Alexander Graham Bell and Mabel Gardiner Hubbard’s Love Story in Photos

Interesting story. Neat pictures. I didn't know about the National Geographic family connection.

I knew about their relationship a while ago. I recall it was Mabel's suggestion to add photos to the National Geographic magazines, because no one wanted to read dull NG magazines. Her suggestion worked.

Interesting piece! She's fortunate to have married somebody that cared for her and to love back. She had a very interesting and even exciting life. Funny now that National Geographic has ties directly to the Alexander G. Bell's family. What's next? Boycott the magazine for having that connection and daring to write an article that mentioned AGBell?

evo-dragon-albums-evo-dragon-s-animations-picture4782-jiro.gif

Interesting story. Neat pictures. I didn't know about the National Geographic family connection.

Not only that, he's one of the founders of Science magazine, too.

Bell was committed to the advancement of science and technology. As such he took over the presidency of a small, almost unheard-of, scientific society in 1898: the National Geographic Society. Bell and his son-in-law, Gilbert Grosvenor, took the society's dry journal and added beautiful photographs and interesting writing -- turning National Geographic into one of the world's best-known magazines. He also is one of the founders of Science magazine.
Alexander Graham Bell

Interesting piece! She's fortunate to have married somebody that cared for her and to love back. She had a very interesting and even exciting life. Funny now that National Geographic has ties directly to the Alexander G. Bell's family. What's next? Boycott the magazine for having that connection and daring to write an article that mentioned AGBell?

Seems he was lucky as she initially felt he was too careless in his appearance to be interesting.

It is nice she got the gift of Bell telephone. Being rich is nice. :lol:

And National Geographic came from her family , and stayed there through her son in law. So I guess she would have been rich anyway, even without Bell.

It is nice they had such a happy marriage.

Interesting piece! She's fortunate to have married somebody that cared for her and to love back.

Curious... how does that make her different from the rest of us? :hmm:

Curious... how does that make her different from the rest of us? :hmm:

So, all marriages are like them both with the amount of love and dedication to each other into old age? Especially when one is hearing and the other is deaf?

Some people can be very devoted to each other, even into old age. I don't see how hearing status should factor into that love. What if one was black and one was white? One was blind, the other seeing? Why would that change how they feel for each other?

Some people can be very devoted to each other, even into old age. I don't see how hearing status should factor into that love. What if one was black and one was white? One was blind, the other seeing? Why would that change how they feel for each other?

That's what I just showed.

Never said anything about hearing status being a factor rather that it was rare back in those days to see a hearing and deaf spouses get married and be true to each other to old age.

I thought it was very sweet. Especially at the end.. "Shortly before he died, Mabel held on to his hand and pleaded, “Don’t leave me.” Unable to speak, he replied, “No” in sign language." --that made my heart melt! But it was interesting to find out that Alex Bell was related to the National Geographic..

You showed one example, but by specifically noted hearing status you make it a factor. I fail to see how you could know the outcome of hearing and deaf marriages from well over 100 years ago. It's not like they can't still communicate.

I think it's exemplary when couples stay close for so long. I fail to see how her deafness makes it some special effort on his part. Maybe Alexander was the fortunate one...

You showed one example, but by specifically noted hearing status you make it a factor. I fail to see how you could know the outcome of hearing and deaf marriages from well over 100 years ago. It's not like they can't still communicate.

I think it's exemplary when couples stay close for so long. I fail to see how her deafness makes it some special effort on his part. Maybe Alexander was the fortunate one...

I never said they (other deaf & hearing couples) couldn't communicate. Man, dude. Lighten up!

Both were fortunate for each other because their love for each other was strong til the end.

Back