not help either.

My kids are even laughing at me..

My allergy was so bad, my kids heard me snoring last night. :shock:

How EMBARRASSING!

DeafLissa, never knew of anything called Pirition? Prescription?

No it's over the counter tablets, can take up to 3 a day. I take one in am, another before i go to bed.

What pisses me off with those tablets that they are so expensive!

I have seasonal allegery and mild allegery to water and nuts.

I have seasonal allegery and mild allegery to water and nuts.

You're allergic to water Charlotte? What kind of symptoms do you have?

I was just reminded that I need to call my GP, so I will post again as soon as I hear from her.

Allergies do have certain ties to asthma.
I have major allergies....So bad that I get the dry coughs... I does not necessarily mean you have asthma.

If you feel you have a major allergy that nothing is helping you.. which medication is not helping you. I would recommend you to speak to your doctor..for alternatives.

Steroids is another option. One that my mother has to take.. since her allergies is is severe. But i truly, I do not know how they will react to the medication you are currently taking.

I'm on 8 different meds, so I will need to discuss this with my GP.

My allergies are severe. They cause congestion, sneezing, dry cough, dry throat, headache and migraines.

I also wanted to mention that I don't wheeze which is one of the reasons why I do not feel like I have asthma. I do have coughing fits and struggle to breathe, but I don't wheeze nor do my lungs sound congested unless I have a chest cold.

Hi everyone,

I spoke to my GP and she called in a prescription for a nasal spray as well as an inhaler. I can't remember the name of the nasal spray, but the inhaler she put me on is called Albuterol. She decided to keep my Fexofenadine as is at 180mg once/day and thinks that the addition of the nasal spray and inhaler will help my congestion and dry cough. I'll be sure to let you know if it does. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. :)

I also wanted to add that I never asked if I have asthma because I think the coughing fits I have are strictly due to my allergies even though I have alot of difficulty when I'm in the cold.

But isnt albutoral an asthma medication? I'm sure it is?

You're allergic to water Charlotte? What kind of symptoms do you have?

I was just reminded that I need to call my GP, so I will post again as soon as I hear from her.

I come out in Hives when i shower or have bath it's just mild allergy, I drink filtered water and it's fine. I take prition twice a day, keeps it under control other wise i would be out in rash/hives!! My water here is so hard, I don't have problem with it in Austria and the water is much softer.

This is medication to help to relax and open up airways so it won't be just for asthma.

Allergies can also restrict a person's airways. When I'm exposed to dust, pet dander, mold, cigarette/cigar/pipe smoke, perfume/scents or cold air, it causes me to have coughing spells where I can't breathe.

Oh thanks both of you for the information!!

You're welcome. I just wrote another post with a further explanation, but you can ignore it.

By the way, I think I might have a mild case of asthma-induced allergies, but haven't discussed this with my GP.

I suspect she may agree or else she wouldn't have prescribed the Albuterol.

At any rate, whatever I have, I just hope it works! :)

I come out in Hives when i shower or have bath it's just mild allergy, I drink filtered water and it's fine. I take prition twice a day, keeps it under control other wise i would be out in rash/hives!! My water here is so hard, I don't have problem with it in Austria and the water is much softer.

:ty: for the explanation Charlotte. What brand name is Prition in the U.S.? I'm not familiar with generic names used in other countries.

Not sure to be honest, I have no idea on how to get US name for piriton. It's GlaxoSmithKline product. The ingredients are chlorphenamine maleate 4mg

Not sure to be honest, I have no idea on how to get US name for piriton. It's GlaxoSmithKline product. The ingredients are chlorphenamine maleate 4mg

I don't think they have a U.S. brand name equivalent. I did a Google search and learned that they are allergy tablets. I've never heard of this med before, so I didn't know if it went by another name.

It really sucks to read about your trouble with allergies, Hear Again! I've never had that kind of trouble when it comes to my allergies. I have a peanut allergy to which I am deathly allergic, so all I need is to carry around an EpiPen around with me just in case (but I rarely do because I take the necessary precautions, making sure something doesn't have any form of peanuts or peanut butter before I consume it). I'm also allergic to cats, as well as birch pollen, rag weed & grass. I find that I am never affected by the birch pollen. I assume that the pollen is usually what people are affected by at this time of year, but I've never really found myself affected by it.

It really sucks to read about your trouble with allergies, Hear Again! I've never had that kind of trouble when it comes to my allergies. I have a peanut allergy to which I am deathly allergic, so all I need is to carry around an EpiPen around with me just in case (but I rarely do because I take the necessary precautions, making sure something doesn't have any form of peanuts or peanut butter before I consume it). I'm also allergic to cats, as well as birch pollen, rag weed & grass. I find that I am never affected by the birch pollen. I assume that the pollen is usually what people are affected by at this time of year, but I've never really found myself affected by it.

Oh goodness Loghead. Peanut allergies are serious business.

I've heard of cases where children who eat any kind of food containing peanuts can have severe (or as you said fatal) symptoms.

I do consider myself VERY lucky in that respect since year round allergies won't kill me. They're miserable to have, but at least I don't have to worry about losing my life to them.

By the way, a neighbor of mine was able to take me to the drugstore for my nasal spray and Albuterol. I took both about an hour ago and then slept for 15 minutes. I feel considerably better now. I think the addition of both of these meds are exactly what I need in order to experience some relief throughout the day and night.

At any rate, I'm just glad both of them work as well as they do.

I've only taken one dose of each and can already tell a huge difference in the way I feel. :D

Having said all of that, I have a question for you. Is your EpiPen difficult to use? Does it hurt when you give yourself injections?

The reason I ask is because I have paranoia when it comes to needles. I experience severe panic attacks to the point where I need a nurse to tell me exactly when she will stick me with a needle because if she doesn't, I start to hyperventilate.

Back