All about turbos!!!

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
Do you look at what people drive and wonder why they got a Lincoln or Cadillac? Why did they not get anything with turbocharged engine?

I look at all those people who drives minivan and big vans. I wonder why they did not get anything turbocharged?

I think that turbocharged vehicles are the way to go. They're fun to drive!!!

Do you look at what people drive and wonder why they got a Lincoln or Cadillac? Why did they not get anything with turbocharged engine?

I look at all those people who drives minivan and big vans. I wonder why they did not get anything turbocharged?

Then why you bought a Dodge RAM without the turbocharger?

I meant that Cummins was only turbo offered on Rams. If Rams had any other types of Turbos, I think that the whole world will want to know ;)

I think naturally aspired engines are the way to go, especially when they're in the upper 300+ horsepower category.

My question is to you - have you drove a car that packs 300+ horsepower without turbos and compared them with turbos?

Nah, turbo isn't the way to go. Turbo makes the car less reliable than the NA version, depending how powerful the turbo is. For example, a 1986 Saab 900 turbo last time I heard that it died at over 320k miles on it but the turbo got shot at around 230k miles. I prefer not to have a turbo on the car that complicates things.

keep in mind the price difference between a turbo rebuild and a engine rebuild is huge, I changed the turbo on my car and it cost just a few beers for me and a mate and the turbo cost, and when fuel economy is bought in the equation I would imagine that the turbo would come out on top. One thing with turbos is use turbo specific oil or the cheap stuff thats on special will kill it.

keep in mind the price difference between a turbo rebuild and a engine rebuild is huge, I changed the turbo on my car and it cost just a few beers for me and a mate and the turbo cost, and when fuel economy is bought in the equation I would imagine that the turbo would come out on top. One thing with turbos is use turbo specific oil or the cheap stuff thats on special will kill it.

yes and you have to change the oil more often on cars with turbo than the cars without turbo. The turbo makes the oil wear out faster.

10000km is often enough just like na cars unless your racing everywhere, oil has come a long way in the past 20 years

ah, N/A or FI. Its an age old question. If you dont know much about cars and are just want an A-B mode of transportation, go N/A. People that own turbo'd/FI cars tend to be in a completely category.

Oh and OP..........Cummins=Diesel, does not necessarily mean turbo (most of the time yes, but some crazy people do run Cummins N/A diesels [why, who know's]).

I think naturally aspired engines are the way to go, especially when they're in the upper 300+ horsepower category.

My question is to you - have you drove a car that packs 300+ horsepower without turbos and compared them with turbos?

I have not tried, but I had a 1993 Eclipse GSX when I was in high school. It was fast for me!! Now I am an old man, but I still think turbos are cool!!

Nah, turbo isn't the way to go. Turbo makes the car less reliable than the NA version, depending how powerful the turbo is. For example, a 1986 Saab 900 turbo last time I heard that it died at over 320k miles on it but the turbo got shot at around 230k miles. I prefer not to have a turbo on the car that complicates things.

yes and you have to change the oil more often on cars with turbo than the cars without turbo. The turbo makes the oil wear out faster.

Depend how driver and engine are.

80's or older vehicle with turbocharger do not have the intercooler. Without the intercooler make turbocharger life short. That's why most new vehicle have intercooler for powerful turbocharger.

Most drivers don't know that engine with turbocharger SHOULD idle engine to cool down the oil for around five minutes before shut the engine down or oil get burn inside the turbocharger. It's make turbocharger and oil are life short.

Did you tried drive Subaru Sti? Do you noticed why it wont shut engine down immediately as you turned key off? It still running without key for 2-5 minutes till oil cool down then auto shut down.

Most diesel turbo's oil life last around 20k.

Last edited:
I have not tried, but I had a 1993 Eclipse GSX when I was in high school. It was fast for me!! Now I am an old man, but I still think turbos are cool!!

Powerful engine as 400hp just push your chest back on the seat so hard at low RPM and 450hp with turbocharger push your chest at high RPM.

My friend told me once that he drove on Ford Mustang with 600hp from his friend and he got stomach sore for few days.

Depend how driver and engine are.

80's or older vehicle with turbocharger do not have the intercooler. Without the intercooler make turbocharger life short. That's why most new vehicle have intercooler for powerful turbocharger.

Most drivers don't know that engine with turbocharger SHOULD idle engine to cool down the oil for around five minutes before shut the engine down or oil get burn inside the turbocharger. It's make turbocharger and oil are life short.

Did you tried drive Subaru Sti? Do you noticed why it wont shut engine down immediately as you turned key off? It still running without key for 2-5 minutes till oil cool down then auto shut down.

Most diesel turbo's oil life last around 20k.

A Australian car called the FPV F6 (its a 4lt straight 6 turbocharged) makes 422hp and 416lb of torque and its need a oil change every 15000km

A Australian car called the FPV F6 (its a 4lt straight 6 turbocharged) makes 422hp and 416lb of torque and its need a oil change every 15000km

One of my friend really want FPV F6 so badly and he said STUPID USA don't allow FPV F6. I guess FPV F6's emission failed due EPA. It's make sense since it's I6 like Skyline's EPA failed.

One of my friend really want FPV F6 so badly and he said STUPID USA don't allow FPV F6. I guess FPV F6's emission failed due EPA. It's make sense since it's I6 like Skyline's EPA failed.
I believe the USA emission laws are very strict. The 2011 Kawasaki ZX10 was put on a leash because of the USA emission laws. Everyone else gets the normal version except for them.

Back