Alimony in deaf divorce

Sandy Florida

Reaction score
Hi. I live in Florida and am getting a divorce. My husband and I were married for 20 years and have 4 children. My husband and children are all hearing.I have a masters degree but have stayed at home and taken care of the children for the past 18 years. I know typically with an education such as mine the courts would only give rehabilitative alimony until the wife could get back into the workforce. It is going to be harder for a deaf person to reenter the work force than a hearing person. Has anyone been through a divorce with a deaf alimony issue?

Divorce at the courts is a straight forward manner, here in my state its up and down half to one spouse and half to the other on all marital assets. Keyword Marital. Meaning house and so on. Sometimes the court has to order sale of the home and decide who does what with the vehicles or other items of value.

When children are involved that becomes a bigger heavy lift so to speak. Child support etc possibly in addition to alimony. Your Lawyer will know for sure whats best for you under your states laws in divorce. As far as the deaf vs workforce, thats something that falls under the SSA, via SSI etc. Im not certain about SSDI, even if that was awarded you would be out of the workforce except for part time and any "Earned" wages will count against it. In any case DHS would have support for your children should you gain custody. There is usually a DHS in most if not all counties.

Our divorce was very simple. House down the middle and sold. Then whatever marital debts (Credit cards etc) are paid out of that, bank issues remaining 50-50 to both ex'es under court supervision. Once completed across the board, the divorce is final and thats that. For us it was a signature followed by a summary acceptance by a judge. No contest or issues for him to go over. The necessary emotional damages or other parts of what led up to the divorce itself was eventually worked through by the two of us in private. We are friends and work together in life when necesssary without any problems.

One of the reasons for that is that in previous family divorce with us children was particularly destructive. And we break the circle on that. In the end it is what it is and we think we are doing better as friends in life. We think so. It takes a long time. I have been with very few people in my time due to trucking and am usually pretty cautious about that for a variety of different reasons too much to type here. Nothing bad.

Anyway, thats where the divorce gets taken care of anything and everything associated with it is at the Courthouse. Once you two have the decrees, edicts (Orders) and various other decision making what the Judge rules is what you two will have to work with. That and both of your lawyers. We both had one lawyer which was unusual but it was a non contested and amicable divorce. So it made it really easy for him and the Judge.

Good luck!

Back